2024-25 New Goalie Gear Setups and Masks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This is torturous waiting to see how good it's going to be when it's all said and done. Can't wait to see his gear too.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
This thing looks like an instant classic
Well, I mean, it's based off of an instant classic so really it's just a copy of a classic that's going to be an instant classic? lol

Every time you see a mask that isn't done by DaveArt, you see how great goalie masks can be. Clean, clear, thematic and just f***ing sexy.

Less is more, Dave. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
The worst part about Dave is that he can do amazing masks but then he just adds in his flares and I just never understood why. They're on the ice, the clear you add to the masks naturally add the flares to them. It's like he uses an airbrush indoors with some poor lighting and can't figure out how hockey rink lighting works even a tiny bit. Of course, he does have some severely cheesy designs that might be what the goalies pick, but the flares mate...the flares are what cross the line for me.

That's like when I do my hobby of scale models and I add a bloody flares in a paint job to a Toyota GT2000 Hi-Grade Series Hasegawa (basically a throw away of a fantastic kit).

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah there’s no way he plays the season wearing those.

Doesn’t help that the caps at one point in the 80s (?) had a goalie whose mask was
just a painted on confederate flag

Yeah, I like the graphic/design but in 2024, someone will probably realize it too closely resembles said flag and they'll change it up a bit.

Obviously not done on purpose, sometimes you lose perspective when honed in on something.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Yeah, I like the graphic/design but in 2024, someone will probably realize it too closely resembles said flag and they'll change it up a bit.

Obviously not done on purpose, sometimes you lose perspective when honed in on something.
For sure. Thompson is from Calgary so probably hasn’t been exposed to a lot of confederate imagery but Im guessing any goalie who grew up in the states, especially in a southern/border state, would realize right away there was a major problem when they got their pads back.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I might be in the minority but I find the tiger’s mouth distracting. It took me a while to realize it’s just the top and bottom of its mouth and not just a red blob.

Also, minor gripe but I’m not a fan of the random logos on the side of the mask. We get it MAF, you live in Minnesota.
Might be because it's not a tiger.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah there’s no way he plays the season wearing those.

Doesn’t help that the caps at one point in the 80s (?) had a goalie whose mask was
just a painted on confederate flag
Dunc Wilson. An absolute idiotic decision by him because he was called "Rebel" and figured this was smart, it was not received well, it was when he was with the Rangers. When he was on the Penguins he colored the red part in with a darker blue.

There's so many ways Logan Thompson could have done that theme that didn't look that way but apparently still decided to do it anyway, that's a bad look and I wonder if anyone has pointed it out to him yet. You'd think with enough of the older blokes in head office and management knowing what that looks like would say something by now.

Last edited:

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Dunc Wilson. An absolute idiotic decision by him because he was called "Rebel" and figured this was smart, it was not received well, it was when he was with the Rangers. When he was on the Penguins he colored the red part in with a darker blue.
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I had a distinct memory of seeing footage or maybe still shots of the Caps playing at the old US Air Arena and noticing what I assumed was their goalie with that mask on. So unless they had a keeper with the same schtick it must’ve been Wilson visiting with the Rangers, and I was mixed up due to the similar team colors

There's so many ways Logan Thompson could have done that theme that didn't look that way but apparently still decided to do it anyway, that's a bad look and I wonder if anyone has pointed it out to him yet. You'd think with enough of the older blokes in head office and management knowing what that looks like would say something by now.
I’m sure it’s been pointed out by now. Perhaps part of the reason the design might not have initially appeared problematic, is that if you look at any single piece of the gear it’s not that bad, but as soon as you put it together you end up with the stars and bars converging at diagonal angles and the impression becomes unmistakeable.

Unfortunate situation for sure, and yeah definitely hope that gets handled asap.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I might be in the minority but I find the tiger’s mouth distracting. It took me a while to realize it’s just the top and bottom of its mouth and not just a red blob.

Also, minor gripe but I’m not a fan of the random logos on the side of the mask. We get it MAF, you live in Minnesota.

That's not a tiger and those certainly aren't random logos on the side.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I had a distinct memory of seeing footage or maybe still shots of the Caps playing at the old US Air Arena and noticing what I assumed was their goalie with that mask on. So unless they had a keeper with the same schtick it must’ve been Wilson visiting with the Rangers, and I was mixed up due to the similar team colors

I suspect you are thinking of Mike Palmateer's mask while he was with Washington.

He was with the Caps for the '80-'81 season and the '81-82 campaign.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
While I enjoy seeing new masks, part of me longs for the days when a goalie had their trademark design and stuck with it, sometimes even if they were traded. Update the color scheme to match the team, and Bob's your uncle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad