Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Going to be a fun summer. Bruins were good this past season but should be better next year. So many opportunities with cap space for UFAs, trade options, and some young players who proved their worth this year - Potsie, Boquist, Peeke, geek, Brazeau, LowRider, Swayman. Draft will be boring unless trades include picks.
The last exciting draft was the seguin draft. Although the Pastrnak pick is way better at the end of the day. Bruins never have exciting draft picks.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
What's the consensus on this year's draft class?

I know we don't have a pick until the 4th rd, but curious in case Ullmark gets traded for picks

Reactions: Gordoff

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Sign Lindholm and Necas

Marchand - Lindholm - Pastrnak
Zacha - Coyle - Necas
Frederic - Poitras - Geekie
Brazeau - Beecher - Boqvist

Ultimately you hope Poitras continues to grow his game and take the #2C spot in the next 24 months.
I like this, although I think this lineup would have some leftover cap. I look to add a guy on the 4th who
I'm warming up to it for sure. Getting someone like Lindholm, even if you lose DeBrusk, allows you to put Zacha on the wing where he excels. Run something like:

Zacha-Lindholm-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle/Poitras-X

Far from perfect but a big improvement. Lindholm isn't a long-term, or even immediate solution at 1C but it's a big improvement. When/if we have a more offensive minded 1C, Lindholm is a very solid defensive 2C and I'm confident he'll be productive for most of the contract. With the cap going up, whatever slight overpayment he'll get will be eased over time. Think this system and the players he'd have would be a great situation for him. Depends on the price at the end of the day, but if fair/slight overpayment, I like it.
I like this, but for the middle 6 I like the idea pf pairing Freddy with Coyle, as theyve worked well in the past, then Marchand with Poitras as he'd be a good mentor.

Reinhart would obviously be the primo RW target, Necas is a popular name as well and could make sense in an Ullmark trade.

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Freddy-Coyle-Reinhart/Necas
Marchand-Poitras-Geekie
Maroon-Beecher-Brazeau (4th is totally up in the air in my eyes, who ever had the best camp will get a spot)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The problem with Lindholm is that Coyle is still playing 2C, which is fine for a while, but he's not that guy. They're just about up the creek here because they dont need 1 top six center, but 2.

If they are happy with the defense as it is and move Ullmark for picks/prospects, then they will have the money to be able to bring in two centers, re-sign or replace JDB, and still bring in some grit/muscle for the bottom 6.

Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Marchand - Monahan/Stephenson - JDB/Replacement
Frederic - Coyle - Geekie
FA/Boqvist/Beecher/Lauko/ Merkulov, Brazeau

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I’m Sakic I come after Heinen but sounds like he loves it here - coach and teammates.

Can play both special teams very good PK and both wings and with talent

He’s a quality third liner who can jump up

If they go Lindholm & Heinen

Zacha- Lindholm - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Frederic/Heinen
Frederic/Heinen- Poitras- Geekie
Beecher/Lauko- Boqvist - Brazeau
Merkulov
Beecher/Lauko

Who my missing ?
Another tough forward and still have Coyle in the top 6.
Marchand-Lindholm-Frederic
Bertuzzi-Zacha-Pasta
Joshua-Coyle-Geekie
Duhaime-Beecher-Brazeau
Maroon

Would like to add a real top six RW but I think Lindholm and Bertuzzi will cost to much.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Another tough forward and still have Coyle in the top 6.
Marchand-Lindholm-Frederic
Bertuzzi-Zacha-Pasta
Joshua-Coyle-Geekie
Duhaime-Beecher-Brazeau
Maroon

Would like to add a real top six RW but I think Lindholm and Bertuzzi will cost to much.
I would flip Freddy & Geekie

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If the Bruins go after Lindholm, I think he would fit more with Marchand than Zacha and Pastrnak. While Lindholm can push the play, I don't think he's the kind of passer those two need on their line.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Was looking at the Colorado roster; as they might be a Ullmark destination. Miles Wood has always interested this board. Can he play RW though? Between he & Geekie; they could swap out on the 2nd & 3rd line depending on who fits better.

Sign Lindholm/Stephenson & Bertuzzi to replace DeBrusk.
Rumor had it that it was Colorado that Ullmark nix at the trade deadline.
According to Boston Hockey Now, most of the teams on that no-trade list reside out West. They also note that the Bruins, as of this morning, were reportedly engaged in talks surrounding Ullmark with the Los Angeles Kings, Colorado Avalanche, and the Detroit Red Wings with the Kings being the frontrunners. That could explain the Ullmark veto.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’m Sakic I come after Heinen but sounds like he loves it here - coach and teammates.

Merkulov
Beecher/Lauko

Who my missing ?

The other 2 scoring top 6 guys they can afford if they move Ullmark for futures.

I don’t see any way they can “sell” the idea that they are going to improve the team next season, without bringing in 1 top 6 center, re-upping or replacing JDB and signing another 60 point guy.

You said it perfectly last week. The ideal 3rd line is.

Frederic Coyle Geekie

That would mean that lines 1 and 2 are something like:

Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Marchand - UFA - UFA or JDB

And the fourth line comes out of:

Boavist/Beecher/Brazeau/Lauko/Merkulov/Lysell/Maroon/Cheap Muscle

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If they are happy with the defense as it is and move Ullmark for picks/prospects, then they will have the money to be able to bring in two centers, re-sign or replace JDB, and still bring in some grit/muscle for the bottom 6.

Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Marchand - Monahan/Stephenson - JDB/Replacement
Frederic - Coyle - Geekie

That's about 19 million annually for the next 5-7 years for the 3 named players. So no more room to add in 4th line depth above the league minimum, and maybe you can get Swayman signed, maybe not, but you'd be absolutely as tight against the cap as you were this year, and probably couldn't field a full roster unless you were able to cut that group down below 16 mil

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That's about 19 million annually for the next 5-7 years for the 3 named players. So no more room to add in 4th line depth above the league minimum, and maybe you can get Swayman signed, maybe not, but you'd be absolutely as tight against the cap as you were this year, and probably couldn't field a full roster unless you were able to cut that group down below 16 mil

Of course none of this will happen exactly as I suggest but…

Assuming the defense stays the same:
McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Lohrei, Wotherspoon, Peake

Ullmark goes for futures and Bussi or a UFA comes in for about 1.25

Then the forwards can be:

Zacha 4.75 - Lindholm 7.o - Pasta 11.25
Marchand 6.125 - Stephenson/Monahan 5.0 - JDB/UFA 5.0
Frederic 2.3 - Coyle 5.25 - Geekie 2.0
Lauko 787K - Beecher 925K - Brazeau 775K
Boqvist/Maroon 1.0

Swayman 7.0

Just under the cap.

Again, not guaranteed or perfect, but it can be done.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Has Frederic took a big enough jump in development to replace DeBrusk?
And if so move him to 2nd line RW and maybe sign someone like Joshua or Trenin for 3rd line.
Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Marchand - Monahan/Stephenson - Frederic
Trenin/ Joshua - Coyle - Geekie

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Has Frederic took a big enough jump in development to replace DeBrusk?
And if so move him to 2nd line RW and maybe sign someone like Joshua or Trenin for 3rd line.
Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Marchand - Monahan/Stephenson - Frederic
Trenin/ Joshua - Coyle - Geekie
No Fred has not. Did he play post season?

Reactions: GoBs and chizzler

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Of course none of this will happen exactly as I suggest but…

Assuming the defense stays the same:
McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Lohrei, Wotherspoon, Peake

Ullmark goes for futures and Bussi or a UFA comes in for about 1.25

Then the forwards can be:

Zacha 4.75 - Lindholm 7.o - Pasta 11.25
Marchand 6.125 - Stephenson/Monahan 5.0 - JDB/UFA 5.0
Frederic 2.3 - Coyle 5.25 - Geekie 2.0
Lauko 787K - Beecher 925K - Brazeau 775K
Boqvist/Maroon 1.0

Swayman 7.0

Just under the cap.

Again, not guaranteed or perfect, but it can be done.

I think if this was last seasons cap that would work, maybe even be high I think it costs a minimum of 2 million more than you budget for those 3 players, and possibly 3 mil more

There is a ton of money available, and really not that many good players available

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia

Merkulov
Beecher/Lauko

Who my missing ?
Honestly I think you are missing a quality top six winger ,from being a contender. Remove Heinen and add DeBrusk and I like the forward group. Not sure if it works cap wise but it should be close . If Ulmark is traded

Reactions: DKH

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Looking at this team, I'm ok with the defense and goaltending (assume you lock up Swayman). That doesn't mean it can't be upgraded, but I'd be more focused on adding offensive pop up front. If you're going to add to the back, I want someone who can add offense. Here are how many d-men each of the final 4 teams had in the top 60 this season for points among d-men:

NYR - 3
FLA - 3
EDM - 3
DAL - 2

Dallas is the only team without 3 and in fairness, both of their guys were top 25 among d-men in scoring.

Anyone want to guess how many the Bruins had? we had 1 d-man that was top 60 in points and that was McAvoy.

The Bruins were below average at shot generation from the blue line this past season

1716495162295.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad