Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Honest question - why do you even follow the team if you are so negative about everything? By far the most negative person I have seen on this board.

This team is loaded with young talent, one of which being a possible superstar in Carlsson. You choose to look at the point totals, I choose, and I think most rational people, choose to look at the potential and growth that our eyes show us.
I think it comes down to the nature of the word fan - fanatic. Some fans just have a hard time stepping away and finding something else to occupy their time when they aren't getting enjoyment from a hobby anymore.

The bottom line is rebuilds suck, so I get people venting. Especially in our case, knowing it's been half a decade since we've been competitive and that we're likely still flirting with another bottom five finish can be pretty disheartening no matter how much potential there is for the future.

I love the Ducks and always will, but as someone who used to basically tune into every game and be a "die-hard" I've stepped away more and more the past few years for my own sanity. I'll catch some highlights and tune in for a bit to watch the kids, but that's about it. As stupid as it sounds, it took me way too long to realize that I can just walk away from the screen and do something else.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
As stupid as it sounds, it took me way too long to realize that I can just walk away from the screen and do something else.
Which is what I have done with the Angels. I don't even watch them on television anymore. I just prefer not to be brain dead when it comes to the Ducks. I want something positive to root for, not just to walk away leaving them in the past of my life.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Verbeek go and get Necas and Trouba. All will be forgiven.

How? Mobile experience is horrendous.
Click your name. Click “your account” and then “account upgrades”.

I’m on mobile and could tell how much better it was instantly. Uses PayPal but even if you don’t have an account can do it through credit card. Instantly refreshing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There were three possible outcomes yesterday. One, we sign some guys to reasonable deals that will help our young core improve. Two, we overspend in a panic to rise in the standings and appease the fanbase and are stuck with bad contracts. Three, we do nothing. I prefer outcome one but under the current salary and term structure, this was not possible. Knowing that, I prefer outcome three to number two.
A more realistic outcome would be to not sign another Killorn type contract. Unless all of the kids get max termed like in Ott/Mon have been doing, you won't eat up all of the cap room when MacTavish and Lacombe are due up in 2025 or when Carlsson, Gauthier, Mint, Zell are due up in 2026.
So, I'd see what teams are looking to unload a solid player that just doesn't fit. But not a pure cap dump which a guy like Hayes from STL to Pitt appears to be. If NYI is looking to move off JGP, with his 2 years left, that's something to be interested in. There's probably other types of players in that situation as well.

But, Ana can't sit back and do nothing to help their kids improve next season.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Click your name. Click “your account” and then “account upgrades”.

I’m on mobile and could tell how much better it was instantly. Uses PayPal but even if you don’t have an account can do it through credit card. Instantly refreshing.

Is it a monthly charge? I hate reoccurring charges on anything. I’m cheap af though

Reactions: lwvs84

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If we could somehow change Frank into necas that would be the only top six exchange for him I'd be comfortable with.

It would be way too complicated though. Frank would have to sign an extension with Carolina, necas an extension with us (and be ok with not playing center again), and we would have to add something substantial on top.

From a pure hockey standpoint I think it's a good trade for both in a vacuum. Carolina needs goal scoring and lost two very productive wingers. We need a RH shot who is going to stick around.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
If we could somehow change Frank into necas that would be the only top six exchange for him I'd be comfortable with.

It would be way too complicated though. Frank would have to sign an extension with Carolina, necas an extension with us (and be ok with not playing center again), and we would have to add something substantial on top.

From a pure hockey standpoint I think it's a good trade for both in a vacuum. Carolina needs goal scoring and lost two very productive wingers. We need a RH shot who is going to stick around.

I’d be okay with that, depending on what else is included in the deal. However, isn’t playing Center the biggest complaint Necas has with Carolina? I didn’t see why he refused, but it was reported he wouldn’t sign an extension with Columbus. I wonder if playing center was part of the reason he refused!

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Which is what I have done with the Angels. I don't even watch them on television anymore. I just prefer not to be brain dead when it comes to the Ducks. I want something positive to root for, not just to walk away leaving them in the past of my life.
Baseball was my favorite sport for 40 years. I have not watched a full Angels game all season, and have not watched an inning since the first month of the season. As miserable as the Ducks are, the Angels are worse. At least the ownership of the Ducks wants the team to be good, even if they're a little slow to make changes.

Imagine having Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, making the playoffs once in 15 years, and getting swept that one time. And now Draisaitl is gone, McDavid is annually hurt, and the team has the worst prospect pool in the league. That's the Angels.

At least I have hope the Ducks will be good some day. The Samuelis have their faults, but they're not blatantly hateful toward their fanbase.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Honest question - why do you even follow the team if you are so negative about everything? By far the most negative person I have seen on this board.

This team is loaded with young talent, one of which being a possible superstar in Carlsson. You choose to look at the point totals, I choose, and I think most rational people, choose to look at the potential and growth that our eyes show us.

I am a fan like yourself, and will always be a fan. Yes, I’ve been negative, but it’s because I don’t see or feel the excitement that this team gives anymore.

Where do I even need begin? Ever since Verbeek took over, I feel like (myself as a fan - not sure if any others share my feelings) have been sold on false promises. I feel like the ‘culture change’ mantra they have been preaching is a BS excuse when there is little turnover of a roster to bring in different talent/different character players.

What I find confusing is there are people here who wanted to bring back the ‘Mansons, Henriques, Carricks’ all for what? In hopes of improving the team? If it didn’t work before - why would it again?

I’ll give Verbeek credit through drafting, to a point. He doubled down on saying he would rather draft intangibles over skill (something along those lines) at the Flock Event

So yeah, that’s just scratching at the surface really. The team has no fight - in competing with each other, pushing each other, etc.

Reactions: dracom
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Honestly might be more surprised they weren’t after fourth line types. Individually I like both Lundy and Leason and with McGinn and Johnston and Regenda pushing it makes sense for that 4LW spot to be filled but after Verbeek’s comments it’s a bit surprising to just run it back on that front.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I just watched the video again on the home page of the team site under "Ducks Video." Zegras is still in there with his brief cameo. I do think it's a bit conspicuous that he only gets half a second of screen time, but I don't believe it's changed from the original video. If they reposted a video somewhere else that has edited him out, I don't know where that would be.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Getting a little hard to get excited for the upcoming season. I mean there's storylines with the kids, sure. But unless some big changes are made through trades it's the same old veteran core only a year older. We'll probably see better results with the kids getting off season training and being more experienced, but short of the kids going on an unprecedented tear, this roster in its current state doesn't look like a playoff team.

And then there's the issue of being substantially under the cap floor and who knows what kind of assets it will take to get over it. I'm gonna be really unamused if we give some leftover free agent shitter a massive contract just to be compliant.

I read somewhere that Colorado barely has any cap space so maybe we can grab one of their roster players on the cheap. Who knows?

And last, I'm still not sold that Cronin is cut out for the head coaching job. It seems that along with the typical hindrances (tax obligations), players in the FA market still don't see Anaheim as a team ready to win. And I'm not sure I blame them. Cronin did little to show me he has what it takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad