2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Like @Random Forest said, this is probably the best array of talent available in the organization. But, that array of talent is still kind of shitty, so ideally they'd be taking steps to make it better in the future, like trading all these depth players who will be irrelevant by the time you'd expect to compete. In the hope that we can achieve some assets who will be relevant at that time.

They're mediocre and content to be so.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trading those depth players won't move the needle, and will mean you're force feeding guys who aren't ready (or they'd be pushing for jobs in camp, watching the games, it's pretty obvious who is NHL caliber) and signaling to the team you've given up on the season.

It's not like trading Hathaway and Seeler would get you a top 5 pick. More the difference between say #12 and #14. The success/failure of the goalies will have a far greater impact.

They're playing 12 starters 25 or under.
Next year a few graduate, but Bonk and Luchanko will be pushing for jobs, along with anyone who makes a jump this season.
In 2026, at least one pick from the 2025 draft should be pushing for a job.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
How does that top 6 look compared the team in the division?
Obviously they aren't at the top of the division but if Michkov is the real deal I think that top line is much closer to the top than the bottom of the division at least on paper. There's a dropoff on that second line but still pretty good, probably a little better than middle of the road compared to the rest of the division. I don't know all the line combos of all the teams in the division but Canes and Rangers I think are a step above everyone else. The Islanders and Caps made the playoffs last year, not sure what they look like this year but just looking at their rosters I'd say we are on par with them in the top six. Injuries, slumps, surprises, etc. can change all that but on paper I'd say a line of Michkov-Coots-Konecny and Tippett-Frost-Foerster compares to the other two playoff teams from last year. Comparing them to the Pens is hard because I think outside of Sid and Malkin the forward group isn't that great in Pitt but at the same time Sid and Malkin on the line is all that really matters.

Note that I said the team would be better than I expected, not that they are Stanley Cup contenders or anything like that. My assumption after last season was this team would be worse than last year but after Michkov coming over and his success in the preseason, if we can avoid major injuries and one of the goalies emerges I think this is a better team than last year and is probably a 7/8 playoff team. There's a lot of "ifs" involved in that but my concern with this team is defense and goalies a lot more than it is the forwards.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So the opening lineup appears to be:

Michkov (age 19) - Couturier (31) - Konecny (27)
Tippett (25) - Frost (25) - Foerster (22)
Farabee (24) - Luchanko (18) - Brink (23)
Laughton (30) - Poehling (25) - Hathaway (32)
Cates (25) - Deslauriers (33)

York (23) - Sanheim (28)
Seeler (31) - Drysdale (22)
Zamula (24) - Risto (29)
Johnson (36)

Ersson (24)
Fedotov (27)

That's a hell of a young team.

And Luchanko making the team at least for a tryout as a freshly turned 18 yr old straight out of the draft?

Hm. Sure doesn't fit the "Torts is an old dinosaur who hates young players" narrative.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Obviously they aren't at the top of the division but if Michkov is the real deal I think that top line is much closer to the top than the bottom of the division at least on paper. There's a dropoff on that second line but still pretty good, probably a little better than middle of the road compared to the rest of the division. I don't know all the line combos of all the teams in the division but Canes and Rangers I think are a step above everyone else. The Islanders and Caps made the playoffs last year, not sure what they look like this year but just looking at their rosters I'd say we are on par with them in the top six. Injuries, slumps, surprises, etc. can change all that but on paper I'd say a line of Michkov-Coots-Konecny and Tippett-Frost-Foerster compares to the other two playoff teams from last year. Comparing them to the Pens is hard because I think outside of Sid and Malkin the forward group isn't that great in Pitt but at the same time Sid and Malkin on the line is all that really matters.

Note that I said the team would be better than I expected, not that they are Stanley Cup contenders or anything like that. My assumption after last season was this team would be worse than last year but after Michkov coming over and his success in the preseason, if we can avoid major injuries and one of the goalies emerges I think this is a better team than last year and is probably a 7/8 playoff team. There's a lot of "ifs" involved in that but my concern with this team is defense and goalies a lot more than it is the forwards.
It's a high variability season.

Michkov, improvement by Farabee, Couts, Cates, Frost, Drysdale could give them an "average" offense (11-15th was 259 to 263 goals, Flyers had 231). An above average defense, top ten PK and an average PP should get them 95 or so points and a playoff berth.

Michkov struggling, some players getting injured/faltering could leave them with the same scoring as last season. Drysdale getting hurt, no one stepping up and Ersson/Fedotov playing below average in goal could end up with 80-85 points and picking 8th -12th.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It's a high variability season.

Michkov, improvement by Farabee, Couts, Cates, Frost, Drysdale could give them an "average" offense (11-15th was 259 to 263 goals, Flyers had 231). An above average defense, top ten PK and an average PP should get them 95 or so points and a playoff berth.

Michkov struggling, some players getting injured/faltering could leave them with the same scoring as last season. Drysdale getting hurt, no one stepping up and Ersson/Fedotov playing below average in goal could end up with 80-85 points and picking 8th -12th.

I don't disagree with that being their likely range, but that doesn't feel highly variable to me. That's the whole chaff section of the league.

10 teams were above 100 Points last year and another 4 at 98+. 5 teams were below 70. Everyone else is just kinda shuffled up depending on how things break.

Hell, that getting 5 jumps vs not point distribution is the oft-invoked Buffalo Sabres every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad