HFNHL Lightning Top 20 Prospect Ranking

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
It's been years since I tried putting one of these together. Once upon a time it was a fun exercise because my system was flush with talent, but now, it was humbling to say the least. I won't complain too much given my pro teams success of late but the pipeline to maintain that success is drying up quickly.

With the graduation of Dylan Guenther, not a single high end talent player remains. Instead, there's lots of potential middle/bottom of the lineup options that could be ranked any number of different ways. 16 of the 20 players have signed NHL ELCs, so we're bringing in players that are getting a chance, I'm just not sure how many are going to be able to take the next step. If I were to break them into tiers, it would be something like 1, 2-6, 7-12, 13-25+.

1. Owen Beck - C - Drafted 2022
Put up huge numbers in the OHL this season and was named the Memorial Cup MVP. Should make his pro debut in 2024-25. Hoping for a 2/3C.
2. Anton Wahlberg - C - Drafted 2023
Very enticing prospect. Came over and made his AHL debut at the end of the season, putting up 4 points in 9 games. Hopefully the Sabres take their time with him.
3. Andrew Gibson - D - Trade
Recently traded to the Predators, here's hoping they can churn out another good D. Good size, good mobility, right shot...I think he's got a great shot to be a steady #4-6 type.
4. Felix Unger-Sorum - W - Drafted 2023
The other prospect after Wahlberg that I'm possibly overly high on. Unger-Sorum was barely eligible for the last draft and likely would have gone much higher if he was in this one. Lots to like in his game but will probably be a long term project.
5. Arseni Gritsyuk - W - Drafted 2019
Former 5th round pick has really come into his own in the KHL the last couple seasons. Added size/strength to go with his slick game has gone a long way. Uncertain if he ever comes over, but if he does, he's got a shot to bring some secondary scoring.
6. Ryan Ufko - D - Drafted 2021
Possibly someone that does a lot of things good but not enough great but I like him. Played 3 years in NCAA and made his AHL debut at the end of the season. Put up 6 points in 9 regular season games followed up with 10 points in 15 playoff games...I'll take that from a rookie D that isn't a 100% offensive minded player.
7. Carter Sotheran - D - Drafted 2023
Playing on a stacked Winterhawks team in the WHL has him somewhat hidden right now. Still producing really well in limited usage and I look forward to seeing what he can do given more opportunity.
8. Graeme Clarke - W - Drafted 2019
Perhaps a little higher rated than he should be but I'm a fan. Won't be a top line scorer in the NHL but has lead his AHL team in goal scoring the last 2 seasons and got his first few NHL games this year. Hoping he can find a way to bring some depth scoring.
9. Coulson Pitre - W - Drafted 2023
Didn't take the step forward I was hoping for this season but was named team captain and I'm hoping for a bit more of a jump next season.
10. Carson Bjarnason - G - Drafted 2023
Goalies are voodoo...who knows?
11. Matthew Robertson - D - Drafted 2019
I'm not ready to give up on him but time is getting short.
12. Jorian Donovan - D - Drafted 2022
13. Kalle Vaisanen - W - Trade
14. Emil Pieniniemi - D - Drafted 2023
15. Ivan Morozov - C - Drafted 2018

Not ready to give up on him yet but he went back to the KHL after a short stint in the AHL. Possibly the last we'll see of him in NA but I like his game.
16. Vadim Moroz - W - Drafted 2023
Late round pick for me that went way higher than expected in the NHL. Game improved in the KHL again this year and could be a big find.
17. Jacob Melanson - W - Drafted 2021
18. Alex Pharand - C - Drafted 2023
19. Maxim Groshev - W - Drafted 2020
20. Alexandr Kisakov - W - Trade

HM. Martin Chromiak, Brent Johnson, Ty Voit, Justin Kipkie, Justin Robidas

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I like both Wahlberg and Unger Sorum as well. Wahlberg worries me with the hockey sense, which is why I leaned towards Edstrom in last year's draft, but Wahlberg's athletic tools are extremely interesting. Unger Sorum had a good season as well, arguably better than Otto Stenberg's, his former linemate, with Edstrom, in their age group. I think the aggressive ranking is justified, even if the risks are always high with a player of his profile.

Perhaps it's just the Sens bias, but I do think Donovan has a very good chance to play, even if the upside isn't that exciting. The size and skating are there, the defending has come a long way, and he's demonstrated an ability to play different styles depending on where he's slotted in. That adaptability suggests he has a good chance to be a 3LD (better than a guy like Andonovski or Hamara, two other LHD coming out of the OHL in the system).

Reactions: Canuck09

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad