Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I wonder how much of the problem could be coaching and management? You have an abrasive coach, who never had answers in post game comments, a clearly clueless special teams approach, and a well documented skate you into the ground concept of training. I can’t imagine that’s terribly appealing to a star player in their mid-late career either.

It’s not going to be the primary reason, that’s the team has been horrible, and horrible teams always have to significantly outbid contenders or even average teams, but I do think it could be an element of what’s going on.

Some players are adverse to old school coaches, but some thrive off of it. I mean, look at all the mixed feedback about Torts. And Cronin is a softer Torts.

Maybe its coaching, maybe its things like Bieksa eluded to in his interviews about top notch destinations vs 2nd rate destinations in how the team takes care of its players. Ultimately I think for the older guys its seeing a team that hasnt sniffed the playoffs for a while and knowing its going to be an uphill battle. I think realistically its next season before they are really pushing for a playoff spot, so thats 2 years killed from their little time remaining in the league.

In Stamkos's situation he would be half way done with his contract and how likely is it that Anaheim in his last 2 years is going from making the playoffs to winning the whole thing. If you are him, you are probably looking at the pitch from NSH that they are already a playoff team and they are loading up and go "Might not be perfect, but its a way better shot to play meaningful hockey, especially if they are as aggressive in the trade market as they are in UFA."

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
There’s far more to where you want to live than weather and things to do. There are massive culture differences between the Midwest, the south, California, and the northeast, and I’m not talking about politics. The way people interact and treat one another are completely different, and there are some definite negatives to that in Southern California if you’re coming from somewhere else.

People that live here even have a false sense of reality based off what the media tells them. Some people think this is a crime infested shit hole because the tv tells them that… the reality is that crime here in OC is below the national average.

Of course, it’s not for everyone but it’s a pretty damn nice place to live.

DaGeneral

Sponsor
Apr 15, 2012
There’s far more to where you want to live than weather and things to do. There are massive culture differences between the Midwest, the south, California, and the northeast, and I’m not talking about politics. The way people interact and treat one another are completely different, and there are some definite negatives to that in Southern California if you’re coming from somewhere else.
I don’t believe that applies to athletes - they aren’t communicating with every day people like we do. They aren’t split by culture, they’re in their own tier(rich people).

Cali has had some of the best athletes in the world over the past few years. The location isn't the problem, it's the fact that the team has been UGLY bad for the past few years and the most die hard fan couldn't tell you when it'll get better. 5 years? 10 years? who knows. There's nothing but mystery with the Ducks right now.
Nailed it

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
View attachment 891875
FYI… some how the Rangers still seem to sign players. Maybe it’s not all about taxes?

One thing that I thought was interesting also was hearing an interview with Bieksa talking about how Vancouver did a lot more for their players with regards to things like babysitting during games even that the Ducks didn’t provide. Maybe if the organization started taking those perks more seriously we might have a better shot also.

I dont think anyone is saying its only taxes. But CA also has the highest individual income tax burden in the US and some of the highest real estate costs. (Graphic is close but not up to date of fully accurate). Also, for the top 1% which these guys pretty much all would be, CA beats out NY by 1.1%. IMO all of them are too damn high. But again as has been previously stated, taxes are only a part of it and when you offer more, you can kid of neutralize the offset.

NYR has a different appeal than most teams in the league. When you are an original 6 team, with the history they have and playing in one of the most iconic arenas, you have a different draw and appeal.

I just mentioned Bieksas comments too. I have to imagine thats part of it, but hes also talking from years ago, so that might have changed?

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
People that live here even have a false sense of reality based off what the media tells them. Some people think this is a crime infested shit hole because the tv tells them that… the reality is that crime here in OC is below the national average.

Of course, it’s not for everyone but it’s a pretty damn nice place to live.
Where professional athletes live will never be crime infested or a shit hole. But there are areas of OC that aren't South Coast Plaza or Balboa. I love SoCal and have lived here all my life, but to think that athletes and agents don't consider the high cost of living when deciding where to sign isn't accurate.

Ducksforcup

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
It reassures me that Verbeek tried to go for these big-time free agents (although I am somewhat happy they ultimately did not pan out).

I think the Ducks are in a great spot cap-space wise. Now it's largely up to the kids to improve.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
It reassures me that Verbeek tried to go for these big-time free agents (although I am somewhat happy they ultimately did not pan out).

I think the Ducks are in a great spot cap-space wise. Now it's largely up to the kids to improve.
If the kids improve.. I think Terry needs to have a comeback season... His ass was lost last year.. Gauthier being there will help things. We gotta avoid injuries and having a full health defense will help.. In the end I agree.. Time for Z, Mact, Terry to take the reigns.. Carlson will soon follow.

Reactions: 91Fedorov

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don’t believe that applies to athletes - they aren’t communicating with every day people like we do. They aren’t split by culture, they’re in their own tier(rich people).

Nailed it
Of course it does. Look at how many rural Canadian players retire back to rural Canadian areas. There are differences in the degree of eye contact and smiling at someone you pass walking down the street in those different locations. I’m certainly not saying everyone likes the culture where they grew up, but many do.

The opinions of where the best place to live in my experience has been that most regions think the other regions are inferior, and are insistent that the other regions that think they’re better are wrong.

It’s not worth arguing about.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It was not, it was just matching what Doughty got a year prior. He was all-NHL three out of his last four years in Ottawa with a Norris and the only year he’s had since where he was used right he scored 100 points and won another Norris. Hardly broken down.
[/QUOTE
I don’t want to keep arguing but I think Karlsson was already having mobility issues and Doughty’s contract hasn’t turned out that well.

Both California teams.

John

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I really don't think the reasonings are as complex as people are making them out to be. I'd say it's probably 80%+ that we've been an absolute trainwreck NHL team for a long, long time, and will probably continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Sure, guys will all have their preferences. I was born and raised in Southern California and love it here. But if I were an above average, established free agent in my 30's with a lot of options there's no way I'd be joining the Ducks, let's be real. These guys want to join a plug and play, good team where they can win hockey games and compete for something. Not try to lead a bunch of 20 year olds out of the trenches of irrelevancy where you know the season is going to be a complete slog.

The tax situation is mostly the cherry on top.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I really don't think the reasonings are as complex as people are making them out to be. I'd say it's probably 80%+ that we've been an absolute trainwreck NHL team for a long, long time, and will probably continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Sure, guys will all have their preferences. I was born and raised in Southern California and love it here. But if I were an above average, established free agent in my 30's with a lot of options there's no way I'd be joining the Ducks, let's be real. These guys want to join a plug and play, good team where they can win hockey games and compete for something. Not try to lead a bunch of 20 year olds out of the trenches of irrelevancy where you know the season is going to be a complete slog.

The tax situation is mostly the cherry on top.
Yep, nailed it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don’t want to keep arguing but I think Karlsson was already having mobility issues and Doughty’s contract hasn’t turned out that well.

Both California teams.

John
Well again you’re using hindsight and 8 year deals for guys pushing 30 tend to not age well, that isn’t new. Both guys when they signed were considered top-5 NHL defensemen and were paid accordingly, that’s it.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
This is true. Just as an example, I've lived in Anaheim for all but four of my 42 years, and I love lots of things about California. And I know this is going to make me sound like an old man, but A. I kind of am one and B. I don't care:

I can't take driving here any more. The rudeness, the lack of respect for other drivers, the dangerous behavior...it's awful. When my youngest graduates high school in four years, my wife and I are probably out. There are knuckleheads all over the place, but we take lots of road trips around the US (note that I have not been to the Northeast), and there's nothing like SoCal. It seems like it's a contest here to see how little consideration you can have for other cars on the road. I'm over it.

/getoffmylawn
/mylawnismostlydryweeds

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
People are still bringing up this strawman about taxes? lol i thought we already beat this dead horse to a pulp.
Yes, because property values in CDM, RSM are just plummeting from all those 1% leaving the state because of taxes hurr durr
Too getzlaf to google for those in reality distortion bubbles, but the only people leaving CA in droves are not the 1% because "omg i can't afford income and property tax of my beach front home in Newport and CDM ...

Team sucks. Losing sucks. big ticket UFA like Stamkos on their last contracts want to win the cup, not slogging through losing seasons on teams rostering majority of players under 25. Teams like Ducks current status will only get guys trying to prove themselves on 1 yr contracts or aging veterans that they might flip at deadline to contending teams.
Not rocket science people.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
There is a combo of many things that may make players sign elsewhere:

Ducks are a bottom 3 team and have been for a while
Longer travel
Taxes
Californias reputation, “Don’t California my Texas” and so forth
Abrasive coach who at times appears clueless
Lil Ball of Hate GM
Ducks don’t offer Perks other teams do
Apathetic fan base

Many of these reasons disappear if the team improves and starts wining. Players are mostly competitive monsters and Im guessing they don’t want to play in a losing atmosphere even if they’re earning millions. I firmly believe if the young guys improve the Ducks start winning, players will want to come here.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I think we're all making way too much out of the taxes. The rich hire accountants and attorneys that protect them from paying taxes on most of what they make.

Reactions: Bender66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad