Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ocslug

Jul 3, 2024
Orange County, CA
LaCombe was terrible playing on the right. If I'm remembering this correctly, towards the end of the season, the team gave up on playing him offhand. Think he might be the odd man out and trade bait for a righty. If the Ducks are going to acquire anything other than cap dumps, they'll need to dangle some of the prospect pool as bait eventually.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Dunno if this has been brought up yet, but Seravalli on the Ducks' situation yesterday:

"Let me tell you this, a lot of people have been all over the Anaheim Ducks, because they were talking about getting a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman. They were in on all the big fish, they offered more term and more money on all of them: Stamkos, Marchessault, all these players. They offered more than that, than what they signed for. And they were turned down."

22:15-22:40

This was on the main trade board. This is what seems to have happened to our UFA efforts.

• Haha
Reactions: Arthuros

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Dunno if this has been brought up yet, but Seravalli on the Ducks' situation yesterday:

"Let me tell you this, a lot of people have been all over the Anaheim Ducks, because they were talking about getting a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman. They were in on all the big fish, they offered more term and more money on all of them: Stamkos, Marchessault, all these players. They offered more than that, than what they signed for. And they were turned down."

22:15-22:40

From the main board...he's probably more right than wrong on this. California in general and Anaheim in particular are not places players want to go to right now. And the reasons are many.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
100%. Some people might be happy that he tried so hard, but I'm the opposite. Assuming this is true, that scares me. No way should we have offered more term and salary than they received.
I think it’d be one thing if he offered more money, like there’s a good chance there won’t be any cap struggles for even five years so it’s probably doable, but more money and term and on both guys is ridiculous. Also makes me wonder what would’ve happened if Reinhart hit the open market and what will happen next summer when Marner does.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Hopefully this puts to rest Verbeek lying about a top 6 and RHD.

On the not-so-dark side, maybe PV and Cronin will realize some of our young players and treat them (him/Zegras) like valuable commodities that may be difficult to replace.

John

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
100%. Some people might be happy that he tried so hard, but I'm the opposite. Assuming this is true, that scares me. No way should we have offered more term and salary than they received.
Nothing scary about that. Verbeek knows more money and/or more term is the only comparative advantage we currently have, so he tried to use it. Reasonable behaviour.

In reality in most of these cases more money or more term would hardly harm our timeline, so no big deal. Sadly, the reality was none of the big fish guys they decided to target were willing to play remainder of their careers on a team that will have zero chance to compete during next 5-6 seasons.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
i guess LA and san jose aren't in CA anymore? because i'm not seeing them struggle to sign guys

If PLD and Karlsson are examples of not struggling and overpaying I’m not sure what is.

John

Edit Added: So much will hinge on Cronin and his ability to get our players to succeed. High taxes and playing for an AHL coach on a bad team is a big ask.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
SJ signed a couple of 2nd tier guys and LA did the same. Not really impressed by any of their signings.
aside from stamkos and a few others, most FAs would fall under the "second tier guys" category. and either way, they're still signings. i wouldn't deny that the tax stuff plays a role sometimes, but if guys truly didn't want to play in CA then you wouldn't be seeing the sharks or kings signing anyone either and that's not happening

If PLD and Karlsson are examples of not struggling and overpaying I’m not sure what is.

John
plenty of teams make bad roster decisions. most teams were throwing out ridiculous contracts the other day to FAs. has literally nothing to do with CA

not sure how EK was a bad decision for SJ at the time anyways

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Nothing scary about that. Verbeek knows more money and/or more term is the only comparative advantage we currently have, so he tried to use it. Reasonable behaviour.

In reality in most of these cases more money or more term would hardly harm our timeline, so no bog deal. Sadly, the reality was none of the big fish guys they decided to target were willing to play remainder of their careers on a team that will have zero chance to compete during next 5-6 seasons.

I disagree. I understand offering more money but offering guys 6 million (my estimate for Marsh) and 9 million (estimate for Stamkos) to contracts that takes them to 39 and 40 years old is stupid, IMO. I want the team to turn the corner too, but you can't sacrifice your future by forcing it now.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Can we stop with CA bashing please? Every city has their pros and cons and there's a ton of different reasons players choose to play the cities they play in. But as someone who lives in California, it's not fun to continuously read how terrible people believe this state is especially for some who don't even live in it and but want to comment on it. How about we just talk about the players and not about how you feel about this state. Since plenty of players signed in LA, San Jose, and here last year, the CA issues are clearly wrong.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Again, if PV was willing to go after those guys with aggressive offers, I have zero reason to think he’s just going to give up now and not try to make a splash of some kind. Specifically for the top 6

Making a splash for cash only is a lot different than a splash for cash and assets. I won't be surprised at all to see him go bargain shopping the rest of the offseason. No need to jeopardize future to fill a hole just because. If it makes sense, i'm sure PV will be trying.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
So sidestepping the fault in your logic wasn't good enough. Interesting. Enjoy your summer.
Still waiting on stats to back this up sir!

Can we stop with CA bashing please? Every city has their pros and cons and there's a ton of different reasons players choose to play the cities they play in. But as someone who lives in California, it's not fun to continuously read how terrible people believe this state is especially for some who don't even live in it and but want to comment on it. How about we just talk about the players and not about how you feel about this state. Since plenty of players signed in LA, San Jose, and here last year, the CA issues are clearly wrong.
I LOVE California by the way and miss it big time!!!

Reactions: Hey234

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I disagree. I understand offering more money but offering guys 6 million (my estimate for Marsh) and 9 million (estimate for Stamkos) to contracts that takes them to 39 and 40 years old is stupid, IMO. I want the team to turn the corner too, but you can't sacrifice your future by forcing it now.
My point is not that I want the team to turn the corner by signing the FA's, my point is Verbeek did the reasonable thing offering more money and/or term to the players they identified (that's the only thing we have going for us). I disagree there would have been any sacrifice of the future. Gibson and Fowler will come off the books (EDIT: forgot add Killorn wont be re-signed, same could probably be said for Strome, and Gudas), and by the time most of those contracts would have ended it would have not mattered. These are not albatross contracts we are sigining in contention time, these were meant to bridge the gap while we get to the contending stage.

And for the record, looking at the contracts I am not upset the way FA turned out for us.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad