2024-25 Line Combos

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Norris - Pinto - Batherson
Perron - Greig - Amadio
Gregor - Halliday - MacEwan/Ostapchuk
- it will be interesting to see whether Ostapchuk or Halliday make the team or both

Chabot _ Jensen
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD
- Hamonic is a yr removed from a 21 pt season, he was clearly injured most of last yr & should be a very good mentor for Kleven & JBD like he was for Sanderson

Ullmark - Forsberg/Sogaard
- Ullmark needs to be great next season, but the entire team need to be much better defensively

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I feel we might have to in order to make sure JBD/Hamonic stay as 7th defenders. A 3rd pairing defender that can play both sides would help with development for both Kleven and JBD
Yeah, I would take a strong, defensive righty though. Not really worried about Kleven if he's with a sturdy, big, defensive D-man.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Answer is obviously # 2 imo. No debate.

Crazy how much turnover in general. 7 new bodies (likely + 1 or 2 more depending what else they do), plus Norris/Pinto potentially full time. That's half the team.
What I find interesting is our extra's and callups,

Up front, Jarventie, Halliday, Crookshank, Gaudette, all look like reasonable options

On the backend we're a little thinner imo, Guenette, Mantipalo, and maybe Sebrango?

Might need to shore up depth on the backend.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Up front, Jarventie, Halliday, Crookshank, Gaudette, all look like reasonable options

On the backend we're a little thinner imo, Guenette, Mantipalo, and maybe Sebrango?

They do need to shore it up on the back end imo, but absolutely this is looking like a factor this year. Management has talked about the investment down there and the importance of it, so it seems like it should pay dividends. Having capable call ups stashed is a huge piece to the puzzle.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I mean Roos could probably be called up. But I 100% agree that we need more on the blueline. IMO more on the left than on the right, in terms of depth.

On the right we could use an actual good player for the third pairing but I don't think that's in the cards.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah, I would take a strong, defensive righty though. Not really worried about Kleven if he's with a sturdy, big, defensive D-man.
This is not going to be an popular opinion, but I'll voice it anyway. Hamonic mentored Sanderson & Sanderson has said how much it helped him & how much he appreciated Hamonic's help. Hamonic is a yr removed from a 21 pt season & was clearly injured for most of last season & played hurt a lot. He is one of those guys that plays the hard minutes including the PK, blocks a lot of shots & is counted on to the clear the front of the net. He's a vet defenceman who is clearly appreciated by the coaching staff & players for his experience & ability to mentor younger players. The best players are not always the best people to mentor younger players.

Hamonic is a stay at home defenceman which IMO could give Kleven some opportunities to show his offensive side & skate the puck out of the D zone & make some offensive surges into the offensive zone. Knowing his partner will be back to protect his back might give him the leeway to be more of an offensive threat. I don't expect that at the beginning of the season, but as the yr progresses we might see more of that. JBD will also play a number of games, but also plays more of a defensive game which again leaves Kleven to show a little more offence. At least that is how I hope it pans out, we'll see.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This is not going to be an popular opinion, but I'll voice it anyway. Hamonic mentored Sanderson & Sanderson has said how much it helped him & how much he appreciated Hamonic's help. Hamonic is a yr removed from a 21 pt season & was clearly injured for most of last season & played hurt a lot. He is one of those guys that plays the hard minutes including the PK, blocks a lot of shots & is counted on to the clear the front of the net. He's a vet defenceman who is clearly appreciated by the coaching staff & players for his experience & ability to mentor younger players. The best players are not always the best people to mentor younger players.

Hamonic is a stay at home defenceman which IMO could give Kleven some opportunities to show his offensive side & skate the puck out of the D zone & make some offensive surges into the offensive zone. Knowing his partner will be back to protect his back might give him the leeway to be more of an offensive threat. I don't expect that at the beginning of the season, but as the yr progresses we might see more of that. JBD will also play a number of games, but also plays more of a defensive game which again leaves Kleven to show a little more offence. At least that is how I hope it pans out, we'll see.
I think the best way to go about this is to look at Hamonic as a coach that can play if need be. Let him work with Kleven and ride the pine, unless we can't find a suitable replacement. I'm not sure if he can recover from his injuries and get back to NHL form personally. And with the matches in the NHL, that can be disastrous for us.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If Hamonic plays well enough to earn a spot, I'm fine with him getting in the lineup, l just don't expect it.

I don't mind him as a good pro to help the young kid off ice and in practice, that still brings value even if he isn't good enough to play anymore

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It'd be so awesome if Norris is 100% healthy and can recreate the Brady Norris Bath line which was so dope a couple of years ago
That would be wild, I mean, i have zero expectations of it, but...

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson was a dominant line to finish the 2021-22 season, and if you can have them along with Stutzle-Giroux and one of Greig, Pinto or Perron, that seems pretty dangerous.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm guessing they sign Katchouk and add another reliable 3rd pairing Dman and that's it for the offseason.

Would not be opposed to adding Lorentz as 13th forward either since you can throw him out there and not be worried.

Cousins could be interesting but I'm not sure they would go there with his antics... Although Perron has his share too ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad