2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
You guys have to think like Jones and Briere.

Cates, Poehling and Laughton are underwhelming options for 3C, management took flak for passing on Buium, and their shiny new toy has impressed through camp.

I'd be surprised if they weren't trying to get him on the opening night roster, despite putting NHL regulars on the outside looking in.

I doubt Luchanko sticks around, but I'm fairly certain they're looking for reasons to keep him around.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You guys have to think like Jones and Briere.

2001+11-11+stargate.gif

But in reverse.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
There isn’t a single available spot for Luchanko in the top 12. Let’s say he was D+1 Ryan O’Reilly (which I’m not saying he is, and I firmly believe he’s a send down)…..well, they don’t have room! This is what happens when you’re deathly afraid of parting with Laughton.
I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: if your rebuild's success depends on you keeping a 30 year old 4th line center, you've failed before you even begun.

Last edited:

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
This stupid "must defend not trading Laughton" ideal contrarians have to push to avoid admitting management has no plan makes me laugh every time I see it. For YEARS contrarians would defend plugs like VdV or MacEwan when we said we wanted to upgrade on them because the team was trying to win and they were actively hurting the team. "The team can't possibly ever upgrade on the players it already has! They have no choice!" Etc.

But now that the team is rebuilding and isn't trying to win? Suddenly these 4 liners become the most crucial part of the entire operation. Dynasties are built on the backs of 4th liners. A world without Scott f***ing Laughton is a world where we are no different than the Buffalo Sabres. He is so essential to this team, to even consider trading him is tantamount to tanking.

I have to laugh, because it's so stupid that if management really thinks this way I'll want to cry.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Can I ask why anyone bothers to tune in anymore, or even waste away days on this board arguing over the most mundane details that amount to nothing season after season?

Even if they catch lightning in a bottle for a few stretches, they are light years behind the development of at least a dozen teams in the NHL today.

Year after year, I look around the league and am far more interested in so many other players and teams than these idiotic iterations of the Flyers season after season.

I am still convinced this team will never be a contender, or something worth watching until Comcast, and the entire regime is sold off. I used to make 3 and 4 trips a year to catch games in Philly, (coming from Long Island) my entire family makes jokes about making the trip now. That's where we're at these days. Sad.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Luchanko was a year older, coming off a D-0 breakout season, he'd be a lock.
But it makes no sense to force feed him this season.
Has nothing to do with "Laughton" love, just common sense.

That being said, Luchanko and Bonk will probably stick to close to the end of TC (and if Barkey was healthy) to give them a feel for NHL hockey. Both are good bets to stick next fall.

The best AHL players will stick until a few days before the AHL exhibition games begin, and get sent down to prepare for the season.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I get that, but does this organization have an incredibly high bar for him to pass? I'd almost rather just say "we're sending him down no matter what, Jett's fighting for his 9 cups of coffee here, not a permanent roster spot."

I'm not sure I disagree with them if that's the case. This is one of the actual cases where you only do it if you have no choice.

And I wouldn't say it because you don’t want him thinking that way. You want him focused on playing and nothing else.

Reactions: deadhead

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Can I ask why anyone bothers to tune in anymore, or even waste away days on this board arguing over the most mundane details that amount to nothing season after season?

Even if they catch lightning in a bottle for a few stretches, they are light years behind the development of at least a dozen teams in the NHL today.

Year after year, I look around the league and am far more interested in so many other players and teams than these idiotic iterations of the Flyers season after season.

I am still convinced this team will never be a contender, or something worth watching until Comcast, and the entire regime is sold off. I used to make 3 and 4 trips a year to catch games in Philly, (coming from Long Island) my entire family makes jokes about making the trip now. That's where we're at these days. Sad.
Very well put. After 50 years as a fan, I’ve never been less interested in the upcoming season.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

I don't like telling anyone how to fan, or why to be a fan...but you legitimately asked, so my response is 100% genuine.

This is actually the most excited I've been to watch the Flyers in quite some time. 4 reasons...

1. Legitimately fun prospects/rookies that I like to track/watch live in Juniors/World Juniors
-Michkov
-Luchanko
-Bonk
-Barkey
-Ruohonen
-Andrae
-Carson B
-Kolosov or you can replace him with Pautov for this lists sake

2. I enjoy watching these current Flyers play hockey
-TK
-Farabee
-York
-Drysdale
-Foerster
-Frost
-Tippett
-Sanheim
-Brink

3. Future Draft Picks and some cap space coming
-3 1sts in 2025, 3 2nds in 2025
-Hopefully we will start seeing some CAP SPACE next year and the years following

4. Living in the area - if you are around hockey in Philly or South Jersey, Flyers footprint is apparent and still cool
-Stepping on the ice at FTC/Hollydell - being around the players, running into Danny B at Otts in Voorhees, working with Snider hockey...there are still some really good people in this organization, and being a small blip in the Flyers community makes me feel good... I want nothing more than sustained success for the team
-Also I moved around a lot the last 10 years, lived all over and played hockey all over...but getting back into hockey again after some time off... the hockey community in South Jersey/Philadelphia - is the best I've ever been a part of

Sure the direction of this team has sucked, there's been awful decision making, and some insanely bad luck - but it feels like we finally may have lucked into a superstar with Michkov, and can surround him with some decent young kids in Bonk, Luchanko, and lets pray some of our 2025 1sts hit and can contribute.

I didn't want to keep TK, Laughton, or pretty much any of the vets/somewhat tenured players - but maybe this allows Michkov to hit the ground running in ways not possible with a torn down team. Who knows, they prob still F it up, but you never know

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I don't like telling anyone how to fan, or why to be a fan...but you legitimately asked, so my response is 100% genuine.

This is actually the most excited I've been to watch the Flyers in quite some time. 4 reasons...

1. Legitimately fun prospects/rookies that I like to track/watch live in Juniors/World Juniors
-Michkov
-Luchanko
-Bonk
-Barkey
-Ruohonen
-Andrae
-Carson B
-Kolosov or you can replace him with Pautov for this lists sake

2. I enjoy watching these current Flyers play hockey
-TK
-Farabee
-York
-Drysdale
-Foerster
-Frost
-Tippett
-Sanheim
-Brink

3. Future Draft Picks and some cap space coming
-3 1sts in 2025, 3 2nds in 2025
-Hopefully we will start seeing some CAP SPACE next year and the years following

4. Living in the area - if you are around hockey in Philly or South Jersey, Flyers footprint is apparent and still cool
-Stepping on the ice at FTC/Hollydell - being around the players, running into Danny B at Otts in Voorhees, working with Snider hockey...there are still some really good people in this organization, and being a small blip in the Flyers community makes me feel good... I want nothing more than sustained success for the team
-Also I moved around a lot the last 10 years, lived all over and played hockey all over...but getting back into hockey again after some time off... the hockey community in South Jersey/Philadelphia - is the best I've ever been a part of

Sure the direction of this team has sucked, there's been awful decision making, and some insanely bad luck - but it feels like we finally may have lucked into a superstar with Michkov, and can surround him with some decent young kids in Bonk, Luchanko, and lets pray some of our 2025 1sts hit and can contribute.

I didn't want to keep TK, Laughton, or pretty much any of the vets/somewhat tenured players - but maybe this allows Michkov to hit the ground running in ways not possible with a torn down team. Who knows, they prob still F it up, but you never know
I applaud your well-rounded view of the current state, and your positive, optimistic outlook. It's admirable considering what we've been through for the past 13 years or so. I hope you're right.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I applaud your well-rounded view of the current state, and your positive, optimistic outlook. It's admirable considering what we've been through for the past 13 years or so. I hope you're right.
The lack of high end talent is upsetting and will be our downfall, but… maybe we get lucky and 1-2 of our current players become top top guys (maybe Jett and Bonk), and maybe we hit on another pick next year, and make a nice move in FA or via trade

Reactions: Crescent Street

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I have to agree with Bill that's it's stupid for Kolosov to ghost the Flyers/Phantoms when he doesn't have another team to play for. I thought he was going to be in the KHL, but apparently not.

Rather that playing hockey in NHL camp and working to position himself for a chance to be calletd up to the big team if and when there's an injury or other impetus to recall him to play some NHL games, Kolosov is currently a player without a team. He's under NHL entry-level contract and is not of high enough priority for his KHL team to flout the NHL/KHL non-interference agreement over valid contracts. He already spent a year on loan to KHL team Dinamo Minsk at Flyers expense (burning year one of his ELC in the process). Additionally, Kolosov has willfully opened the opportunity door for a competing talented but unproven and inconsistent goalie (former San Jose Sharks netminder Makiniemi).

Reactions: flyersnorth

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Edmonton has got to the finals ONCE, with the best player of the last two decades, and a slew of high 1st rd picks surrounding him.

NJ has (2) 1st rd picks plus 4 other top 10 picks over the last decade, had once good season then regressed.

Toronto has a group of elite offensive forwards and can't get out of the 1st rd.

Meanwhile, Carolina consistently gets 100+ points and 2nd rd or deeper, Boston continues to be a top team, FLA has two top picks in Barkov and Ekblad, and so on.

You can be top heavy, or build a deep team. More than one way to skin a cat.

The current FO is rebuilding, not the way some here would want, but they have a deep (if not top heavy) group of prospects, one of the youngest teams in the league, and probably 5 picks in the top 40 in the 2025 draft (after #40 talent really starts to fall off).

So I'll withhold judgement whether this approach is working until 2026-27 or so.

I'm not going to get excited that they failed to get 3rd rd picks for Seeler and Hathaway so they could pick #12 instead of #18. If they're not a PO team, they'll move people at the TDL because they have Luchanko and Bonk coming next season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Edmonton has got to the finals ONCE, with the best player of the last two decades, and a slew of high 1st rd picks surrounding him.

NJ has (2) 1st rd picks plus 4 other top 10 picks over the last decade, had once good season then regressed.

Toronto has a group of elite offensive forwards and can't get out of the 1st rd.

Meanwhile, Carolina consistently gets 100+ points and 2nd rd or deeper, Boston continues to be a top team, FLA has two top picks in Barkov and Ekblad, and so on.

The current FO is rebuilding, not the way some here would want, but they have a deep (if not top heavy) group of prospects, one of the youngest teams in the league, and probably 5 picks in the top 40 in the 2025 draft (after #40 talent really starts to fall off).

So I'll withhold judgement whether this approach is working until 2026-27 or so.

I'm not going to get excited that they failed to get 3rd rd picks for Seeler and Hathaway so they could pick #12 instead of #18. If they're not a PO team, they'll move people at the TDL because they have Luchanko and Bonk coming next season.

All of their approaches, even the flawed ones, are vastly better than the Flyers approach. Every one of them has a realistic path to a Cup most are currently contenders. The Flyers don't even have a reliable path to the playoffs. This is a ridiculous post. You're defending failure by denigrating teams with more success.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Funny how you try to justify the Flyers losing ways model.

They are not rebuilding. They are towing the middle of the road approach hoping to strike lightning in a bottle. There is no real plan at all.

Stop with the BS one of the youngest teams in the league nonsense. Use some context. Also is it about having talent or being the "youngest". The talent they have every other f***ing team on the NHL has as well. Many with more.

They will move no one at the deadline. Not how they operate.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No, but they also manage to have lower and fewer draft picks. Does that help?

They head into the 2025 Draft with 6 picks in the first 2 rounds and 12 overall.

That is, until Flahrsy the Hutt spends more time eating than scouting again so he convinces Briere to punt some of those picks to 2026.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad