Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Pending the fait accompli acquisitions here of free agents Jake Guentzel, Patrick Kane, and Chris Tanev, the Bruins still have a few interesting and difficult roster decisions to make regarding the personnel on hand as July 1 free agency approaches.

Per standard practice, general manager Don Sweeney offered zero in terms of specific roster moves when addressing the media Wednesday during the club’s annual postseason autopsy at TD Garden.

Sweeney, in command of the corner office since 2015, took a moment to underscore the point that we in the media frequently are incorrect about our assumptions and calculations regarding the team he manages within a cone of silence the envy of MI6 headquarters.

“Some guys are really wrong,” he emphasized, presumably referring to the winnowing group of reporters with the resources to cover the team on a regular basis, “but it doesn’t stop you from throwing it out there and that’s OK. It’s good for business overall. It’s good for hockey, in terms of drawing attention and eyes to it. So I understand.”

Super. We understand. And hooray for being wrong and offering up false flags, such as, say, that July 1 promises to deliver Guentzel, Kane, and Tanev to the Black-and-Gold’s front door. One, two, or three of those names could be, or should be, on Sweeney’s shopping list, but it’s important to emphasize we’re tossing out names here simply as guesswork among the ranks of the unwashed and understood.

Sweeney has every every right to say nothing about his roster plans, just as those who cover the beat have equal sway to conjure up names or salaries. All good for biz, I guess . . . unless you’re wrong so frequently that readers figure out you’re just slinging fiction as fact, hoping some of it sticks to the back of the net (precisely how the 1-for-16 Bruins power play operated vs. the Panthers).

So with the caveat here that we are offered less than used coffee grounds to guide us in how Sweeney and team president Cam Neely intend to divvy up the dollars, here’s a look at how we imagine they’ll set the roster in preparation of their July 1 free agent shopping:

FORWARDS

Certain to return (with cap hit) — David Pastrnak ($11.25 million), Brad Marchand ($6.125 million), Charlie Coyle ($5.25 million) Pavel Zacha ($4.75 million), Trent Frederic ($2.3 million), Morgan Geekie ($2 million), Johnny Beecher ($925,000), Matthew Poitras ($870,000), Jakub Lauko($787K), Justin Brazeau ($775,00).

Not asked back — James van Riemsdyk.

Undecided (with potential cap hit if brought back) — Jake DeBrusk ($5.25 million), Danton Heinen ($2 million), Jesper Boqvist ($1.1 million), Pat Maroon ($1million).

DeBrusk is the biggest undecided here. After another streaky, spotty regular season — in part because of injury — DeBrusk was the club’s top postseason producer (5-6–11). It’s quite possible he’s had his fill of working for the Bruins, admitting Sunday that he never thought he’d still be here without a contract extension in hand. As he’ll be 28 in October, he’s likely to see UFA offers of approximately six years/$36 million. Feels here like the Bruins won’t offer more than a couple of years at $5.25 million. If the open market delivers as expected, the last of the club’s Round 1 picks in 2015 looks like a goner.

Heinen and the speedy Boqvist should be easy keepers for salary levels suggested above. For $1 million, Maroon’s heft and swagger are worth having in the lineup, if that spare change remains on hand. Of the three, Boqvist, because of his work at center, could be filched away with an offer of $2 million, like the one that landed Geekie here a year ago as a UFA from Seattle.

Warning: Look for a number of parts up front to scramble significantly if Sweeney can land a big fish like, say, Guentzel or Sam Reinhart, or even Kane.

DEFENSEMEN

Certain to return (with cap hit) — Charlie McAvoy ($9.5 million), Hampus Lindholm ($6.5 million), Brandon Carlo ($4.1 million), Andrew Peeke ($2.75 million), Mason Lohrei ($925,00), Parker Wotherspoon ($850,000).

Unlikely to return — Kevin Shattenkirk, Matt Grzelcyk, Derek Forbort.

The issue weighing gorilla-like here on the “unlikely” group is that Sweeney needs to bring in a bona-fide top-four contributor. It would be a solid backliner, Forbort-like with bigger game, who can pair with McAvoy much of the time, then also ride with Carlo as circumstances dictate. That’s probably a $5 million-$6 million cap hit, using up a big chunk of what the other three earned last year.

GOALIES

Certain to return — Jeremy Swayman (RFA, projected $7.5 million cap hit).

Unlikely to return — Linus Ullmark.

To be promoted — Brandon Bussi (RFA, projected $900,000 cap hit).

Sweeney relaxed the cone of silence just slightly on this subject, hinting at a desire to keep Huggable Bros. Swayman and Ullmark on the payroll. It’s a grand idea. The Swayman-Ullmark partnership was the franchise cornerstone this past season. Swayman’s stellar work was the lone reason they made it out of Round 1 vs. the ever-disposable Leafs.

“We’re going to find a landing spot with Jeremy Swayman,” offered Sweeney. “And if we can make the math work, we’re going to have the [league’s] best tandem. If we can’t, we’re going to explore.”

Swayman rightly can seek $8 million a year — just look at the four guys in Ottawa making that coin next year (Tim Stutzle, Brady Tkachuk, Jake Sanderson, and Thomas Chabot). A franchise stopper is worth every penny of it. Swayman knows it and is eager to cash.

The guess here, reflected in the aforementioned $7.5 million, is that Swayman accepts a fraction below market to stay here, Ullmark (one year left with $5 million cap hit) gets wheeled for a draft pick and cap relief, and Bussi moves up after two years in the minor.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Also from Globe:

The status quo Bruins let it be known Wednesday that they have no plans to rework the coaching staff. Baffling. Poor bench management led to a record seven penalties for too many men on the ice. “Way too many to have happen, no question about it,” said president Cam Neely. They also had horrendous starts in three of their 13 playoff games: Game 5 vs Toronto: two shots in the opening 20:00; Game 6 vs. Toronto: one shot in the opening 20:00. Game 3 vs. Florida: three shots in the opening 20:00. Not engaged from the opening puck drop, they lost all three games. Overall, it showed a severe need for better in-game bench management and an inexcusable lack of readiness to start games on time at the most important time of the season. “We haven’t finished our revision of last year,” said bench boss Jim Montgomery on Wednesday. “But as it stands right now, there is no imminent change in our mind.”

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
They essentially 'achieve' or 'under-achieve/fail' in this lens. They never pull out the upset or Over-achieve and destroy a team in 4.
1716656169540.png

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
But who do we get that can be at least an even replacement for Carlo. Good idea but still stealing from Peter to pay Paul.
Necas is a good player, I would like him on the Bruins, but he will cost and he is a wing not a center. I am not trading Carlo for him either. There is some bad contracts in the NHL, Carlo is not one of them, his contract should be considered a bargain today, take advantage, you replace Carlo whomever that is will cost more and he might not be able to do the job Carlo has.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Also from Globe:

The status quo Bruins let it be known Wednesday that they have no plans to rework the coaching staff. Baffling. Poor bench management led to a record seven penalties for too many men on the ice. “Way too many to have happen, no question about it,” said president Cam Neely. They also had horrendous starts in three of their 13 playoff games: Game 5 vs Toronto: two shots in the opening 20:00; Game 6 vs. Toronto: one shot in the opening 20:00. Game 3 vs. Florida: three shots in the opening 20:00. Not engaged from the opening puck drop, they lost all three games. Overall, it showed a severe need for better in-game bench management and an inexcusable lack of readiness to start games on time at the most important time of the season. “We haven’t finished our revision of last year,” said bench boss Jim Montgomery on Wednesday. “But as it stands right now, there is no imminent change in our mind.”
Huge huge huge mistake

So it’s just happy smiles and rainbows. Pathetic. Add to this a PP that is just a constant train wreck. Need some new blood on the ice and in some form of a new assistant coach. Otherwise it will be double digit too many men calls again next year and more frustrating games of them trying not to go offside during the PP…..

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Pending the fait accompli acquisitions here of free agents Jake Guentzel, Patrick Kane, and Chris Tanev, the Bruins still have a few interesting and difficult roster decisions to make regarding the personnel on hand as July 1 free agency approaches.

Per standard practice, general manager Don Sweeney offered zero in terms of specific roster moves when addressing the media Wednesday during the club’s annual postseason autopsy at TD Garden.

Sweeney, in command of the corner office since 2015, took a moment to underscore the point that we in the media frequently are incorrect about our assumptions and calculations regarding the team he manages within a cone of silence the envy of MI6 headquarters.

“Some guys are really wrong,” he emphasized, presumably referring to the winnowing group of reporters with the resources to cover the team on a regular basis, “but it doesn’t stop you from throwing it out there and that’s OK. It’s good for business overall. It’s good for hockey, in terms of drawing attention and eyes to it. So I understand.”

Super. We understand. And hooray for being wrong and offering up false flags, such as, say, that July 1 promises to deliver Guentzel, Kane, and Tanev to the Black-and-Gold’s front door. One, two, or three of those names could be, or should be, on Sweeney’s shopping list, but it’s important to emphasize we’re tossing out names here simply as guesswork among the ranks of the unwashed and understood.

Sweeney has every every right to say nothing about his roster plans, just as those who cover the beat have equal sway to conjure up names or salaries. All good for biz, I guess . . . unless you’re wrong so frequently that readers figure out you’re just slinging fiction as fact, hoping some of it sticks to the back of the net (precisely how the 1-for-16 Bruins power play operated vs. the Panthers).

So with the caveat here that we are offered less than used coffee grounds to guide us in how Sweeney and team president Cam Neely intend to divvy up the dollars, here’s a look at how we imagine they’ll set the roster in preparation of their July 1 free agent shopping:

FORWARDS

Certain to return (with cap hit) — David Pastrnak ($11.25 million), Brad Marchand ($6.125 million), Charlie Coyle ($5.25 million) Pavel Zacha ($4.75 million), Trent Frederic ($2.3 million), Morgan Geekie ($2 million), Johnny Beecher ($925,000), Matthew Poitras ($870,000), Jakub Lauko($787K), Justin Brazeau ($775,00).

Not asked back — James van Riemsdyk.

Undecided (with potential cap hit if brought back) — Jake DeBrusk ($5.25 million), Danton Heinen ($2 million), Jesper Boqvist ($1.1 million), Pat Maroon ($1million).

DeBrusk is the biggest undecided here. After another streaky, spotty regular season — in part because of injury — DeBrusk was the club’s top postseason producer (5-6–11). It’s quite possible he’s had his fill of working for the Bruins, admitting Sunday that he never thought he’d still be here without a contract extension in hand. As he’ll be 28 in October, he’s likely to see UFA offers of approximately six years/$36 million. Feels here like the Bruins won’t offer more than a couple of years at $5.25 million. If the open market delivers as expected, the last of the club’s Round 1 picks in 2015 looks like a goner.

Heinen and the speedy Boqvist should be easy keepers for salary levels suggested above. For $1 million, Maroon’s heft and swagger are worth having in the lineup, if that spare change remains on hand. Of the three, Boqvist, because of his work at center, could be filched away with an offer of $2 million, like the one that landed Geekie here a year ago as a UFA from Seattle.

Warning: Look for a number of parts up front to scramble significantly if Sweeney can land a big fish like, say, Guentzel or Sam Reinhart, or even Kane.

DEFENSEMEN

Certain to return (with cap hit) — Charlie McAvoy ($9.5 million), Hampus Lindholm ($6.5 million), Brandon Carlo ($4.1 million), Andrew Peeke ($2.75 million), Mason Lohrei ($925,00), Parker Wotherspoon ($850,000).

Unlikely to return — Kevin Shattenkirk, Matt Grzelcyk, Derek Forbort.

The issue weighing gorilla-like here on the “unlikely” group is that Sweeney needs to bring in a bona-fide top-four contributor. It would be a solid backliner, Forbort-like with bigger game, who can pair with McAvoy much of the time, then also ride with Carlo as circumstances dictate. That’s probably a $5 million-$6 million cap hit, using up a big chunk of what the other three earned last year.

GOALIES

Certain to return — Jeremy Swayman (RFA, projected $7.5 million cap hit).

Unlikely to return — Linus Ullmark.

To be promoted — Brandon Bussi (RFA, projected $900,000 cap hit).

Sweeney relaxed the cone of silence just slightly on this subject, hinting at a desire to keep Huggable Bros. Swayman and Ullmark on the payroll. It’s a grand idea. The Swayman-Ullmark partnership was the franchise cornerstone this past season. Swayman’s stellar work was the lone reason they made it out of Round 1 vs. the ever-disposable Leafs.

“We’re going to find a landing spot with Jeremy Swayman,” offered Sweeney. “And if we can make the math work, we’re going to have the [league’s] best tandem. If we can’t, we’re going to explore.”

Swayman rightly can seek $8 million a year — just look at the four guys in Ottawa making that coin next year (Tim Stutzle, Brady Tkachuk, Jake Sanderson, and Thomas Chabot). A franchise stopper is worth every penny of it. Swayman knows it and is eager to cash.

The guess here, reflected in the aforementioned $7.5 million, is that Swayman accepts a fraction below market to stay here, Ullmark (one year left with $5 million cap hit) gets wheeled for a draft pick and cap relief, and Bussi moves up after two years in the minor.
$5.25 million for DeBrusk? If he accepts that he and his agent need to get their heads examined.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Necas is a good player, I would like him on the Bruins, but he will cost and he is a wing not a center. I am not trading Carlo for him either. There is some bad contracts in the NHL, Carlo is not one of them, his contract should be considered a bargain today, take advantage, you replace Carlo whomever that is will cost more and he might not be able to do the job Carlo has.
I’m not trading Carlo for him but I am trading Ullmark +

Necas is a very skilled player - the Bruins need skilled players at that age no matter where he plays

Carlo is super underrated I don’t deal him because there are no Carlos in the system.

$5.25 million for DeBrusk? If he accepts that he and his agent need to get their heads examined.
Yah they put 6 M in there yes but $5.25 M come on

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I like Heinen and Boqvist, I just don’t see where they fit. This team needs more bangers in that part of the lineup. I’d rather spend that 2-3 million on Maroon and maybe a guy like Kiefer Sherwood that brings some real sandpaper to the bottom six and spend the rest of the cap to improve the top 6.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You worry about the forward group first. But a move that pushes Wotherspoon to be the 7th D isn’t a bad move at all. You ain’t getting thru the playoffs with your top 6 staying healthy. Having Wotherspoon be the first guy up has a lot of value given that that the prospect D group is bad with Lorhei reaching post prospect status.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I like Heinen and Boqvist, I just don’t see where they fit. This team needs more bangers in that part of the lineup. I’d rather spend that 2-3 million on Maroon and maybe a guy like Kiefer Sherwood that brings some real sandpaper to the bottom six and spend the rest of the cap to improve the top 6.
They said at the press conference they needed more speed, but they scratched Boqvist, they were not happy with the fore check, but they scratched Lauko. I am not a Heinen guy so move on from him, not going to be upset.

Reactions: ylekot and Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Having a Geekie and a Heinen in the bottom six sure does give you a lot of flexibilty when guys get hurt or if Poitras/Lysell/Merkulov aren’t capable. I think you can get a good deal on Heinen. He likes it here and he likes Monty. You don’t prioritize Heinen or anything, but a guy that can play on all 4 lines is nice to have and if there is left over cash after the big moves work or don’t work out, there are worse ways to spend it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They said at the press conference they needed more speed, but they scratched Boqvist, they were not happy with the fore check, but they scratched Lauko. I am not a Heinen guy so move on from him, not going to be upset.
Boqvist was hurt

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Maroon can really only play one spot in the lineup 4th line RW. Sherwood is 29 and this year was the first year he was able to stick on an NHL lineup (and he had a nice year) . I would suspect is he is going to sign for short money, he'll just stay in Nashville where they believed in him and gave him a chance, and I sure wouldn't overpay for him . Much like I wouldn't overpay Wortherspoon right now.

Having a Geekie and a Heinen in the bottom six sure does give you a lot of flexibilty when guys get hurt or if Poitras/Lysell/Merkulov aren’t capable. I think you can get a good deal on Heinen. He likes it here and he likes Monty. You don’t prioritize Heinen or anything, but a guy that can play on all 4 lines is nice to have and if there is left over cash after the big moves work or don’t work out, there are worse ways to spend it.

Yeah, I think you need at least one of Heinen/Boqvist. My preference is Heinen, but he might be more expensive. Having that flexibility of a guy who can basically slot in in 8 different positions on the ice and not hurt you (in particular for a short stretch), is invaluable

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Carlo is super underrated I don’t deal him because there are no Carlos in the system.
This is my main concern, one which I think is vastly underappreciated here.

Going from Carlo to Montour sure would change what this D looks like.
Very much so, yes.

I am not a fan of Montour, personally. To me, we need less offensive D and more size and defensive acumen. You know, like a Brandon Carlo. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad