Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Its frustrating at this moment... but i think PV has a plan... and going to take advantage of cap situations of other teams.

Prob would rather find cap causalities signed for 1-3 years rather than have to be locked in for 5-7 years on guys... and give us a tough time when our big contract summer comes up

I've been waiting for PV to weaponize cap space for a couple of years now. I've always ended up disappointed. The cap increase really made things easier for a lot of teams.

Reactions: Masch78

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I really don't want to have to talk myself into Trouba, Laine, or DeAngelo. All of those guys frustrate me, although, of the three, I guess Laine would frustrate me the least.

DeAngelo is a hard no.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Its frustrating at this moment... but i think PV has a plan... and going to take advantage of cap situations of other teams.

Prob would rather find cap causalities signed for 1-3 years rather than have to be locked in for 5-7 years on guys... and give us a tough time when our big contract summer comes up
Oh it's definitely frustrating. But I'm glad he stayed away from most of these contracts.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don’t even know if I’d say we’re staying away from offering the type of money that’s being handed out. Feels like these guys just want to play elsewhere. Verbeek hasn’t shied away from going after bigger names thru FA.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m getting mildly annoyed at these comments. It’s like 6.2% that they will be taxed more than states with no income tax. It isn’t half or even half of half, or even half of that.
6.2% times 5 million is 325K lost. It’s not half their paycheck but it’s not exactly chump change either. I mean, I think I might rather pocket that 325K too

Once again, it’s not the defining factor for why guys don’t come here. But it’s one of many factors

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For the record, I want neither. But I am at the point where I could grit my teeth and talk myself into Trouba.

I think folks just want something to happen, lol. Have a feeling we bring Rico back, and I am fine with that.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
6.2% times 5 million is 325K lost. It’s not half their paycheck but it’s not exactly chump change either. I mean, I think I might rather pocket that 325K too

Once again, it’s not the defining factor for why guys don’t come here. But it’s one of many factors
There is a huge difference between 6.2 and "half". If I had the choice to live where I wanted and make 6.2% less or live where I dont want and pay no taxes then its a complete no brainer.

Anyways, I'm just saying the taxes matter obviously, but lets not act like we have to overpay by 20% to break even.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
When you guys are asking for Trouba and DeAngelo…I don’t know what to even say. That “bar” has really fallen into the ground, huh?

I want nothing to with DeAngelo at all, but Trouba....

I wouldn't say want is the right word. We need a RHD who is capable of eating top 4 minutes + PK time, and we need some bite. In lieu of adding a true upgrade, I do think having Trouba and Gudas would be pretty miserable to play against. I'm not keen on taking the whole contract without being incentive or sending money back, but I could see us being in the conversation if he's being moved.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
On the tax thing, if that were the issue, currently the Ducks have the ability to overpay. I’m just not sure a bottom team in the midst of a rebuild is exciting for most players.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I want nothing to with DeAngelo at all, but Trouba....

I wouldn't say want is the right word. We need a RHD who is capable of eating top 4 minutes + PK time, and we need some bite. In lieu of adding a true upgrade, I do think having Trouba and Gudas would be pretty miserable to play against. I'm not keen on taking the whole contract without being incentive or sending money back, but I could see us being in the conversation if he's being moved.

Between Zegras, Gauthier, and Trouba would be one of the most hated teams in the league for sure, lol.

QuackAttack90

Nov 29, 2011
Did we get outbid on every player we wanted?
I don't think it means we necessarily got outbid.

For example i would not be surprised if we offered Stamkos the same 4x8 deal. The problem is that unless we are significantly overpaying for a player it is unlikely that they choose here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad