NFL: 2024-25 NFL News, Notes, Other Probably Dumb Stuff and the Like (Bryce Young benched)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That makes complete sense. That will be a good one for ratings and just overall good football. I can see why .

Quick search has revealed that CBS/Fox can protect 1 game a week

Sorry i know that wasn't quite what you were asking. I'm down the rabbit of researching this ATM.

Same thing in the end. 1 game a week, I think is good for CBS/FOX as they paid big for the NFL rights too. If that game for FOX, Det/GB is likely their best game, then they would protect it.

Sucks for fans as the NFL is an event and you prepare for it.

If LV ever got good and needed to be flexed into SNF from their 1PM PST time, there are going to be fans of other clubs who traveled there for the weekend and need to get back to work the next day and expected to fly out at 7-8 pm PST.

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Interesting read about daily Cowboys fan tours that interfere with player's lives
If you are the coaching staff, you have to build those tours into the weekly routine. Jerry isn't going to change. Have to just deal with it.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If you are the coaching staff, you have to build those tours into the weekly routine. Jerry isn't going to change. Have to just deal with it.
Same with Jerry interrupting practice to land his helicopter because it makes for great photos.

Coaching the Cowboys is one of the most challenging jobs in sports.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
In case it's not already in this thread (and apologies if it's a duplicate):

Since the AFL/NFL merger only 2 QB's have thrown for 500+ yards and 5 or more TD's in their first 2 career starts. Dan Marino and...

Drake Maye

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Best wishes for Dalton, but I'm not sure what the point of playing Dalton over Young with how poorly he's been playing since Cincinnati anyway.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Best wishes for Dalton, but I'm not sure what the point of playing Dalton over Young with how poorly he's been playing since Cincinnati anyway.
The players knew who gave them a better chance to win. You can only ignore that for so long.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In the first step to Browns owners firing Stefanski, play calling is being given to OC Ken Dorsey.

Honestly, if you are Stefanski, you probably want to get fired. He'd get a job in the next cycle of HC if he was fired. Doubt most would blame him for Watson. Not when ancient Flacco stepped in last season and performed very well in his offense.

Cleveland is in rough shape with Watson and their salary cap situation for the next 2-4 years depending on how they decide to eat the remaining $170 mill of cap charges they need to still take on his guaranteed contract.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly, if you are Stefanski, you probably want to get fired. He'd get a job in the next cycle of HC if he was fired. Doubt most would blame him for Watson. Not when ancient Flacco stepped in last season and performed very well in his offense.

Cleveland is in rough shape with Watson and their salary cap situation for the next 2-4 years depending on how they decide to eat the remaining $170 mill of cap charges they need to still take on his guaranteed contract.
They can trade him in the offseason. Maybe that team releases him. But they can’t release him themselves.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The players knew who gave them a better chance to win. You can only ignore that for so long.
I understood the switch. Can't say I understand why they were so steadfast with it once Dalton's play cratered.

It just feels like a franchise drifting aimlessly. Throwing out a 37 year old to throw bad balls to players who want out. Bad product with no plan in sight.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They can trade him in the offseason. Maybe that team releases him. But they can’t release him themselves.
I can't see another club doing what Clev did with Osweiler when Hou sent a 2nd to Clev for them to take him and his $18 mill guaranteed salary that season.

We are talking $46 mill in real money for 2025 and 2026 each here. $92 mill total.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I understood the switch. Can't say I understand why they were so steadfast with it once Dalton's play cratered.

It just feels like a franchise drifting aimlessly. Throwing out a 37 year old to throw bad balls to players who want out. Bad product with no plan in sight.
They had been clear that the switch was temporary, but some of the teams on the schedule was likely a position to fail. I don’t know what team would’ve been a good opponent, but WFT and Denver probably weren’t. I think Young would’ve returned against the Saints assuming they would lose to the Broncos.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can't see another club doing what Clev did with Osweiler when Hou sent a 2nd to Clev for them to take him and his $18 mill guaranteed salary that season.

We are talking $46 mill in real money for 2025 and 2026 each here. $92 mill total.
Probably would be a post June 1 trade where the cap hit can be spread out. Would someone take more draft picks? I think you could get someone to think about it if they restructure the deal. How much is it worth to get him out of the building - especially if they draft a QB? Only they can answer that. Or do you just leave him on the roster and deactivate him for as long as you need to?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Probably would be a post June 1 trade where the cap hit can be spread out. Would someone take more draft picks? I think you could get someone to think about it if they restructure the deal. How much is it worth to get him out of the building - especially if they draft a QB? Only they can answer that. Or do you just leave him on the roster and deactivate him for as long as you need to?
I just don't think a team would have that much non useful cap charges from Watson for multiple years. Osweiller was just 1 year and done for a rebuilding Browns club. To spread out $92 mill over multiple seasons, not sure another owner/GM want to do that.
And can Clev afford to still give up draft capital after 3 first and other picks to acquire Watson, to send out more to get rid of him too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad