Great Jets article by The Athletic that was picked up by the NY Times

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure makes it clear, that NHL teams go far beyond looking up publicly available analytics like CF% and xGF% when using their in house analytics to inform game play and strategies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Really good article about Scott Arniel and his dedication to analytics for the upcoming season
Also explains why The Jets couldn't handle Colorado in the playoffs and how The Avs were able to defeat the Jets' defense.

It's a NY Times article so you may or may not get the paywall pop up. I got it the first time but the second time, I was able to read the whole article.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5863928/2024/10/24/scott-arniel-winnipeg-jets/

Great article by Murat.

I also got through the paywall on the 2nd attempt.

I don't want to quote too much but there were a couple of parts I found particularly interesting.
Colorado believed it could beat Winnipeg by taking advantage of a defence corps short on footspeed and light on net-front presence. The Avalanche moved away from being a rush-first team to one that dumped pucks more often than they had all season. Eventually, when their dump-ins backed Winnipeg’s defence off the blue line, Colorado dominated possession through the middle of the ice with speed, cutbacks and second-wave offence that got pucks into heavy traffic in front of the net.
Colorado surprised the Jets with its dump-and-chase mentality. Instead of being able to play aggressive gaps, Winnipeg’s defenders were made to turn and skate after pucks under heavy pressure. Not only did this serve to create a ton of offence for Colorado, it stifled the Jets’ best five-on-five scorers.
Supports the criticism of Bones that he failed to adjust to what Avs were doing.
Correctly identified a strategy to take advantage of the weaknesses of the league's best defense. More accurately, the league's most effective defense.

So what happens if the Jets run into another “beehive” of a team that wants to play a heavy, physical, dump-and-chase game? Winnipeg’s team defence is well-structured — again — six games into the season but its defencemen haven’t gotten any bigger or more mobile since last season’s playoff disappointment.
If Fleury plays 3LD they are more mobile than if Stanley is playing. Size is still not bad. Not sure but I think it would have mostly been Dillon and Stanley they were taking advantage of. Both big but both lacking mobility.

Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad