Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
I know trades can happen at any time, but I feel like if a team was going to make a strong offer for Zegras it would have happened at the draft.
It could have happened. However, trading Zegras in a deal for picks or a middling player + good picks doesn't make this team better.

Reactions: lwvs84
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The only reason i don’t care if Verbeek says anything is because that Habs gm did that very thing with Subban, then he was traded.
Exactly, gms lie and when it’s about stuff like this no one cares. All of the arguments about why Verbeek couldn’t nip this in the bud are ridiculous IMO. Just look at Ottawa, twice Staios has done exactly this and it shut everyone up.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
No he didn’t, you can’t compare the years those two were traded to what is hypothetically the year before Vatrano is. In the year prior Bert had more points than Vatrano in 14 fewer games and Tarasenko was well over a point a game in his. Both guys also hit 30 goals in those years and likely have more name value and track record, Tarasenko much moreso. And that’s before looking at even strength-power play splits. If somehow Frank is on 40 pace this year, then sure, it might be a reasonable ask but that isn’t particularly likely.

The two years before the trades, and the trade years.
IMG_5283.jpeg

163 GP 59G 42A 107P Cap hit would be 1.875M (@50% retained)

IMG_5285.jpeg

77GP 35G 34A 69P TWO broken hands the season traded, 2.375M cap hit (@50% retained) Returned a 1st and conditional 4th.

IMG_5286.jpeg

99GP 38G 58A 96P Cap hit @50% retained) 3.75M Trade was Tarasenko +Mikkola for 1st, 4th, Blais, Hunter Skinner

Frank has a lower PPG, but amassed quite a few more goals, because the health of the other two just hasn’t been there. If he scores 15, yup, not worth much. If he’s on pace for 30+ again, and stays healthy, he will be a better chance to score goals during the actual trade year, at a lower to much lower cap hit.

Those two were not the players they were in the year before their trade.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The two years before the trades, and the trade years.
View attachment 893747

163 GP 59G 42A 107P Cap hit would be 1.875M (@50% retained)

View attachment 893748
77GP 35G 34A 69P TWO broken hands the season traded, 2.375M cap hit (@50% retained) Returned a 1st and conditional 4th.

View attachment 893751
99GP 38G 58A 96P Cap hit @50% retained) 3.75M Trade was Tarasenko +Mikkola for 1st, 4th, Blais, Hunter Skinner

Frank has a lower PPG, but amassed quite a few more goals, because the health of the other two just hasn’t been there. If he scores 15, yup, not worth much. If he’s on pace for 30+ again, and stays healthy, he will be a better chance to score goals during the actual trade year, at a lower to much lower cap hit.

Those two were not the players they were in the year before their trade.
Going a full two years before the trade is hilarious. Yes they were injured, no it didn’t really affect their trade value, just as it won’t affect Frank’s if he sprains his ankle in November and is fully recovered by January. If he’s pacing for 15 goals he might not fetch a third and pacing for 30, which isn’t particularly likely as it is, is far from a guarantee he’d get a first. Look at what wingers went for this year.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Spring Hill, Tennessee
I just saw this. Who knows. To much smoke . I would bet anything though, a Zegras trade will not be for futures. And I’m also 50/50 if he’s traded verbeek will end up telling us that Zegras asked for a trade but that they kept it quiet etc
Too much smoke?
It’s a random Twitter account that calls himself an insider.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Going a full two years before the trade is hilarious. Yes they were injured, no it didn’t really affect their trade value, just as it won’t affect Frank’s if he sprains his ankle in November and is fully recovered by January. If he’s pacing for 15 goals he might not fetch a third and pacing for 30, which isn’t particularly likely as it is, is far from a guarantee he’d get a first. Look at what wingers went for this year.
I didn’t think Tarasenko playing only 10 games 3 seasons prior, or Bertuzzi being a 21G 26/27A player 3 and 4 years prior would help your argument much.

Rentals are for how the players are playing right now. Neither player, due to injuries, was playing all that well. Bertuzzi has one good season is his career from a production standpoint. ‘21-22 is a statistical outlier.

Reactions: 70sSanO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad