Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
There is a huge difference between 6.2 and "half". If I had the choice to live where I wanted and make 6.2% less or live where I dont want and pay no taxes then its a complete no brainer.

Anyways, I'm just saying the taxes matter obviously, but lets not act like we have to overpay by 20% to break even.
Well, that’s your opinion. Not sure everyone shares it with you.. I never said “half” either

Agree with your last paragraph

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't think trouba would be a bad add for us, even before today. Two years at $8 million is a comparable steal.
I feel like people are being a little hard on him, like he's completely washed. Maybe he can rebound in a smaller market with less pressure. Is he worth $8M? No, but who cares for 2 years in our situation.

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
If we take his whole contract, I can’t imagine he would cost much at all. Maybe they could use LaCombe?
I mean, two years at 8something million seems like an easy yes. We don't need the money elsewhere. Worst of worst scenarios you trade with retention or buy out for the last year.

Edit, not sure when bonuses hit, but technically he is paid more than his cap hit last 2 years.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
I’m getting mildly annoyed at these comments. It’s like 6.2% that they will be taxed more than states with no income tax. It isn’t half or even half of half, or even half of that.
California's highest tax bracket is around additional ~13%. Though I agree with the sentiment that state income tax is an issue, other states have high income taxes as well, mainly New York ~9%, New Jersey 10.75%, and Minnesota 9.85%. Canada's provinces all have high incomes taxes too. You don't hear the tax rhetoric from those states and Canada about why players aren't signing there. Most hockey players are not from California or the West coast in general and want to be close to their home area/region. Highly doubt CA's state tax rate as an issue about the lack of signings. Didn't prevent Verbeek from signing Vatrano, Strome, Gudas, Killorn recently. Just think Verbeek said no thanks to the players he was interested in based on the term and money they were asking for. Simple as that.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dude went MIA

I honestly think he saw the prices and was like, nope. We have no business making these kinda deals when our core is still developing. Anaheim has to add money to an already inflated FA market. I just think it was not a good timing for them. Have to use trades now, or hope our kids can take the next steps.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Dude went MIA

Oh trust me.. Its not the players only.. The family and Mainly the kids.. The schools.. ETC..
We have to spend 10 million to get to floor?

Going to be some sort of move coming, either Trouba or a big Winger via trade. Likely both.

Plenty of 4th liners go through waivers.... why throw out all this money on guys that want term... that will making our resigning our core guys harder.... teams are going to needs to drop some cap... and well be that reaping the benefits.

Watch and learn PV bout to put on a clinic.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I mean, two years at 8something million seems like an easy yes. We don't need the money elsewhere. Worst of worst scenarios you trade with retention or buy out for the last year.

Edit, not sure when bonuses hit, but technically he is paid more than his cap hit last 2 years.

I believe his bonus for this year, would have been paid out today barring any wrench being thrown into that by his current status in the player assistance program.

If I'm correct, he's owed a salary of 7,100,000 this year and next, along with next year's 2M bonus, total of 16,200,000. Cap hit of 8,700,000...so you're saving 1.2M on the cap if this year's bonus is paid or spending an extra 800k if it's not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad