NFL: 2024-25 NFL News, Notes, Other Probably Dumb Stuff and the Like (Bryce Young benched)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Daboll went there knowing he was there though

Yeah, but I'm guessing the understanding would have been they'd let Jones play out his contract then pick a new guy.

Instead Jones does a one season wonder to induce just enough doubt that the Giants as a whole feel the need to keep him around.

The thing about giving Daboll a shot with his own QB is I don't know he does have that good relationship with the team. I can't say I pay huge attention to Giants news but I thought the reports were that the players were a bit tired of him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree. QB is probably the main reason for a top candidate HC to take the job or not.
Probably the worst thing for Daboll was having Jones play solid in year 1 to get the long term deal.

But, really, for teams that likely need a new QB in the offseason, how many of NYG, LV, Clev, etc (can add in possibly, Miami, NO, Car, and a couple of others) are going to find one? Quality QBs are very limited in supply.

Your best options are maybe Sam Darnold after 1 solid good year with Minny? Possibly Geno Smith if SEA views his price tag to not be worth it. Carr if cut from NO. Trying to rehab tiny Bryce Young.

It's slim pickings.

Reactions: Peat

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, but I'm guessing the understanding would have been they'd let Jones play out his contract then pick a new guy.

Instead Jones does a one season wonder to induce just enough doubt that the Giants as a whole feel the need to keep him around.

The thing about giving Daboll a shot with his own QB is I don't know he does have that good relationship with the team. I can't say I pay huge attention to Giants news but I thought the reports were that the players were a bit tired of him.
That’s very naive stance to take as a coach. Coaches don’t get that long if the quarterback fails them. You do have some places like Cleveland and Minnesota where they kinda have, but you have to maintain a certain level of success in spite of that, and the Giants haven’t.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That’s very naive stance to take as a coach. Coaches don’t get that long if the quarterback fails them. You do have some places like Cleveland and Minnesota where they kinda have, but you have to maintain a certain level of success in spite of that, and the Giants haven’t.

It's naive as a HC to go to a job where the failed QB is going to be gone in a year and they then get a go with their guy? That doesn't make sense to me.

The naivety was sticking with Jones after that season, but that was org wide and iirc, they pretty much acknowledged it felt like a mistake at the time but it had been so long since they'd had anything like success that they couldn't just shut the door.

If we're going down this path, it's very naive of teams to expect coaches to succeed with failed QBs.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's naive as a HC to go to a job where the failed QB is going to be gone in a year and they then get a go with their guy? That doesn't make sense to me.

The naivety was sticking with Jones after that season, but that was org wide and iirc, they pretty much acknowledged it felt like a mistake at the time but it had been so long since they'd had anything like success that they couldn't just shut the door.

If we're going down this path, it's very naive of teams to expect coaches to succeed with failed QBs.
This is year 3 with him. They signed him while Daboll was there. Coaches don’t go to a place believing the players they have will fail.

He did, and maybe his greatest failing as a head coach was finding a way to get the best out of Daniel Jones during his first season as their coach.
It did win him coach of the year. It could’ve also given them the confidence that they could do it bringing in another QB. QB’s having one great year way over their heads happens more often than people think.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is year 3 with him. They signed him while Daboll was there. Coaches don’t go to a place believing the players they have will fail.

Nope. Just can't agree with that.

The Giants were very naked that Daboll was coming in to evaluate Jones and go from there rather than to win with him. Pretty much everyone knew the odds on that one.

Acting like Daboll only has himself to blame because he went to the Giants and he knew he could expect to have Daniel Jones as his QB for the next three years just makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad