Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Sam Reinhart should be priority #2 behind re-signing Swayman. If he makes it to UFA he could very much help our scoring.

I'd maybe take a look at Chandler Stephenson at C, too. Part of some successful Vegas teams and solid faceoff guy. Hopefully not a huge contract demand.

Trade Ullmark for cap, look to add a depth d man.

Zacha-Stephonson-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Reinhart
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Lauko-Beecher-Brazeau
Boqvist

Lorhei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Peeke
???

Swayman
Bussi

Why not trade Zacha for a pick and pay DeBrusk $5.75 to $6?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Sam Reinhart should be priority #2 behind re-signing Swayman. If he makes it to UFA he could very much help our scoring.

I'd maybe take a look at Chandler Stephenson at C, too. Part of some successful Vegas teams and solid faceoff guy. Hopefully not a huge contract demand.

Trade Ullmark for cap, look to add a depth d man.

Zacha-Stephonson-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Reinhart
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Lauko-Beecher-Brazeau
Boqvist

Lorhei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Peeke
???

Swayman
Bussi

Yes Reinhart could help with goal scoring, but I don't think we should expect him to come in and pop 50+ goals again. Realistically I think he's more like a 35G/45A guy, which would still be a big help. I'd like to see his FO numbers closer to 50% but that's just me.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Was reading about Dubois with Kings and the best time to buy him out is now.He turns 26 soon and once that happens you are on hook for 2/3 in a buyout as opposed to 1/3 before age 26.There was more about what they be on hook for later but not getting into all that.Anyways ,buyout rumblings

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Was reading about Dubois with Kings and the best time to buy him out is now.He turns 26 soon and once that happens you are on hook for 2/3 in a buyout as opposed to 1/3 before age 26.There was more about what they be on hook for later but not getting into all that.Anyways ,buyout rumblings

I can't find the article but he's in a funny situation in that the buy-out window opens 48 hours after the Stanley Cup final and apparently the last possible day for a cup final game is the same day as his birthday, June 24th. So for the Kings to take advantage of that pre-age 26 buy-out at 1/3rd they need the finals over before say June 20th? The Kings might be sitting there praying every series finishes as quickly as possible.

If they go down that road (and I'm not convinced they will) imagine explaining that one to ownership. Less than a year after handing the guy a $64 million contract, before it even kicks in, you want to hand him $28 million of that over 14 years to not work for the organization? Ballsy thing to approach ownership with if your Rob Blake.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I can't find the article but he's in a funny situation in that the buy-out window opens 48 hours after the Stanley Cup final and apparently the last possible day for a cup final game is the same day as his birthday, June 24th. So for the Kings to take advantage of that pre-age 26 buy-out at 1/3rd they need the finals over before say June 20th? The Kings might be sitting there praying every series finishes as quickly as possible.

If they go down that road (and I'm not convinced they will) imagine explaining that one to ownership. Less than a year after handing the guy a $64 million contract, before it even kicks in, you want to hand him $28 million of that over 14 years to not work for the organization? Ballsy thing to approach ownership with if your Rob Blake.
Yea I never knew nothing about Cup ending on such and such day but that certainly complicates things.Very astute of you to check that .See if I can find it again And yes be tough explaining that, but better to get out of that deal now if u think you made bad decision then doubling down.Just my 2 cents but he will never live up to that deal

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Add D you just need to add a version of Wotherspoon that puts Wotherspoon in the press box when healthy. Someone that can PK and is physical but with some better skills than Peeke.

The forward group you can do like 400 different things, it just needs to be better.

Reactions: dangermike

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I can live with Debrusk because he's 27 and he's their player. Free agency this summer is a pile of mediocrity I'd just rather the Bruins save their money for when a real impactful forward in his prime becomes available.

That being said, I'd be almost shocked if Elias Lindholm isn't a Bruin next year. I think they will pursue him very hard.

I don’t like Lindholm’s age. But he fits like a glove with what this team needs. Faceoffs, defense and right shot on the bumper.

But when it comes down to it, part of me keeps wondering if it’s rather pay PLD 6.5 at 26 years old vs 7.5 or 8 to Lindholm at 30 for the next 7 years. Like would Ullmark for a retained PLD plus a sweetener make you stop and think?

I think the passivity of the 1-3-1 hurt his game a lot. I’d roll the dice on that being the case. But the general attitude stuff is a giant red flag and it’s hard to say how much he can grow out of vs what is baked into him.

It could be a reverse Seguin move where the Bruins get the benefit. And Lindholm could be a Loui Eriksson that falls apart when he loses a step.

Risky either way:

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Reinhart 57 G, 37 A, 94 pts, +29. He would be crazy not to test free agency after that year he just had. It's time we go after the big fish and get this guy next to Pasta for the next 6-7 years.
Reinhart usually plays RW, not center. I would go after Lindholm if the price is right.

I do agree with you that we need a #1 center, not someone who is similar to Coyle and Zacha. Zacha can move to LW. Lindholm is a 2-way center who is excellent at faceoffs.

If there's one thing we've from the playoffs so far, it's that our faceoff ability is not good.

I don’t like Lindholm’s age. But he fits like a glove with what this team needs. Faceoffs, defense and right shot on the bumper.

But when it comes down to it, part of me keeps wondering if it’s rather pay PLD 6.5 at 26 years old vs 7.5 or 8 to Lindholm at 30 for the next 7 years. Like would Ullmark for a retained PLD plus a sweetener make you stop and think?

I think the passivity of the 1-3-1 hurt his game a lot. I’d roll the dice on that being the case. But the general attitude stuff is a giant red flag and it’s hard to say how much he can grow out of vs what is baked into him.

It could be a reverse Seguin move where the Bruins get the benefit. And Lindholm could be a Loui Eriksson that falls apart when he loses a step.

Risky either way:
I wouldn't take PLD at 50% retained. Something is seriously wrong with this guy. If we trade Linus to LA, then I would like to get Trevor Moore and Byfield back. Yes, we would have to add to get that return.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Reinhart usually plays RW, not center. I would go after Lindholm if the price is right.

I do agree with you that we need a #1 center, not someone who is similar to Coyle and Zacha. Zacha can move to LW. Lindholm is a 2-way center who is excellent at faceoffs.

If there's one thing we've from the playoffs so far, it's that our faceoff ability is not good.
Lindholm is wicked in dot.Saw him other day 75% in one game vs Preds .

Reactions: DaBroons

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Not advocating to bring Stephenson in, but Stephenson had 65 and 64 points two the years before.

He’s been better offensively and at faceoffs since full seasons resumed post covid.

My question would be is if Ullmark is moved could Stephenson be cheap enough where they would be able to sign both Debrusk and someone like teuvo teravainen.

Theyll have roughly $27mil if ullmark is moved. Can they fit Stephenson(6 AAV?), Teraveinen(6AAV?), debrusk(5AAV?) and Swayman(8AAV?) in under $27mil?

Zacha-stephenson-Pastrnak
Marchand-poitras-debrusk
teraveinen-coyle-frederic
beecher-boqvist-brazzeau

Lohrei-Mvacoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Peeke

Swayman
Bussi

Thats a much more talented forward group than we have now. Or you can take out teraveinen,, put in lysell and use that money for better defense
Yes, that is a better, deeper group than we have now, but the top-end talent isn't where I want it to be.

I would like see a better #1 center like Lindholm and I would like to see a LD to pair with McAvoy. I would keep Lohrei on the 3rd pair for next year.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

I wouldn't take PLD at 50% retained. Something is seriously wrong with this guy. If we trade Linus to LA, then I would like to get Trevor Moore and Byfield back. Yes, we would have to add to get that return.
You’d have to add McAvoy to get LA to trade Byfield

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Yes Reinhart could help with goal scoring, but I don't think we should expect him to come in and pop 50+ goals again. Realistically I think he's more like a 35G/45A guy, which would still be a big help. I'd like to see his FO numbers closer to 50% but that's just me.
I view him as a winger so I don't care about his FO%. I haven't watched every game but I thought he's played mostly wing in both Buffalo and Florida.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I really like the idea of another right winger, Marchessault is the one I like most. If Poitras is for real, he can slot up, but I’d invite camp battles with him, Boqvist, and Lysell for third line time otherwise

Debrusk-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Marchessault
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Maroon-Beecher-Brazeau

On defense,

Lohrei & Mac
Lindholm & Carlo
Wotherspoon & Peeke

I’d bring back Shattenkirk or Forbort on the cheap as a 7th guy

Keep Ullmark or trade him and save the extra cap for the deadline.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I really like the idea of another right winger, Marchessault is the one I like most. If Poitras is for real, he can slot up, but I’d invite camp battles with him, Boqvist, and Lysell for third line time otherwise

Debrusk-Zacha-Pasta
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Maroon-Beecher-Brazeau

On defense,

Lohrei & Mac
Lindholm & Carlo
Wotherspoon & Peeke

You aren't contending with Zacha as #1C or Coyle.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I wondered at the deadline if they didn't look at something similar with Hertl. SJ made a goalie move right at the last second and I wonder if that wasn't a result of the Ullmark deal falling apart with him blocking the trade and then SJ turned around and made the deal with Vegas. Make a lot more sense to me than the Bruins and Jacob's taking on PLD's contract.

To me, he's the antithesis of the culture this organization has built the past 16-17 years. Every team now he's played for he's just selfish for some people it's really only about them (we all know people like that in RL) and he might just be one of those people. Doesn't matter where he goes what matters most to PLD is PLD. There is also talk in LA that he's miscast as a center (likely due to his lack of effort a lot of the time) and would be better suited on the wing moving forward.

Reactions: Gordoff

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The team that will be interesting to keep tabs on this off-season for me is Utah. They're sitting at $43 million in cap space for next season. You know that ownership wants to come out and show the fans and the NHL that they're committed to putting an winning team on the ice. They have loads of prospects/picks to use in deals to go along with their cap space.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

Debrusk-Zacha-Pasta
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Maroon-Beecher-Brazeau

On defense,

Lohrei & Mac
Lindholm & Carlo
Wotherspoon & Peeke

Marchesault is an interesting option if we lose out on Reinhart, but I'm going pedal to the metal to get Sam here. If we're signing a Knight, gimme Stephenson so we can move Zacha back to wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad