2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Only 32 D-men had 30 or more ES points last season.
Another 60 scored between 20-29.

A plus defender who scores 20+ at ES is a top 3 D-man.

You’re still describing late career Olli Määttä. Is that a top 3 Defenseman?! I mean, if it is to you, fair enough. As long as it’s applied consistently…and I might point out that was mostly Ghost’s partner, so you’d have to pick one of the two to get the credit.

Or are we saying 18 vs 22 ESP completely changes a discussion? I sure hope not.

• Haha
Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You’re still describing late career Olli Määttä. Is that a top 3 Defenseman?! I mean, if it is to you, fair enough. As long as it’s applied consistently…and I might point out that was mostly Ghost’s partner, so you’d have to pick one of the two to get the credit.

Come on Jojo. You know damn well that theres a monstrous difference between 18 and 22 ESP over the course of 82 games.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Have we forgotten Ristolainen

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Come on Jojo. You know damn well that theres a monstrous difference between 18 and 22 ESP over the course of 82 games.

Well technically I didn't even do the math on prorating scoring numbers. And most players miss at least one game.

So the actual number is higher than 92. 20/82 is an average of 0.244 ESP/G. And then we could normalize it for Minutes and we're certainly over 100 without even accounting for 2 Points over 82 Games somehow changing everything. And then...well, let's just say I would appreciate it if he just said that Detroit Pair is good and I can forget this ever happened.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Well technically I didn't even do the math on prorating scoring numbers. And most players miss at least one game.

So the actual number is higher than 92. 20/82 is an average of 0.244 ESP/G. And then we could normalize it for Minutes and we're certainly over 100 without even accounting for 2 Points over 82 Games somehow changing everything. And then...well, let's just say I would appreciate it if he just said that Detroit Pair is good and I can forget this ever happened.

I dont want to be the person to tell you this, but... you have only yourself to blame.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He's in the mix. He might make it, he might not. Might get 9 games, might stick longer. Not weird if he does, not weird if he doesn't.

Boy. Really planting your flag aren't you.
I apologize for thinking he is on the bubble. I suppose you have some better insights. Could you tell me what I should think?

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
He’s got a high end top gear and multi-crossover pop. The point I keep emphasizing is it’s not WITH the puck, or it’s into a lane for someone to give it to him. It stood out on Guelph how little the fastest guy and best player on the team was used to solo transition it. Hopefully, he makes some progress there. But that’s not all (or even mostly) his skating.

I don’t know how you’re defining footwork, but I’m not defining it as crossovers. I’m talking stop/starts, edges, step patterning. It’s fine, but I do find his lower half on the stiff side. A lot of it is deception; he doesn’t have much wiggle. That’s a complicated chaining of skills.

So, he needs an elite offensive guy (he ain’t coming) to be a top pair defender, but he can carry a 2nd pair? Carry it how? When the distinction between 1st and 2nd pair usage is blurred today?

As I said, the talent level to be this kind of player is understated. You’re basically telling me his impacts will be Sanheim-level, shift the adjectives around. We did this with Provorov (and then some), York…..Bonk’s profile isn’t even that.
I did like his race to the net with the puck on Saturday, I was impressed!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad