2024-25 NTDP U17 Team Selection

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Seems like a particularly strong NTDP class to me, with Berchild, Beuker, and Hurlburt being standout players. The 2026 draft class in general seems very strong, but I as of now I'd have all three of those guys in the top 16.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Seems like a particularly strong NTDP class to me, with Berchild, Beuker, and Hurlburt being standout players. The 2026 draft class in general seems very strong, but I as of now I'd have all three of those guys in the top 16.
I hope you’re right because I had the exact opposite thought. Never seen Beuker play, but Berchild is like 5’8 or 5’9 and Hurlbert is a good winger but looks more Nazar or Howard territory. This team was also disappointing at the YOG. I think they won, but they got completely outplayed by Canada and were playing close games with the other teams.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I hope you’re right because I had the exact opposite thought. Never seen Beuker play, but Berchild is like 5’8 or 5’9 and Hurlbert is a good winger but looks more Nazar or Howard territory. This team was also disappointing at the YOG. I think they won, but they got completely outplayed by Canada and were playing close games with the other teams.
Beuker tore up minor hockey in Saskatchewan, wouldn't be surprised to see him be leading the NTDP most nights

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Beuker tore up minor hockey in Saskatchewan, wouldn't be surprised to see him be leading the NTDP most nights
They need that out of Beuker because I'm not seeing the potential "top 5 pick" from the other hyped guys from the team. I think Berchild has a chance if he grows, but until then the best comparable is probably a Marco Rossi draft range.

But it's very early, so of course this will all work its way out.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
They need that out of Beuker because I'm not seeing the potential "top 5 pick" from the other hyped guys from the team. I think Berchild has a chance if he grows, but until then the best comparable is probably a Marco Rossi draft range.

But it's very early, so of course this will all work its way out.
Yeah, I'm not sure I see a top-5 pick either, but I think all three of them could be top 16 picks, which would be a good year of the program.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, I'm not sure I see a top-5 pick either, but I think all three of them could be top 16 picks, which would be a good year of the program.
Pre-seeing them play in junior, the player whose potential I think could end up better than it seems is Luke Schairer. Those big defensemen that can skate don't need to cross that high of a threshold with their defending and puck games to generate a high pick, so it wouldn't be a total shock if he develops into the best draft prospect of the team.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
at the YOG i thought USA played very well. Unlike most junior events where USA send the U17 or 18 roster where the players have been playing together for awhile and have chemistry, this tournament throws the kids together and they are playing blind with one another so i give them some slack as individual skill would standout more than team play.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Schairer: Boston University
Trottier: Notre Dame
Plante: Minnesota Duluth
Mutryn: Boston College
Kemps: Michigan State
George: Michigan State
Wathier: Boston College
Hurlbert: Michigan
Marthaler: Minnesota Duluth
Stuart: Denver
Garcia: Notre Dame
Francisco: Notre Dame

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Stuart: Denver
Garcia: Notre Dame
Francisco: Notre Dame

Nice work by Notre Dame so far. I figure they have a great shot with Sammy Nelson as well considering his brothers are there. I get the Illinois/Chicago pick-ups - but it seems Notre Dame has had a pretty good Minnesota pipeline for a while now. If they grab Nelson to go along with Trottier and Francisco - that’s 3 of the more hyped 08’s from Minnesota if I’m recalling things correctly.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Nice work by Notre Dame so far. I figure they have a great shot with Sammy Nelson as well considering his brothers are there. I get the Illinois/Chicago pick-ups - but it seems Notre Dame has had a pretty good Minnesota pipeline for a while now. If they grab Nelson to go along with Trottier and Francisco - that’s 3 of the more hyped 08’s from Minnesota if I’m recalling things correctly.
Notre Dame just needs to find a way to get some of these high end guys to stay committed.

Now we await to see where Beuker, Berchild, and Lutner commit.

Reactions: BKarchitect

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Brody George is a great kid. My son played against him a lot at Pens Elite and became friends with him. Whether he’s an NHL player remains to be seen. But very fast skater and decent size.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Brody George is a great kid. My son played against him a lot at Pens Elite and became friends with him. Whether he’s an NHL player remains to be seen. But very fast skater and decent size.
Interesting that he chose Michigan State. Does Penn State not appeal to a lot of the top talent in PA because the program is so new and isn't a consistent contender yet?

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Interesting that he chose Michigan State. Does Penn State not appeal to a lot of the top talent in PA because the program is so new and isn't a consistent contender yet?
No, I think it’s the opposite, actually. Most good Pa. players would love to play there, the school is almost a cult in-state. George’s cousin, Case Kamczik, committed to Miami U. (Ohio). He’s nowhere near as good but he’s huge and can snipe.

I still find it weird that I know a lot of these kids . . . ‘cuz my son played with and against a lot of them over the years. Marthaler is a beast, BTW. Definitely a possible NHL’er. Logan Stuart a near certainty.

Last edited:

ndmd99

Apr 9, 2018

Some other site said Sammy was a sophomore this year so he's not eligible to commit this year unless he accelerates his education.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Well, the reports of Kemps being a legit 6-6 are true. If he skates as good as they say and wit his late blooming growth, he's definitely very high on the watch list IMO.

Other observations...

- Knowling is massive and he comes with a big rep from Toronto. He may have a shot at being an exciting prospect in net. Although...the USNTDP have certainly put out some big boy clunkers in goal over the years.

- Good to see Hurlbert pushing towards that 6', 180-pound mark. Not quite there yet but this was significant growth and combined with his skillset, should probably cement his stock as the highest among the forwards and probably the team as a pro prospect, at least pre-season.

- Sammy Nelson...wow, looks like he's gonna be physically just like Danny, big strong Minnesota boy...but sure sounds like his skillset is another level. With his late birthday and good size, with a solid two years with the USNTDP, he probably will enter the 2027 draft with a college season under his belt. Will it be at Notre Dame like his brothers?

- Among the other high-end names - Berchild short as expected but not lightweight, I suspect he's got that low-center-of-gravity and leg strength that makes him a good skater and also surprisingly strong. Beuker on the other hand at 5-10, 160 has some filling out to do. Glance's size checks out fine given his younger age and pedigree and should keep him as one to watch for 2027.

- Schairer's measurables will also keep him high up on projected draft lists with a good U17 season. Wathier is a string-bean but I expect he will really fill out given that his daddy was 6-4, 210. Martyniuk is intriguing - have not heard much about him but he's got good size and he's born 12/31/2008 which means...a few hours later and he'd be in the 25-26 USNTDP class...he's not just a late '08, he's actually the latest.

- All the smaller stature guys (George, Plante, Cullen, Francisco) sound like they will be mad fun to watch so hopefully they pop off and get traction as draft prospects.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well, the reports of Kemps being a legit 6-6 are true. If he skates as good as they say and wit his late blooming growth, he's definitely very high on the watch list IMO.

Other observations...

- Knowling is massive and he comes with a big rep from Toronto. He may have a shot at being an exciting prospect in net. Although...the USNTDP have certainly put out some big boy clunkers in goal over the years.

- Good to see Hurlbert pushing towards that 6', 180-pound mark. Not quite there yet but this was significant growth and combined with his skillset, should probably cement his stock as the highest among the forwards and probably the team as a pro prospect, at least pre-season.

- Sammy Nelson...wow, looks like he's gonna be physically just like Danny, big strong Minnesota boy...but sure sounds like his skillset is another level. With his late birthday and good size, with a solid two years with the USNTDP, he probably will enter the 2027 draft with a college season under his belt. Will it be at Notre Dame like his brothers?

- Among the other high-end names - Berchild short as expected but not lightweight, I suspect he's got that low-center-of-gravity and leg strength that makes him a good skater and also surprisingly strong. Beuker on the other hand at 5-10, 160 has some filling out to do. Glance's size checks out fine given his younger age and pedigree and should keep him as one to watch for 2027.

- Schairer's measurables will also keep him high up on projected draft lists with a good U17 season. Wathier is a string-bean but I expect he will really fill out given that his daddy was 6-4, 210. Martyniuk is intriguing - have not heard much about him but he's got good size and he's born 12/31/2008 which means...a few hours later and he'd be in the 25-26 USNTDP class...he's not just a late '08, he's actually the latest.

- All the smaller stature guys (George, Plante, Cullen, Francisco) sound like they will be mad fun to watch so hopefully they pop off and get traction as draft prospects.
Reschny this season will be a good test for where Berchild could be drafted. I think they have similarities. Potter too is another 5'9 center, although I think Potter is flashier with louder tools and Berchild is more efficient. If he doesn't grow to 5'10, I think his draft ceiling is Marco Rossi (pick 9, at the end of the top 10). That could give the likes of Hurlbert, Schairer, Beuker the chance to be the highest drafted player from this team. Then again, maybe Berchild is 5'11 by draft day and this is a moot discussion.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio