Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
What would you trade for a signed Rantanen? In a main board thread, I suggested a package around Zegras + Zellweger. Maybe they would prefer hometown Terry to Zegras? Unfortunately I think the only way we get Rantanen is to trade for him.

If the only way to get him is to trade for him, then you’d also have to assume that you won’t be able to sign him.

I’d offer future considerations. All the premiere assets would be off the table.

IF he signs a reasonable extension first, your offer is reasonable.

However, we suck, so he won’t sign a reasonable offer to play here, it will be above market value.

So the question then becomes - how much are you willing to blow up your salary structure to get him?

Reactions: lwvs84 and Static

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
If the only way to get him is to trade for him, then you’d also have to assume that you won’t be able to sign him.

I’d offer future considerations. All the premiere assets would be off the table.

IF he signs a reasonable extension first, your offer is reasonable.

However, we suck, so he won’t sign a reasonable offer to play here, it will be above market value.

So the question then becomes - how much are you willing to blow up your salary structure to get him?
I’m definitely skeptical on the idea that he’d sign here when he could just wait a few months to be a UFA. We’d probably have to give him some kind of premium to forfeit that opportunity. I have to think $11M is the absolute floor for him, but it’s probably going to come in between $11.5M-$13M.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
If he signs an extension, why would the Avs move him?

He’s one of the top forwards and is becoming a perennial 100 point player. I’ve read that Colorado has an internal cap, but Rantanen is probably one of those players that a team needs to keep and just pay him.

The only issue would be if he doesn’t want to play in Colorado. He has a modified NTC that he would probably waive for the right team.

As for the Ducks, I’d say our chances are slightly less than zero. But I’d give Zegras, or Terry if necessary, and Zellweger all day long for a 100 point sniper. Pay him his $13m and hope he can pot 75 points at age 36.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If he signs an extension, why would the Avs move him?

He’s one of the top forwards and is becoming a perennial 100 point player. I’ve read that Colorado has an internal cap, but Rantanen is probably one of those players that a team needs to keep and just pay him.

The only issue would be if he doesn’t want to play in Colorado. He has a modified NTC that he would probably waive for the right team.

As for the Ducks, I’d say our chances are slightly less than zero. But I’d give Zegras, or Terry if necessary, and Zellweger all day long for a 100 point sniper. Pay him his $13m and hope he can pot 75 points at age 36.

John
Terry's from Denver btw. Maybe that increases his value to the Avs for 0.005%.

But Rantanen is about to be 28 this month, not sure how keen Pat would be to give a 8 year contract that'd probably be 2x of what other players get on this team in near future.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So for perspective people. Benoit, a guy we let go, has outplayed TL and we want to being TL in which would reduce opportunity's for Luneau and Zell as they both play RS? That's what we're advocating here?

Idk that out played is the right word.

Idk that I like the fit much tho . Even with a fowler trade…. I think I’d rather just let zellweger play.

Reactions: lwvs84 and DavidBL

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That's fair. Simply though, SB was decided to be more important to their top 7 D than TL.

I think it had more to do with fit/identity than anything…. I imagine a team that goes for liljegren will be fine with what they get, he’s potential top 4 who brings some offense.

Might be one of those guys that benefits from change of scenery

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think it had more to do with fit/identity than anything…. I imagine a team that goes for liljegren will be fine with what they get, he’s potential top 4 who brings some offense.

Might be one of those guys that benefits from change of scenery
I'd imagine they would be if they take on that salary. I don't think
the fit is any better here. He's a lesser Fowler(much lesser IMO). He just plays the right instead which isn’t really relevant when both Luneau and Zell play or can play RS.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
So for perspective people. Benoit, a guy we let go, has outplayed TL and we want to being TL in which would reduce opportunity's for Luneau and Zell as they both play RS? That's what we're advocating here?

I really doubt Benoit has outplayed Liljegren.

Timing is everything here. Liljegren signed June 30. One day before he was eligible as an RFA/arbitration. Also one day before the Maple Leafs signed Chris Taney to 6 year contract.

The wild card is Hakanpaa. Toronto signed him in September. If they feel Jani is able to go, he fits the win now Maple leafs much better for less.

I kind of see the Liljegren 2 year signing as a stop gap in case they needed him, not necessarily as a future piece.

It is a bit like the insurance signing of Strome, except Strome had a better resume coming in, but now he is not moveable.

I’m not saying Liljegren is PV top 4 RH answer, but Benoit is not. But 2 years for a 23 point + Dman is hardly any risk. If he works great, if not move on. It’s not like it jeopardizes any signing due to cap space.

John

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd imagine they would be if they take on that salary. I don't think
the fit is any better here. He's a lesser Fowler(much lesser IMO). He just plays the right instead which isn’t really relevant when both Luneau and Zell play or can play RS.
Oh I agree idk that I see a big fit here… until guys like Mintyukov show they can carry a pairing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad