2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
The only way I can see Luchanko sticking is he's so good defensively, that they can be patient with his offense. Like 2-3 years patient.

I have been told ad nauseum that the NHL isn't a development league as justification for not playing young players over vets. This has been said year after year.

So how is Luchanko's offense supposed to develop in a non-development league?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Not really setting the bar high if NAK is the best example. Are you saying NAK should be on the team? If he was my guess, he would be i year 3 of a 5-year deal getting Laughton money. Then many sayin how bad a deal.

NAK rules.

1, 000 others also passed through who never did anything. There will always be examples of success stories.

You've always deliberately refused to understand there is a difference between "NAK is an NHL 4th liner" which he is, and "NAK is a legend," which you pretend people say and they never have.

He is emblematic of failed processes that see this team miss, overlook, and waste talent at every step. Leading to them burning various assets to fill out the roster, and then limiting their ability to build higher up.

Everything matters. Being attached to veteran bottom sixers instead of selling them when that's their true value and filling their spot with drafted talent to see how your scouting and development is going is the stuff of bad teams.

Nobody makes a big deal out of NAK the player. They make a big deal out of the processes at play then and now which caused the Flyers to lose a player for nothing, and get stuck with a worse player in the lineup instead.

Reactions: SaSaShi and pit

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Occam’s razor is the Flyers had a skewed perspective on Luchanko from even before they drafted him. It’s not much different from Keith Jones saying Bonk had a shot at making the team because he’s such a special player. Their assessment is not necessarily reality.

It’s not, but it seems they are closer to right than wrong.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Based on?
"Luchanko at 13? WTF these guys are stupid!! They don't know what they're doing! They missed a sure fire, #1 D prospect, norris winner, who went 6th as a d-man in his own draft class for a 3C! They're so stupid!"

"Luchanko looks pretty darn good! Wait, he's not blowing the doors down. But he's able to hang as an 18 year old. Wait, what? They're keeping him up! OMG they're so stupid!"

"Bonk was a stupid pick. They should have drafted another small, 1 dimensional winger, obviously. He he had an awesome season! . Oh... Bonk had an awesome D+1 year too? He sucks. Barely a top 4 upside d-man. *huge scoring season* Wait, that scoring rate will never translate. He's just a middle pair D-man with a role that can't possibly translate. Who cares that he's actually a really smart, effective player who had an awesome season. They're so dumb."

I mean, it's pretty easy to see it over 2 drafts. I'm not saying all these players will be stars. But nobody develops players hoping they'll become McDavids and Makars, because no matter who you are, that's a very small probability. You draft good players and hope they become those. Nobody drafts for the 1% outcome.

"Bjarnasson stinks! OMG what a terrible pick. Post rookie camp: wait, he's actually pretty good! And nevermind that we have another pick who's absolutely killing it in the KHL in Zavagrin! Can't be. Flyers suck at drafting, then developing them."

"Flyers obviously f'ed up with Kolosov. They threw him on an island with no internet, food or whatever, by himself, with nobody else in the world to help in like 99% of the other people in this world who have to move internationally."

I know we're angry with the Flyers, but there are some positives.

Reactions: Devonator

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
"Luchanko at 13? WTF these guys are stupid!! They don't know what they're doing! They missed a sure fire, #1 D prospect, norris winner, who went 6th as a d-man in his own draft class for a 3C! They're so stupid!"

"Luchanko looks pretty darn good! Wait, he's not blowing the doors down. But he's able to hang as an 18 year old. Wait, what? They're keeping him up! OMG they're so stupid!"

"Bonk was a stupid pick. They should have drafted another small, 1 dimensional winger, obviously. He he had an awesome season! . Oh... Bonk had an awesome D+1 year too? He sucks. Barely a top 4 upside d-man. *huge scoring season* Wait, that scoring rate will never translate. He's just a middle pair D-man with a role that can't possibly translate. Who cares that he's actually a really smart, effective player who had an awesome season. They're so dumb."

I mean, it's pretty easy to see it over 2 drafts. I'm not saying all these players will be stars. But nobody develops players hoping they'll become McDavids and Makars, because no matter who you are, that's a very small probability. You draft good players and hope they become those. Nobody drafts for the 1% outcome.

"Bjarnasson stinks! OMG what a terrible pick. Post rookie camp: wait, he's actually pretty good! And nevermind that we have another pick who's absolutely killing it in the KHL in Zavagrin! Can't be. Flyers suck at drafting, then developing them."

"Flyers obviously f'ed up with Kolosov. They threw him on an island with no internet, food or whatever, by himself, with nobody else in the world to help in like 99% of the other people in this world who have to move internationally."

It’s been 3 months since the draft and a preseason camp. Having that sway your opinion is an agenda.

Reactions: CerpinTaxt

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY

funny you mention these players, cause Briere has stated that the Flyers will be a team that doesnt have these types of players(at least 4 of them I guess theyd be happy if they had just 1 of them). You can look that up.

and another new positive police constable emerges. Heaven forbid that posters harp on the bad things the org has done consistently for over a 10 year period! The inept management that still rears its ugly head that has spun the team down the spiral of mediocrity with no end in sight. And no Luchanko, Bonk, and Bjarnasson(also Zvaragin seems to be the better prospect) arent the rudders steering this burning wreckage into relevance no matter how hard the PR team tries. Dont get me wrong I want the team to succeed I just dont see it happening without significant changes at the top, which a lot posters have stressed.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
funny you mention these players, cause Briere has stated that the Flyers will be a team that doesnt have these types of players(at least 4 of them I guess theyd be happy if they had just 1 of them). You can look that up.

and another new positive police constable emerges. Heaven forbid that posters harp on the bad things the org has done consistently for over a 10 year period! The inept management that still rears its ugly head that has spun the team down the spiral of mediocrity with no end in sight. And no Luchanko, Bonk, and Bjarnasson(also Zvaragin seems to be the better prospect) arent the rudders steering this burning wreckage into relevance no matter how hard the PR team tries. Dont get me wrong I want the team to succeed I just dont see it happening without significant changes at the top, which a lot posters have stressed.

I guess I didn’t realize that only the obtusely pessimistic have a place on this board.

The claim of ‘significant changes at the top is what I want to see’ is what makes the opinions of this forum seem very shallow. They’ve changed GMs, coaches, players, training, marketing staff and even a CEO.

I mean you can keep clamoring that changes need to happen at the top, but unless you think that means Comcast, maybe your expectations aren’t based in reality. Unless you define those changes at not the ‘top.’ In my experience, they don’t get much higher than that. You can disagree with the nuance of who they should hire, but changes have been made.

Posters here don’t harp on just the bad things. They harp on everything. Examples being a 4th round pick for EJ - a basically worthless draft pick for a professional best friend. Or digging on a Sean Walker trade, which required us weaponizing cap space to garner a 1st - of which Briere was the only GM was able to do so at that TDL, and is what this board clamors for.

It’s prevalent in many posts that this forum complains of a rebuilding team lacking cap space! That’s true on the surface, but a simple search alludes to being at the cap due to unwanted players acquired as a function of using that space - which is what rebuilding teams “do.” Or player left over from previous regimes.

There are many positive examples. There are also questionable ones. The amount of crap the org got over their process of picking Luchanko - and to now him demonstrating a possibility of hanging in the NHL as a fresh 18yo - whether you agree with his ultimate upside or not, that’s a pretty amazing pick done in the face of controversy.

So yeah - maybe, they are doing some good things.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I guess I didn’t realize that only the obtusely pessimistic have a place on this board.

The claim of ‘significant changes at the top is what I want to see’ is what makes the opinions of this forum seem very shallow. They’ve changed GMs, coaches, players, training, marketing staff and even a CEO.

I mean you can keep clamoring that changes need to happen at the top, but unless you think that means Comcast, maybe your expectations aren’t based in reality. Unless you define those changes at not the ‘top.’ In my experience, they don’t get much higher than that. You can disagree with the nuance of who they should hire, but changes have been made.

Posters here don’t harp on just the bad things. They harp on everything. Examples being a 4th round pick for EJ - a basically worthless draft pick for a professional best friend. Or digging on a Sean Walker trade, which required us weaponizing cap space to garner a 1st - of which Briere was the only GM was able to do so at that TDL, and is what this board clamors for.

It’s prevalent in many posts that this forum complains of a rebuilding team lacking cap space! That’s true on the surface, but a simple search alludes to being at the cap due to unwanted players acquired as a function of using that space - which is what rebuilding teams “do.” Or player left over from previous regimes.

There are many positive examples. There are also questionable ones. The amount of crap the org got over their process of picking Luchanko - and to now him demonstrating a possibility of hanging in the NHL as a fresh 18yo - whether you agree with his ultimate upside or not, that’s a pretty amazing pick done in the face of controversy.

So yeah - maybe, they are doing some good things.
EJ isn't needed so it is a waste of assets..even if it is just a 4th

and it wasn't a 1st for Walker alone...if it had been a 1st for just Walker we would have been ecstatic..but it wasn't and he was only traded when he wanted more then they wanted to pay him..otherwise he would have been re-signed

holding onto Laughton still

all and all it might be new pieces in upper management..but it is still the same MO in terms of how things are run

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course EJ is needed, did anyone claim Attard on waivers? That was your alternative, a player that even bad teams don't think is worth looking at. EJ is a serviceable veteran, perfect for #7. Better than Staal or Belpedio.

It was a 1st and cap room for Walker, Briere was smart enough not to take a 2nd (#50+) and a C asset to save cap room they don't need at this point in a rebuild. You want to save that cap room so you can garner a 3rd rd pick at the TDL? Cap room isn't worth what is was 2-3 years ago with a flat cap.

They'll look at Luchanko, but odds are 3C is Cates and 4LW is Laughton.
Again, no one claimed Lycksell or Richard.

If teams don't claim your waiver cuts they're saying those are marginal players.
Sure they might step up at some point, but if the Flyers actually put them in the lineup to start the season you'd be saying how much the team sucks if they have to start someone like Lycksell or Attard.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You've always deliberately refused to understand there is a difference between "NAK is an NHL 4th liner" which he is, and "NAK is a legend," which you pretend people say and they never have.

He is emblematic of failed processes that see this team miss, overlook, and waste talent at every step. Leading to them burning various assets to fill out the roster, and then limiting their ability to build higher up.

Everything matters. Being attached to veteran bottom sixers instead of selling them when that's their true value and filling their spot with drafted talent to see how your scouting and development is going is the stuff of bad teams.

Nobody makes a big deal out of NAK the player. They make a big deal out of the processes at play then and now which caused the Flyers to lose a player for nothing, and get stuck with a worse player in the lineup instead.
NAK is on his 5th team in 5 years, I think that's the definition of a "journeyman."
If that's the biggest loss on waivers the last decade, not much of a hill to fight for.
Trading Cousins for a 5th was a bigger mistake.

The obsession with minor details like this is laughable, the real problem is drafting NAK in the 2nd rd in the first place, like Allison, Ratcliffe, Laberge, . . .

The idea that a mediocre AHL player is suddenly going to blossom if you give him 15 minutes a night in the NHL is absurd.

You might make a case that someone like Richard, who seems to have taken his game up a notch the last two seasons in the AHL is being overlooked, but NAK was always marginal (and stupid to boot). However, most AHL players over 25 years old who shine tend to prove themselves to be AHL plus when they get extended NHL time. Experience lets them improve at the AHL level but limited talent is exposed at the NHL level.

Lycksell is a good example, he's become a very good AHL player, but if you watch him at the NHL level, he has top 9 skills, but lacks speed and the defensive instincts of Cates or Foerster. He could play in the NHL, but so did Willman (68 games) and Mayhew (57 games). MacEwen is up to 216 games and counting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad