2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Why does anyone believe anything they say? Especially after Jones hopped on a podcast to admit they lied about the rebuild. He probably thought they could do that because they figured they'd make the playoffs and be smug at all the naysayers they had to falsely appease.
"Jonesy" awful quiet this camp. It seems anyway.

Tortorella was super candid innhis presser today:

" Drysdale doesn't know how to play the game yet, so we have to teach him how".

I know what he meant but it was super direct. You can't have thin skin with Torts.
Hope JD pouts as need more entertainment.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You are smart enough to know Torts is full of it. Rebuilding with essentially the same roster as last year.

He wants the playoffs very bad. Then he can say look at me and what I have done. This is potentially his last year coaching in the NHL. You think he wants to go out not making it 3 years in a row.

Let's say this is his last year coaching the Flyers. Do you see another NHL team hiring him to coach?

Even Mr Wonder himself can see that.
Why would this be his last year? He's not getting fired.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Drysdale's development and health is nearly as important as anything on our roster other than Michkov. He still has the potential to tilt that trade in our favor, should be easy for him since he put on 50 pounds of muscle in 3 months, that's what Comcast told me and Comcast has never lied to me or made my bill more expensive than it should be.
Yeah, agreed. Given the Cutter fiasco after they had hailed him and Michkov as The Franchise-Solving-1-2-Punch, they really need him to pan out. Not just for the looks. The team really needs that.

It takes about five moments of reading the initial trade thread to see my dismay; I was not a fan of his. It only takes a few pages more before you see me huffing the "Ah, but Eakins!" cope-gas. Eakins is the one coach I hold in higher disdain than AV. He is the only coach who isolates his dmen more, and has even less of an idea of how to support them in his end or use them going the other way. Truly, escaping him at his age means he has enough time to unlearn The Badness!

His early games here intrigued me. He was highly mobile and willing to try making plays with the puck. We won't talk about defense, but even on the attack without the puck his constant mobility at least forced other teams to pay attention to the guy constantly trying to be open, and that kind of thing can force lapses from the opposition as they ponder their coverage and handoffs and such, depending on scheme/gameplan. But then we started seeing the thing that we see with every D prospect: regression. He became stagnant on the blueline. Less shifting to be open and a threat, lots more camping the proper angles to ensure no risk of fast counterattack. Playmaking disappeared in favor of the safe plays. Get pucks deep, no cross-ice, etc. This dismays me. Those are the only strengths to his game and they're the exact thing we've seen this team vanish out of many a Dman. Vanish the strengths and all you have is weakness.

I am troubled by the course he traveled last season. On the plus side, his health might make all that irrelevant. On the down side, his health. I really want to see him succeed. He has the skill to be fun and effective. If he's allowed to be. On the other plus side, I am convinced CG is also a pretty big project. His playmaking is nonexistent and he needs to completely change his whole shooting game. Tall orders. Wouldn't be surprised to learn in the end that we took a bullet by dodging another.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It would be ironic if the player we take with Anaheim's 2nd rd pick turns out better than either one.

My expectations for Drysdale is limited, I'd be happy with 3rd pair RW and PP1 QB.
That would limit him to 16-17 minutes a night (keep him healthy).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It would be ironic if the player we take with Anaheim's 2nd rd pick turns out better than either one.

Weirdly not too worried about that with how the Flyers use 2nd round picks. Fortunately, we’ll have you reminding us — as usual! — that only 5% of 2nd round picks play x number of games. So, let’s not get too optimistic.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Weirdly not too worried about that with how the Flyers use 2nd round picks. Fortunately, we’ll have you reminding us — as usual! — that only 5% of 2nd round picks play x number of games. So, let’s not get too optimistic.

It might be Flahr's turn.

giphy.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Kucherov is a 2nd rounder...
So?

Have the Flyers shown the ability to draft a Kucherov in the 2nd rd?

Answer..no. Hell the best forward the Flyers have drafted the last 34 years is Brink...then NAK. We have to go back to 1990 when we drafted Renberg to find a top 6 forward we added in the 2nd rd.

I am sure next year will be different....

Last edited:

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
So?

Have the Flyers shown the ability to draft a Kucherov in the 2nd rd?

Answer..no. Hell the best forward the Flyers have drafted the last 34 years is Brink...then NAK. We have to go back to 1990 when we drafted Renberg to find a top 6 forward we added in the 2nd rd.

I am sure next year will be different....
Are we actually forgetting Robert Haag? Stud 2nd round pick

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
And Panarin was undrafted. Kucherov went second round after setting a u18 record that stood for years. Only happened because the league was scared to death to draft Russians.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
There is no way(well there is..we are talking about the Flyers) that Jett stays to be an extra..

He wouldn't be the extra. Someone else would. Cates or Brink, most likely.

But I don't think he makes the roster. He's played well, but I don't think he made an air tight case that he belongs in the NHL at 18.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
There is really a chance that Luchanko will start season as a 3C & Cates will be only a healthy scratch meanwhile Laughton as a 4LW???

Please, tell me, it's not going happen...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Aside from how bad for his development it would be to be a bottom sixer on a Torts team instead of a 1C in Junior, he's not a better NHL player than either Cates or Bonk. Also, Cates has to my knowledge never been healthy scratched by Torts.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There is really a chance that Luchanko will start season as a 3C & Cates will be only a healthy scratch meanwhile Laughton as a 4LW???

Please, tell me, it's not going happen...
It's not going to happen, it was never going to happen.
If you've watched Luchanko the last couple games it's obvious he's not NHL ready.
Same with Bonk.
Good experience to take back to the CHL (learn to think the game faster).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad