Prospect Info: 2024-25 Ducks Prospects

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Ducks dropped their draft video. One interesting note is that Verbeek started calling teams at pick #18 to try and get Solberg. It sounds like they were trying to trade up even if Solberg wasn’t available, but they really wanted him.

It's interesting the way he phrased this:
Stian wasn't one of the players we had identified for that trade initially. We didn't think he would be there in the early 20s.

Cool to see the extra planning that goes into it. They already had it planned that they could trade up to a pick from 18-23 with that package.

I said it before, but it wouldn't shock me at all if they had Stian closer to 10 then 20.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ducks dropped their draft video. One interesting note is that Verbeek started calling teams at pick #18 to try and get Solberg. It sounds like they were trying to trade up even if Solberg wasn’t available, but they really wanted him.

@Han Solo share this info that the team started up on the phones around pick 18 with us when he was at the draft.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

Solberg being described as in the "Gudas mold" is a :partytime: comment for me.

Reactions: lwvs84

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The Athletic, or also known as "we prefer prospects from bigher markets, as their fans subscriptions bring in more dollars". Lol. At first they ignored Dostal who was having some historic seasons in Europe, but he was too small, apparently. Now leaving out Clara... well, ok, bud.

It's simple really ... Dostal is too small. Clara is too big. Clearly, Wheeler's middle name is Goldilocks. He also happens to be a thieving lil' biotch who has no respect for other folks' private homes.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
To be fair, Wheeler had Dostal ranked in his top 10 goalie prospects each of the last two seasons. So I don't think this necessarily holds true in all cases. Perhaps Clara is an oversight or maybe there's something specific about him that Wheeler doesn't like.
Dostal more than deserved a top5 goalie prospect list by 2020 (2 years after his draft). Phenomenal U20 as an 18yo, best goalie in Liiga as a 19yo – it's insane. He was an HM at that point at best, as far as I remember.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Dostal more than deserved a top5 goalie prospect list by 2020 (2 years after his draft). Phenomenal U20 as an 18yo, best goalie in Liiga as a 19yo – it's insane. He was an HM at that point at best, as far as I remember.
That's probably why Wheeler had him listed there. My point is that it doesn't appear Wheeler willfully and categorically ignored Ducks goalies in the past, so I don't know why he would be doing so now. That's why I'm curious - is it an oversight? Is it something particular that he doesn't value about Clara? Or are we Ducks fans over-rating our goalie prospects?

Reactions: Kalv

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
That's probably why Wheeler had him listed there. My point is that it doesn't appear Wheeler willfully and categorically ignored Ducks goalies in the past, so I don't know why he would be doing so now. That's why I'm curious - is it an oversight? Is it something particular that he doesn't value about Clara? Or are we Ducks fans over-rating our goalie prospects?
Not trying to pile on cause I’m not sure how closely you followed dostals early career but wheeler looked dostal off due to an apparent lack of size (dostal is apparently 6’2) for like 3-4 seasons in spite of performing on par with other elite goalie prospects. (Conversely he was openly very high on Dustin wolf who is small)

Wheeler has even admitted that he was really late coming around on dostal. I don’t think it’s deeper than there being a lot of nhl prospects and only one wheeler but I’m not surprised that there’s a bit of residual bitterness

Last edited:

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Not trying to pile on cause I’m not sure how closely you followed dostals early career but wheeler looked dostal off due to an apparent lack of size (dostal is apparently 6’2) for like 3-4 seasons in spite of performing on par with other elite goalie prospects. (Conversely he was openly very high on Dustin wolf who is small)

Wheeler has even admitted that he was really late coming around on dostal. I don’t think it’s deeper than there being a lot of nhl prospects and only one wheeler but I’m not surprised that there’s a bit of residual bitterness

Fair enough. I just remember seeing him on Wheeler's list the past year or two, so I attributed the lateness to goalies being hard to evaluate.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Wheeler's 2023 top-10 prospect goalies, summer edition

He has certainly turned me from cautious a few years ago into a believer.

Dostal was on Wheeler's radar, but he chose not to believe in Dostal's product of work and talent while citing he's too short for a goalie. At the same time, he was constantly praising the shorter Wolf and ranking him high b/c he fell in love with a 7th rounder looking great. Other goalies played great too. Wheeler has been biased for years against Dostal.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
6'2 really isn't that short for a goalie. If he were like 6'0 or under maybe I'd get the hesitation.

There's quite a few good to great current netminders 6'2 or under, including Saros, Shesterskin, Fleury, Bobrovsky, etc. Yeah it'd be great if he were 6'4, but I think he's shown enough potential to be an above average NHL goaltender eventually.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
6'2 really isn't that short for a goalie. If he were like 6'0 or under maybe I'd get the hesitation.

There's quite a few good to great current netminders 6'2 or under, including Saros, Shesterskin, Fleury, Bobrovsky, etc. Yeah it'd be great if he were 6'4, but I think he's shown enough potential to be an above average NHL goaltender eventually.
Thats the joke...

He was criticized for being undersized when he clearly isn't.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Giguere at 6'1, Quick too as well ?

Wheeler probably says Saros is huge lol.

Reactions: Kalv

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Looking at the olen and hutson poll from a few weeks ago. Zelwegger had more votes. How is hutson #14 and zelwegger probably won’t get top 20 lol

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Looking at the olen and hutson poll from a few weeks ago. Zelwegger had more votes. How is hutson #14 and zelwegger probably won’t get top 20 lol
Ya this. Not even mad Zellweger hasn't been chosen, but damn Hutson and Wright going before him is crazy. Zellweger had a higher PPG in the AHL then Wright did, who was on one of the best teams in the AHL.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
And Dustin Wolf was always rated as some all-star potential goaltending prospect despite being 6'0 on a good day. It was wild how underrated Dostal's seasons were as a teenager in fully professional men's leagues, I suspect we will see similar with Clara.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
The World Junior Summer Showcase begins on Friday, July 26 (games start on July 28). Here are our prospects who are participating:
Beckett Sennecke (CAN)
Lucas Pettersson (SWE)
Austin Burnevik (USA)
Casey Terrance (USA)

Game Schedule:
Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 4.57.19 PM.png

Last edited:

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
The World Junior Summer Showcase begins on Friday, July 26 (games start on July 28). Here are our prospects who are participating:
Lucas Pettersson (SWE)
Austin Burnevik (USA)
Casey Terrance (USA)
*Canada has not announced its roster yet*

Game Schedule:
View attachment 896300
I had to look up Burnevik. I did not remember that he was drafted by the Ducks.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Beckett Sennecke (CAN)
Lucas Pettersson (SWE)
Austin Burnevik (USA)
Casey Terrance (USA)

Game Schedule:
View attachment 896300
Some European teams are playing a similar style tournament of their own with u20 rosters. I know the Czechs have played a couple games and port was in the lineup.

Reactions: All Mighty

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
For the WJC, these are the prospects who have a realistic shot at spots:

Sennecke - Canada
Terrance - USA
Burnevik - USA (I think he is more of a longshot, but he's invited to the summer showcase)
Pettersson - Sweden
Port - Czech
Uljanskis - Latvia

Unfortunately, Norway was relegated last season so stolberg will only be participating in division 1 instead of against the top teams.

I think that's anyone who has a shot, short of absolutely massive starts to the season for someone. I think if smith and masse have big years they could have at least summer invites next season.

Procyszyn is a wildcard; if he produces ppg and brings the same physical, defensive value he could get an invite to the summer showcase next year as a fourth line tryout. The Canadian coaches like bringing a couple of those types of guys like gaucher.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
For the WJC, these are the prospects who have a realistic shot at spots:

Sennecke - Canada
Terrance - USA
Burnevik - USA (I think he is more of a longshot, but he's invited to the summer showcase)
Pettersson - Sweden
Port - Czech
Uljanskis - Latvia

Unfortunately, Norway was relegated last season so stolberg will only be participating in division 1 instead of against the top teams.

I think that's anyone who has a shot, short of absolutely massive starts to the season for someone. I think if smith and masse have big years they could have at least summer invites next season.

Procyszyn is a wildcard; if he produces ppg and brings the same physical, defensive value he could get an invite to the summer showcase next year as a fourth line tryout. The Canadian coaches like bringing a couple of those types of guys like gaucher.

I'll add Masse although I'd say he's a longshot for this upcoming tourny and more likely to be there the following year. He's on the hockey Canada radar though, was given a big role at the u18s and performed pretty well

Reactions: Static and anezthes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad