2024-25 Roster…too soon?

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
I don't even like Kurashev but this might somehow be a move that is 10 times dumber than any other roster decision he's already made, and he's made a lot of dumb f***ing roster decisions so far.

I hate this mfer as a coach so much.
Kurashev isn't producing point wise. His line has the worst plus-minus on the team.

The Hawks have improved in the GA, but not enough in the GF. The Hawks are giving up 44 fewer goals on a season-annualized basis, but have only improved by 26 goals in GF. The GA pace so far this year would have placed the Hawks in the upper half of the league last year, but the GF would have placed them four from the bottom last year.

LR is just holding players accountable. The GF is just not good enough. The hfboard Hawks consensus is that the Hawks are unlikely to trade for a seasonsed scorer this year because of where they are in the rebuild. Sitting players down when they aren't making it happen on the scoring sheet is the only tool LR has right now.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kurashev isn't producing point wise. His line has the worst plus-minus on the team.

The Hawks have improved in the GA, but not enough in the GF. The Hawks are giving up 44 fewer goals on a season-annualized basis, but have only improved by 26 goals in GF. The GA pace so far this year would have placed the Hawks in the upper half of the league last year, but the GF would have placed them four from the bottom last year.

LR is just holding players accountable. The GF is just not good enough. The hfboard Hawks consensus is that the Hawks are unlikely to trade for a seasonsed scorer this year because of where they are in the rebuild. Sitting players down when they aren't making it happen on the scoring sheet is the only tool LR has right now.
If Richardson is making decisions based on plus/minus, this team is cooked

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
If Richardson is making decisions based on plus/minus, this team is cooked
You know that is a stupid sophistic comment (wah wah plus-minus doesn't take into consideration team factors wah wah!!!). What are the team factors regarding Kurashev? THE KURASHEV LINEMATES ARE -4, -5, AND -6 (worst on the team). The defense is playing better this year. Thus, the Kurashev line is where they are at because together they aren't scoring and worse, they are playing poorly defensively from the only measure that really counts - how often they are scored against in aggregate. And they can't blame the d because the d are playing better.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Dear LR...true the Kurashev line has not produced ...despite good analytics...True tgey have worst plus minus despite good analytics..

Sure he must shake the line up to get more production

But whike line 1 has produced more goals..that is with Bedard shooting 1/19...Worse Bedardxcannot seem tovdrivebpkay up the middle to the middle slot high quality shot areas..Ifvhe is goibg to shoot lousy (and be justcavperimeyer threat them maybe try Kurashev with him again and keep Tt there..Foligno is too slow forctoc tac toe plays and does not create enough for Bedard to get slot shots..Maybe innate chemistry with Kurashev would make magic happen with TT as a trio?

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
You can't blame LR for pushing one of the few buttons he has to push - slotting AA in for Kurashev. Is anything good likely to happen? The GF pace is a roster thing, not a performance thing, and LR doesn't control the roster, just who he plays.

statswatcher

the smartest guy in athens knows he's dumb
Jul 27, 2022
Thus, the Kurashev line is where they are at because together they aren't scoring and worse, they are playing poorly defensively from the only measure that really counts - how often they are scored against in aggregate
1) pedantry first: plus/minus is not just a measure of how much a player is scored against in aggregate. that would be something like a rate of on ice goals against per a given time period.
2) as far as defensive stats go, if plus/minus is "the only measure that really counts", then we have no measures that really count.
3) as i pointed out above, kurashev was their best faceoff man last game. on the season, he's the only player other than foligno with more than 4 faceoffs taken and 50%+ from the dot. winning faceoffs is traditionally taken to be indicitive of a positive defensive contribution from a player. why would you scratch this player instead of, say, his linemate bertuzzi who has the same amount of points but hasn't done anything else of value so far this season?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Why doesn't LR bench HALL.? His lazy watching fron behind ibstead of fistfight g to cover the puck carrier (his check) cost usxa goal vs.Buffalo...no punishment for laziness?

Different if Hall was a slow slug who had no chance to hustle and get to his check...instead he coasts and watches from behind as the shot flies into our net.
So if Kurashev did not have a good game....what was that from Jill?

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
This is easy stuff. The second line has 4 points together after six games and Hawks hfboard is arguing about the coach sitting a guy? Where's the guy that said PK was only coat-tailing Bedard last year anyway? And I'm not saying AA will be the solution, just that LR doesn't have anything else to try.

Last edited:

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
This is easy stuff. The second line has 4 points together after six games and Hawks hfboard is arguing about the coach sitting a guy? Where's the guy that said PK was only coat-tailing Bedard last year anyway? And I'm not saying AA will be the solution, just that LR doesn't have anything else to try.
yeah, i am arguing against sitting statistically the best faceoff taking center on the team this season because the line he's been stapled to all year isn't working. kurashev has played ~75 minutes with hall and bertuzzi, and ~20 minutes without them. seems like lurich hasn't tried anything to get him going since slotting him in at 2C, and now he's all out of ideas.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Obviously if you are a second line player performing poorly, you can expect to move down the lineup. Just kind of weird, but not without precedent to go from second line to sitting entirely to me when it isn’t a top six or bust type player.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
yeah, i am arguing against sitting statistically the best faceoff taking center on the team this season because the line he's been stapled to all year isn't working. kurashev has played ~75 minutes with hall and bertuzzi, and ~20 minutes without them. seems like lurich hasn't tried anything to get him going since slotting him in at 2C, and now he's all out of ideas.
You call yourself statswatcher, and you strawman other posters. Got it. Early in this discussion I pointed out that the Hawks are on pace to score 205 goals this year. Did you even know that? Is it adequate to make the Hawks a bubble team, if they continue the current GF pace? Do you think LR should stand pat?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
LR didn't even try moving Kurashev down in the lineup. He could have swapped him down to the 4th and replaced him with AA. Straight from the second line to the pressbox is a flat out slap in the face, not a wakeup call.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
LR didn't even try moving Kurashev down in the lineup. He could have swapped him down to the 4th and replaced him with AA. Straight from the second line to the pressbox is a flat out slap in the face, not a wakeup call.
Why are you so invested in PK? He is arbitration eligible after this year. Will he even be on the Hawks when they are competitive?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If effort is the problem then Richardson has at least a handful of forwards he should scratch over Anderson and Kurashev. To scratch those two based on effort is just crazy. Does Richardson even watch the games he's coaching?

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
You call yourself statswatcher, and you strawman other posters.
that's not what a strawman is lmao. you said:
The second line has 4 points together after six games and Hawks hfboard is arguing about the coach sitting a guy?
i was replying to this directly in my last post.
Is it adequate to make the Hawks a bubble team, if they continue the current GF pace? Do you think LR should stand pat?
why am i supposed to care if they are a bubble team, and how am i supposed to think benching the guy who was 2nd in team scoring last year will make the second line score more? even if it did, there's no reason to think it would sight-unseen.

Reactions: Hinterland

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
You're frustrated. Got it. I'm not going to contribute to your situation anymore. Good luck.
you have no actual point to make. got it. if you decide to come back and flail around a little more in a doomed attempt to contribute anything of even marginal value, i will be here to show you how what you are saying is profoundly stupid.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Why are you so invested in PK? He is arbitration eligible after this year. Will he even be on the Hawks when they are competitive?
I'm not invested in Kurashev. It's a dumb way to handle a player who probably deserved to be moved down the roster, not out of it. It's also, as has been mentioned, a bad idea to take out one of the few guys who can actually win face-offs.

Reactions: Hinterland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad