2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
You guys have to think like Jones and Briere.

Cates, Poehling and Laughton are underwhelming options for 3C, management took flak for passing on Buium, and their shiny new toy has impressed through camp.

I'd be surprised if they weren't trying to get him on the opening night roster, despite putting NHL regulars on the outside looking in.

I doubt Luchanko sticks around, but I'm fairly certain they're looking for reasons to keep him around.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You guys have to think like Jones and Briere.

2001+11-11+stargate.gif

But in reverse.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
There isn’t a single available spot for Luchanko in the top 12. Let’s say he was D+1 Ryan O’Reilly (which I’m not saying he is, and I firmly believe he’s a send down)…..well, they don’t have room! This is what happens when you’re deathly afraid of parting with Laughton.
I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: if your rebuild's success depends on you keeping a 30 year old 4th line center, you've failed before you even begun.

Last edited:

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
This stupid "must defend not trading Laughton" ideal contrarians have to push to avoid admitting management has no plan makes me laugh every time I see it. For YEARS contrarians would defend plugs like VdV or MacEwan when we said we wanted to upgrade on them because the team was trying to win and they were actively hurting the team. "The team can't possibly ever upgrade on the players it already has! They have no choice!" Etc.

But now that the team is rebuilding and isn't trying to win? Suddenly these 4 liners become the most crucial part of the entire operation. Dynasties are built on the backs of 4th liners. A world without Scott f***ing Laughton is a world where we are no different than the Buffalo Sabres. He is so essential to this team, to even consider trading him is tantamount to tanking.

I have to laugh, because it's so stupid that if management really thinks this way I'll want to cry.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Can I ask why anyone bothers to tune in anymore, or even waste away days on this board arguing over the most mundane details that amount to nothing season after season?

Even if they catch lightning in a bottle for a few stretches, they are light years behind the development of at least a dozen teams in the NHL today.

Year after year, I look around the league and am far more interested in so many other players and teams than these idiotic iterations of the Flyers season after season.

I am still convinced this team will never be a contender, or something worth watching until Comcast, and the entire regime is sold off. I used to make 3 and 4 trips a year to catch games in Philly, (coming from Long Island) my entire family makes jokes about making the trip now. That's where we're at these days. Sad.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Luchanko was a year older, coming off a D-0 breakout season, he'd be a lock.
But it makes no sense to force feed him this season.
Has nothing to do with "Laughton" love, just common sense.

That being said, Luchanko and Bonk will probably stick to close to the end of TC (and if Barkey was healthy) to give them a feel for NHL hockey. Both are good bets to stick next fall.

The best AHL players will stick until a few days before the AHL exhibition games begin, and get sent down to prepare for the season.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I get that, but does this organization have an incredibly high bar for him to pass? I'd almost rather just say "we're sending him down no matter what, Jett's fighting for his 9 cups of coffee here, not a permanent roster spot."

I'm not sure I disagree with them if that's the case. This is one of the actual cases where you only do it if you have no choice.

And I wouldn't say it because you don’t want him thinking that way. You want him focused on playing and nothing else.

Reactions: deadhead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad