2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Think Luchanko is going down, reason for him not playing tonight is to avoid injury that would set back his development - always some AHL fool trying to make a name for himself.

Lycksell may stay, at 25 he doesn't need to play every day and has earned a spot.

Andrae is the 8th D-man, but at 22 needs to play everyday so he'll go back to LHV as the first call-up in case of injury.

Farabee - Couts - TK
Tippett - Frost - Michkov
Foerster - Cates - Brink
Laughton - Poehling - Hathaway

York - Sanheim
Seeler - Drysdale
Zamula - Risto
The shit you come up with is hysterical.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Good to hear he earned 9 games or less. Hope that motivates him in OHL this year.

He will be protected by the forwards. Defencemen and goaltenders get more exposed, but this should be a good thing for him as a forward.

Excited to watch him play in regular season although not expecting results (like Minten last year). If he does perform, that's gravy.

Cheers!

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I do not think Luchanko should be on the opening roster, but that lineup is objectively the best 12 in terms of talent in the organization. Can quibble about Cates’s place on the depth chart, but they actually have as good a lineup as we could expect with this personnel for once.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It would be stupid to keep Luchanko up, as an 18 year old, I don't think he's as good a center as Cates, so it doesn't help the team win this season.

Luchanko needs to play 20+ minutes in the CHL in every role, and work on his offensive skills.
In the NHL, he just won't get that opportunity, nor is he ready for it.

Reactions: freakydallas13

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It would be stupid to keep Luchanko up, as an 18 year old, I don't think he's as good a center as Cates, so it doesn't help the team win this season.

Luchanko needs to play 20+ minutes in the CHL in every role, and work on his offensive skills.
Agree, let's see what the Co-GM/coach thinks.

They may think he helps them win.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010

Development isn't linear though, every prospect is different. I'm sure this coaching staff and management group have seen this in their decades in the NHL. Development is changing too. Look at how Carlsson was load managed last year. But the idea is what path gets Luchanko to play 82 NHL games in 2025-26....

Path A
70 OHL games and OHL playoffs

Path B
1 game per week in Oct/Nov
2 games per week in Dec/Jan
3 games per week in Feb/March
Ie. Slowly ramping him up to ~50 NHL games this year when the AHL isn't an option.

Both scenarios could work imo.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
They don’t have to trade anyone, Richard gets waived

Right, but that leaves 14 forwards if they keep Luchanko.

They can roll with that for the road trip or 9 game tryout, but beyond that, they would have to send Jett back or jet someone else out.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Assuming health and hype all check out, that top six looks good. If these lines stick and Luchanko continues to play well the bottom six looks good as well. The defensive corps isn't great and goalies are obviously a huge question mark but honestly I think this team is going to be better than at least I expected.
How does that top 6 look compared the team in the division?

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Development isn't linear though, every prospect is different. I'm sure this coaching staff and management group have seen this in their decades in the NHL. Development is changing too. Look at how Carlsson was load managed last year. But the idea is what path gets Luchanko to play 82 NHL games in 2025-26....

Path A
70 OHL games and OHL playoffs

Path B
1 game per week in Oct/Nov
2 games per week in Dec/Jan
3 games per week in Feb/March
Ie. Slowly ramping him up to ~50 NHL games this year when the AHL isn't an option.

Both scenarios could work imo.

The opinion on Carlsson did not have to completely change based on a single training camp. Carlsson was a December birthday and a ~0.6 PPG guy in the SHL. Luchanko is a late August who was barely a top 50 PPG guy in the OHL on a below average but not terrible team.

There is no universe in which they were comparable prospects 3 months and zero RS/PO games after their draft day. You might as well bring up Bedard.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was referring to the disrespect Cates is getting around here.

I expect he'll be the 3C, he's probably in this game with Hathaway to give the kids some support (and b/c LHV is also playing exhibition games now).

They were playing him at 3C in practice with Laughton at 4LW.

Ew. So, going into the year planning to have two 4th lines.

Flyers aren't beating the "scoring is bad" accusations, that's for sure

• Haha
Reactions: Larry44

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
The opinion on Carlsson did not have to completely change based on a single training camp. Carlsson was a December birthday and a ~0.6 PPG guy in the SHL. Luchanko is a late August who was barely a top 50 PPG guy in the OHL on a below average but not terrible team.

There is no universe in which they were comparable prospects 3 months and zero RS/PO games after their draft day. You might as well bring up Bedard.
I'm not saying they are comparable prospects. The idea of the post above was that there could be multiple avenues to get a prospect ready for next season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Good to hear he earned 9 games or less. Hope that motivates him in OHL this year.

He will be protected by the forwards. Defencemen and goaltenders get more exposed, but this should be a good thing for him as a forward.
It wasn't anything for Laughton

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I'm not saying they are comparable prospects. The idea of the post above was that there could be multiple avenues to get a prospect ready for next season.

Fair enough. Hard agree on development not being linear and all of that.

But then why is Carlsson applicable to Luchanko's situation? Deady was specifically talking about him. You may say that we have to learn where that line actually is and fair enough again. But that feels like multiple significant levels down to me and a hell of a logical jump to make. If we were talking about Parekh, I can at least understand falling on either side. No one outside of the completely blinded by orange sect wanted this 6 weeks ago.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Fair enough. Hard agree on development not being linear and all of that.

But then why is Carlsson applicable to Luchanko's situation? Deady was specifically talking about him. You may say that we have to learn where that line actually is and fair enough again. But that feels like multiple significant levels down to me and a hell of a logical jump to make. If we were talking about Parekh, I can at least understand falling on either side. No one outside of the completely blinded by orange sect wanted this 6 weeks ago.
It's one of the first times we have seen it done where they load managed his games earlier in the season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Look at the amount of money spent on that 4th line. Beyond dumb to have that much invested as team that has missed the playoffs what 4 years now?

They have plenty of prospects to churn through to save money and free it up to build the roster up top, which in turn forces talent down the lineup. It's not like they're at any stage where playing those guys in those spots would matter, either, and if anything they might find some surprises. Investing at the bottom like this when you aren't close to contending is dead-end money that keeps you from having the cap resources needed to get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad