2024-25 Kraken Roster discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I wasn't impressed the way he handled Wright's first year, that's for sure. Last year, the team collectively did not seem to play hard every night the way that they had in the past. In fact it had been, to my way of thinking, a point of pride how hard the team played in its first two years. Last year too many times, they just seemed to mail it in. It made too many games, especially in the second half of the season, an absolute chore to watch. I have no way of knowing but it seemed Hakstol lost the room. Plus, if you are the GM, you can't have your team playing listless hockey, especially at home. I thank Hakstol for his contributions, but I also think it was time for a change. We just couldn't risk another year like the last one.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

However, I do think Hak may have lost the room, but not in a "f*** this!" manner, but more of a "why bother?" manner. The former is much worse, because I don't think you come back from that for a while because it means not only a coaching change, but probably means having to move a good number of higher profile players to find the room again (think Winnipeg a couple of years ago as being an example). I don't think the Kraken players were ever "f*** this!". They just didn't have the motivating factor of the first two season, because the coach was simply the wrong guy to get a team through "why bother?". He just doesn't come off as a guy who could turn the commitment around if it is ever lost and it clearly was. I do think Bylsma has the personality to be able to get things turned about from a buy-in perspective.

That all said, I don't think Hakstol was a mistake, he just wasn't the right guy for the team at the point he was fired. It's not like many head coaches in the NHL last 3 full seasons with the same club anyway. He did fine, but Francis moving on from him was 100% the right move.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
So….

Who do you all think gets traded away to make thr salary cap? But more importantly, what do we gain/lose to move that player.

Sadly, Columbus hasn’t met the floor and has some needs. Maybe they need a player like Gourde?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Ok. Let’s look WAY into this JVR rumor… what about Schwartz? That seems like a very realistic move. His full NMC looks to have turned into a M-NTC over the summer. Looking at other players in that position in our depth chart, I couldn’t imagine them moving McCann, and losing Kartye isn’t enough of a cap hit to make up for the need when adding even 1 player. There’s also Tolvanen, but I’d not like that too much.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Ok. Let’s look WAY into this JVR rumor… what about Schwartz? That seems like a very realistic move. His full NMC looks to have turned into a M-NTC over the summer. Looking at other players in that position in our depth chart, I couldn’t imagine them moving McCann, and losing Kartye isn’t enough of a cap hit to make up for the need when adding even 1 player. There’s also Tolvanen, but I’d not like that too much.
The 3 names that I thought of were Tanev, Gourde or Schwartz. Schwartz makes the most sense to me, but I don't know how hard it would be to move him. He is oft injured, and has another season after this on his contract.

McCann is pretty much part of our current core. Don't see us moving him. Tolvanen would be the easiest to move, so they may be forced to move him if no other offers present themselves for the other players.

Gourde is another player we could move but doing so without knowing if Wright is ready for 3C would be a risk.

Don't know if any buyout windows are open before season start, but maybe they buyout Schwartz or Tanev?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What might be, in effect, a JVR for Tolvanen trade sounds like a really bad idea to me. I hope we don't go that route.

Reactions: The Marquis

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What might be, in effect, a JVR for Tolvanen trade sounds like a really bad idea to me. I hope we don't go that route.

I think Tolvanen is already better than present day JVR so, yeah, that would be a step backwards. JVR is bound to be much cheaper though.

McCann-Beniers-Bjorkstrand
Wright-Stephenson-Burakovsky
Tolvanen-Gourde-Eberle
JVR-Kartye-Tanev

Maybe something like could work. They would need to move out Schwartz. He is the odd man out anyway since Tanev is a bottom-6 player and Schwartz is not really meant for a role like that. JVR would be cheaper and a better option than either Tanev or Schwartz in that bottom-6 role.

But something has got to give IF we are to actually sign JVR. He also needs to be ok playing a role on the 4th line.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm just fine if the odd man out is Schwartz. And if it's Tanev, I can live with that.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
So….

Who do you all think gets traded away to make thr salary cap? But more importantly, what do we gain/lose to move that player.

Sadly, Columbus hasn’t met the floor and has some needs. Maybe they need a player like Gourde?

Trading guys to Columbus would most likely be a cap dump.

There's no way I see Gourde being that and I doubt that Columbus, after sadly losing Gaudreau, is looking to go for it and trade away prospects and or picks for anyone.

Schwartz still has two more years left and would cost us at least a 2nd rounder + to get out of his contract.

So I think Tanev is the only guy that would make sense and at least not cost us assets to get rid off.l

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Trading guys to Columbus would most likely be a cap dump.

There's no way I see Gourde being that and I doubt that Columbus, after sadly losing Gaudreau, is looking to go for it and trade away prospects and or picks for anyone.

Schwartz still has two more years left and would cost us at least a 2nd rounder + to get out of his contract.

So I think Tanev is the only guy that would make sense and at least not cost us assets to get rid off.l

I think Tanev ordinarily would cost a bit to move at this point. I'm not sure if Columbus would take him for free.

Schwartz would certainly cost a pretty penny to move at this time, maybe a couple 2nds.

here's a thought seattle goes 13/6/2 if we don't move anyone

I've seen teams do 12/7/2 a lot.

13/6/2 is an issue when a D goes down.

Reactions: Renopucker

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Are the Kraken improved?
From last season? Most certainly.

Montour alone makes us much better. Having Dunn and Montour on the ice for almost 50 minutes a game should have a big impact.

I know people are low on Stephenson but I am interested in seeing how he does first. The north-south game that he brings is aligned with Bylsma's style and also something that could complement Burakovsky well.

I am not banking on Wright to be overly productive but I can see him chipping in 35-40 points on the 3rd line which would give us much added depth scoring.

How much better, remains to be seen. But I am pretty sure the team will come out hard. Having a new coach does that and seeing Francis add Montour and Stephenson to the roster unequivocally signals to them that management believes in them.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad