2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I'd say there's always Reddit as a palate cleanse of relentless positivity, but they also spend a bizarre amount of time whining about Gauthier. The Michkov era is here, who gives a shit about CG. I cannot figure out that particular obsession
I’m just saying bro we have something here as dog shit as Comcast is, let’s try to see the light together; the loathing shit is draining, I’m not saying we shouldn’t critique the players and management as they deserve but this board getting horrid quick. And to be honest you humans are all I have to talk flyers hockey so I care and I’m invested

This was the positive place as recently as the Hextall era. People fell off that particular bandwagon at various times, but at some point it become clear to almost everyone that the problems go so far beyond who the GM is that it’s hard to have any hope.

None of that minimizes what Michkov can be. But for me personally, all I want is trust that the org is on a logical path. I’ll happily watch a rebuild, a growing young team, or a contender and enjoy them in different ways. The point is that following the team isn’t a waiting game for the next instance of them missing the forest for the trees. It is supposed to be fun.
Yeah the rebuild never happened as it should have. Now we have Michkov, and I know the organization mindset it build around him now, we’ll never rebuild as we should have but because we lucked out with Michkov it might work, if we win one cup before I die (I’m 36) it’s a massive win, I’m hoping and praying.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers have Drysdale (#6), Michkov (#7), Risto (#8), Couts (#8), Tippett (#10), Luchanko (#13), York and Farabee (#14), Sanheim (#17).
TK (#22), Foerster (#23), Poehling (#25), Frost (#27)
Luchanko (#13), Bonk (#22)

Is that enough high picks?

Of course, 4-5 years after being drafted, where you were drafted is no longer relevant.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Okay, I can agree the organization is a dumpster fire and guess what? Comcast isn’t selling anytime soon we’re f***ed. We do have Michkov a piece few teams get every 5-7 years to build around a true special talent, I’m saying let’s try to live in the suck together and be more positive than constant negative about everything. Yeah a lot of things suck but we do have a younger team that is coming up, we can’t change the bullshit just behave differently. Management ain’t gonna change, the team it is what it is As it stands and I’d prefer to have constructive convos then nonstop cry babies ?
I will have more faith when torts is gone and they let the scout find players that are high iq mixed with skill instead of catering to coaches preferences.

When they go back to this they will find players. This past draft it looked like Breidenbach is trying to do both appease the coach and find talent outside the top of the draft.

Michkov looks great always seems to anticipate where the puck will be. Hope that torts doesn’t coach that out of him for more structure. It’s what happened to ghost under av.

Also see some of that in Jett. Coots had it. Giroux. Did. Hell even Patrick had it till his brain failed. Hope they give Jett like 4-5 games before sending him back. I think he would really improve his game that way.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Seems like cutter is having a very strong camp. Had 14? Shots on goal in first exhibition game. Ducks brass and fans raving how he protects the puck Jagr-like and has a high hockey IQ with great skills/atheticism. Setting a low bar at 30 goals several are thinking 40+. Time will tell.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Flyers have Drysdale (#6), Michkov (#7), Risto (#8), Couts (#8), Tippett (#10), Luchanko (#13), York and Farabee (#14), Sanheim (#17).
TK (#22), Foerster (#23), Poehling (#25), Frost (#27)
Luchanko (#13), Bonk (#22)

Is that enough high picks?

Of course, 4-5 years after being drafted, where you were drafted is no longer relevant.

Depends.

Does quality matter? Development? I suspect they do.

Being picked high alone doesn't make a player good. And most of those aren't considered high picks.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Seems like cutter is having a very strong camp. Had 14? Shots on goal in first exhibition game. Ducks brass and fans raving how he protects the puck Jagr-like and has a high hockey IQ with great skills/atheticism. Setting a low bar at 30 goals several are thinking 40+. Time will tell.

I figured I'd look at the box score. 12 shots credited now, and unsurprisingly none of them went in. Until he starts making those shots happen closer, he will struggle to hit past 25.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Lmfao Cutter, Jagr like, I’d be shocked if he ever tops 65-70 points in the NHL obviously you haven’t followed him through his Junior/ collegiate career, he has a low hockey IQ, he’ll go as far as his center takes him. Elite shot is where it all ends, reminds me of how Wayne Simmons’s handled the puck (grenade shit )and he’s one of my fav players of all time.

Last edited:

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
How much of Cutter have you watched after he was drafted?

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Lmfao Cutter, Jagr like, I’d be shocked if he ever tops 65-70 points in the NHL obviously you haven’t followed him through his Junior/ collegiate career, he has a low hockey IQ, he’ll go as far as his center takes him. Elite shot is where it all ends, reminds me of how Wayne Simmons’s handled the puck (grenade shit )and he’s one of my fav players of all time.
Yeah high iq and cutter are like oil and water.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah high iq and cutter are like oil and water.
100% agree, I also think Anaheim so far clearly now won the trade. If Drysdale really put that muscle on and can move like he does he could be a ( I know some people are gonna lose it on this board a ghost but way better ) he’s just a bigger body and his edgework is insane you can see it, he could be a top 3 monster, but unlikely. We’ll have to see who knows

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
100% agree, I also think Anaheim so far clearly now won the trade. If Drysdale really put that muscle on and can move like he does he could be a ( I know some people are gonna lose it on this board a ghost but way better ) he’s just a bigger body and his edgework is insane you can see it, he could be a top 3 monster, but unlikely. We’ll have to see who knows
Only if torts lets the players play that way. Torts is way too structured in the d zone to allow players to jump passing lanes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think sometimes people confuse Hakstol, AV and Torts.

Watching the Flyers play under Torts, it's a high tempo, speed game so far, intense forecheck and scoring off the rush.

They still need to develop a "half court" game (i.e. clean entries and a functional cycle that ends with a play in the high danger areas), but that reflects talent. Walker helped but then got traded. Michkov will help, Drysdale?

I think Torts has been conservative simply b/c they've lacked offensive firepower - you need at least 2 lines that can score to play a more aggressive game. The key player this season is probably Couts, he had great metrics for a center last year, but just couldn't get his offensive game going.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don’t think people that joined in the last ~5 years understand and I completely get why.

The early Hextall years had @Striiker posting We Are Witnesses Nike/Hextall memes in every trade thread. There’s no determination to be miserable.
Forget “early”, i was still on-board even during the late Hextall years. At that point people would argue with me that I was being too positive. :laugh:

I believe my exact comment when he got fired was that I was against it because, while he had obvious flaws, you could do SO MUCH WORSE in an NHL GM and I had zero faith that the Flyers garbage management would hire anyone as good or better.

Everything since that point has been downhill so any present day positivity and optimism is just thinly disguised delusion.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I’m just telling you what has beeen said about him by fans and brass. 14 shots in a game is pretty impressive. Even in exhibition. They just said his game was dynamic and his skills and sense have a real nhl top end feel. Just repeating what I heard. I’ve watched several games. I think he can be a good one. He will score goals. If the other stuff comes around, as is being stated, you’ll have a real deal hockey player.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I aim to please good sir.

Also, I humbly request a doggo picture.
image.jpg

Forget “early”, i was still on-board even during the late Hextall years. At that point people would argue with me that I was being too positive. :laugh:

I believe my exact comment when he got fired was that I was against it because, while he had obvious flaws, you could do SO MUCH WORSE in an NHL GM and I had zero faith that the Flyers garbage management would hire anyone as good or better.

Everything since that point has been downhill so any present day positivity and optimism is just thinly disguised delusion.
I was too. That first year of av was hextals team he build they were playing great hockey till Covid.

His stubbornness did him in

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I think sometimes people confuse Hakstol, AV and Torts.

Watching the Flyers play under Torts, it's a high tempo, speed game so far, intense forecheck and scoring off the rush.

They still need to develop a "half court" game (i.e. clean entries and a functional cycle that ends with a play in the high danger areas), but that reflects talent. Walker helped but then got traded. Michkov will help, Drysdale?

I think Torts has been conservative simply b/c they've lacked offensive firepower - you need at least 2 lines that can score to play a more aggressive game. The key player this season is probably Couts, he had great metrics for a center last year, but just couldn't get his offensive game going.
Torts entire coaching style is to get the most out of the least talented players.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
see here's my problem..realistically..beyond MM..what is there really to be excited about with this team in the near or even not to near future...there, to me, really isn't much

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I’m just telling you what has beeen said about him by fans and brass. 14 shots in a game is pretty impressive. Even in exhibition. They just said his game was dynamic and his skills and sense have a real nhl top end feel. Just repeating what I heard. I’ve watched several games. I think he can be a good one. He will score goals. If the other stuff comes around, as is being stated, you’ll have a real deal hockey player.
Or the next Patrick Laine.

He'll be a solid goal scoring LW, but we'll see how good.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
14 shots in a game is impressive. It also screams he only sees the goal and not the ice. Best players see the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad