2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
He clearly appears to be able to keep up in the NHL and is, even if embarrassingly, one of our top centers already. It's not "PR" to acknowledge that. It is an exciting premise and worthy of some praise as a fresh 18 year old.

Tortorella is just getting tunnel vision into thinking "He's one of our top centers already? Then he's making the team."

Unless he is extraordinary, Briere and Jones can't let this go beyond 9 games.
That's what we want from this guy, the ability to keep up. Not develop an offensive game or be a difference maker but just being able to keep up should justify a 13th overall pick

Would bet money they let this go past 9 games and then send him down after he gets scratched by John multiple times

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
If they keep luchanko beyond the 9 games, it would be a terrible mistake. There is absolutely no need for him to be up. It's a high risk move with zero reward.

I can understand it even if it has no logical sense.

They have a game-breaking prospect that came to them through the circumstances of pure chaos, and they feel like it's time to roll the dice and pray for a second miracle.

Following this team isn't mentally healthy, but oh well.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Is it fair to judge luchenko to judge him on his junior stats when he was 17 his last season?
Half the time people are slobbering about how physical advanced he is. He's so strong, he's so fast! Highest grip strength and total power output at the combine!

The other half of the time they are talking about how he was only 17 and still produced!

What would normally be impressive about his production at 17 would be the fact he did it while being physically immature compared to his competition.

If he is as physical advanced as the organization claims, it does a lot to nullify the idea that what he did at 17 was anything special.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Briere strikes me as a low integrity GM and is more concerned to look good than be good.

The cutter gauthier fiasco and lying beforehand and afterwards using vague language of the timeline to manipulate the whole situation, after he himself effed up. No accountability.

Stating that Bonk would go top 10 in re-draft to pump his own tires. How's that one looking?

Playing dumb throughout the whole Kolosov debacle similar to the cutter issue.

The Luchanko move reeks of insecurity of the Buium pass as well. You can't make this move with Luchanko, you just can't. How can these hockey lifers not see what the fans are seeing?? Did you not learn anything from rushing Zubrus?? At least the Zubrus mistake made hockey sense, since the flyers then were in cup mode and needed to get more depth. What is the benefit of rushing Luchanko? Move from the 11th pick to the 13th ?

I'm usually an optimist, but this organization is not in good hands. We need a new singular owner to lead the franchise so he can get rid of all these shenanigans.

Michkov is still in his honeymoon stage right now and sheet hasn't yet hit the fan. He is ultra competitive and once he matures and becomes the leader of the team, he won't put up with this.

I hope I am 100 percent wrong, but if the only strong personality is the head coach with little checks and balances, ship will sink.

Ed Snider is turning and cursing in his grave.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Sure, that might be true, but we've already seen the usual regression this organization gets from dmen as they smother his strengths in the hope that it will magically make him a defensive dman.
To be fair, I thought Sanheim and York really popped last year, especially early with Sanheim. York especially improved in his own end.

I hope Drysdale does the same.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Half the time people are slobbering about how physical advanced he is. He's so strong, he's so fast! Highest grip strength and total power output at the combine!

The other half of the time they are talking about how he was only 17 and still produced!

What would normally be impressive about his production at 17 would be the fact he did it while being physically immature compared to his competition.

If he is as physical advanced as the organization claims, it does a lot to nullify the idea that what he did at 17 was anything special.
Except he wasn't physically advanced at 16. At some point he had his growth spurt and filled out, probably over the last season.

5/26/22: 5'11 165

Can't find anything between 2022 and 2024.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What is with the conspiracy theories?
Maybe they just like how Luchanko has looked in camp and want to see him in real NHL games?
Whether this is the right move remains to be seen, I'm skeptical, but the motivation isn't some half assed attempt to CYA, b/c it makes no sense.

The idea this is a PR move is silly, come on, how many STHs will renew to see Luchanko?
Has Suzuki packed them into the seats in Montreal?
We're talking a 3C/4C this season, maybe a 2C in a couple years, and if lucky, a 1C by 2031-32.

Michkov is getting the lion's share of attention for good reason, he's going to be special.

No one, other than a few "know it all" die hard fans give a flying F about Luchanko.
Most Flyer fans will root for him if he's on the team, and hardly notice if he's sent back to the CHL.
There's no star power here, he's not Bedard, and he's not advertised as such.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Sure, that might be true, but we've already seen the usual regression this organization gets from dmen as they smother his strengths in the hope that it will magically make him a defensive dman.
Is Brad Shaw really good at his job, or does he look good in comparison to Torts, Rocky, Lappy, the greaseball and the rest of the ineptitude?

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Except he wasn't physically advanced at 16. At some point he had his growth spurt and filled out, probably over the last season.

5/26/22: 5'11 165

Can't find anything between 2022 and 2024.

Which is why scored 14 Points in 46 Games during the year he weighed in at 5’11” 165 and then was above the PPG after he filled out and became a first rounder.

I don’t have any earthly idea how this is supposed to be a counterpoint to what he said unless Luchanko woke up on March 4th and swallowed 10 lbs of extra calves.

• Wow

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
This team had a slam dunk scenario of getting a 1C prospect in this draft and then letting Luchenko slow cook into replacing Couturier as a middle C center down the line. Botching the easy stuff is not good.

• Wow

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Which is why scored 14 Points in 46 Games during the year he weighed in at 5’11” 165 and then was above the PPG after he filled out and became a first rounder.

I don’t have any earthly idea how this is supposed to be a counterpoint to what he said unless Luchanko woke up on March 4th and swallowed 10 lbs of extra calves.
Which is why he probably would have a breakout season if they sent him back.
Hardly played at 16, major role at 17 and would be the "man" at Guelph at 18.

Filling out allowed him to play a bigger role, but most CHL players don't jump from 14 points to 100+ points in one season. Getting stronger doesn't instantly make you an elite player, you have to process your new body and develop skills now that you have PT.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Tortorella simply doesn’t care for the play of the current centers on the roster. He’s ragged on Frost since forever. Ran an injured Couturier into the ground while benching him as well as belittling him. Played Poehling in spots above his performance levels. Tried to jam LWs into centers with Cates and Laughton. Now all that he has to play 1C is an eighteen year old that isn’t ready for the show. Sad state of affairs.

Reactions: Hanover Fist

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What’s the harm in giving Luchanko an up-to 9 game NHL look?

If he runs with it, great.

If he doesn’t, no problem, he wasn’t expected to, & returns to junior.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Charlie made the point that part of the reason Torts is down on Coots and Frost is because they don't skate fast (well Frost is fast but doesn't run around with his head cut off) and on the flipside he is the high guy on Poehling and Luchanko because they do skate fast. All while once golden boy Noah Cates, also slow, is a likely healthy scratch.

I'd like my NHL coach to evaluate with a bit more nuance, but it's hard to argue against it. Can kind of lump in what happened with PLD into that as well.

• Wow

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Charlie made the point that part of the reason Torts is down on Coots and Frost is because they don't skate fast (well Frost is fast but doesn't run around with his head cut off) and on the flipside he is the high guy on Poehling and Luchanko because they do skate fast. All while once golden boy Noah Cates, also slow, is a likely healthy scratch.

I'd like my NHL coach to evaluate with a bit more nuance, but it's hard to argue against it. Can kind of lump in what happened with PLD into that as well.
Frost just doesn't play fast, this is similar to what Torts said about Bonk. Has to process faster.

In the CHL, you have time to patiently wait to make your move, in the NHL the game is much faster and the windows are smaller. You can see that with Michkov, great vision but at times in preseason he seemed surprised how fast defenders got to him. Learning curve.

Frost has improved gradually the last few years, but he still goes MIA too often, he doesn't have great instincts (compare to Giroux, who is same size, slower but much smarter), and needs to use his speed to force the action instead of waiting for an opportunity to present itself.

The game is faster with the rule changes, which have eliminated most big, slow players and encouraged the movement to faster forecheckers on the bottom six to counter faster skill players.

Speed isn't enough, or Richard would have stuck in the NHL by now.
And Couts and Foerster show there's a place for smart players with average or slightly below average speed.
But if you have speed, learning how to use it to force the action makes you a better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad