Prospect Info: [2024 - 21st] Michael Hage, Chicago Steel (USHL), Committed to U of Michigan

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Just for sake of comparison, there were a few pretty good NCAA prospects taken in the 2022 draft.

D + 1 season in the NCAA

3- Logan Cooley- 60 points in 39 games
5- Cutter Gauthier- 37 points in 32 games
13- Frank Nazar- 7 points in 12 games (injured)
14- Rutger McGroarty- 39 points in 39 games
23- Jimmy Snuggerud- 50 points in 40 games

Of note, most of these players played with much deeper rosters than Hage has at U of M.

Cooley played with Snuggerud, Knies and Brock Faber.

McGroarty played with Adam Fantilli, Luke Hughes, Gavin Brindley and Seamus Casey

Cutter Gauthier had the weakest supporting cast in his rookie year at Boston College.

STEAL.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Same exercise, but with the 2023 draft:

D + 1 season in the NCAA

2- Adam Fantilli - Went right to the NHL
4- Will Smith- 71 points in 41 games
8- Ryan Leonard- 60 points in 41 games
15- Matthew Wood- 28 points in 35 games
19- Oliver Moore- 33 points in 39 games
21- Charlie Stramel- 8 points in 34 games
23- Gabe Perreault- 60 points in 36 games

I think that Smith's, Leonard's and Perreault's numbers were somewhat skewed as they all played together in the USNDT and joined Boston College together and dominated the NCAA (along with Cutter Gauthier). I have a feeling Perreault and Leonard's production are gonne take a bit of a hit this season without Gauthier and Smith, although they did pick up James Hagens.

For Hage, I would be somewhat satisfied with production like Oliver Moore who is another fast skating center picked around the same range, though I think Hage can surpass those numbers.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Too early to know what they have. Late picks are hit and miss. Could pan out or could be another Mesar.

• Haha
Reactions: SlafySZN

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Just for sake of comparison, there were a few pretty good NCAA prospects taken in the 2022 draft.

D + 1 season in the NCAA

3- Logan Cooley- 60 points in 39 games
5- Cutter Gauthier- 37 points in 32 games
13- Frank Nazar- 7 points in 12 games (injured)
14- Rutger McGroarty- 39 points in 39 games
23- Jimmy Snuggerud- 50 points in 40 games

Of note, most of these players played with much deeper rosters than Hage has at U of M.

Cooley played with Snuggerud, Knies and Brock Faber.

McGroarty played with Adam Fantilli, Luke Hughes, Gavin Brindley and Seamus Casey

Cutter Gauthier had the weakest supporting cast in his rookie year at Boston College.
I've been meaning to figure out a way to post something close to this
Thanks for this bud

Hage has -nobody- on that squad lol
He might put up one of those 60 points seasons next season with a better Michigan team

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
From MGoBlog (free site, and good)

On Michael Hage:

“Michael Hage continued his hot streak. While his goal was mostly a gift from Nick Dowd, Hage took his chance and finished nicely in tight. He now had three goals and three assists in just four games. He’s clearly Michigan’s most gifted forward (and probably player), and he’s showing it.”

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Same exercise, but with the 2023 draft:

D + 1 season in the NCAA

2- Adam Fantilli - Went right to the NHL
4- Will Smith- 71 points in 41 games
8- Ryan Leonard- 60 points in 41 games
15- Matthew Wood- 28 points in 35 games
19- Oliver Moore- 33 points in 39 games
21- Charlie Stramel- 8 points in 34 games
23- Gabe Perreault- 60 points in 36 games

I think that Smith's, Leonard's and Perreault's numbers were somewhat skewed as they all played together in the USNDT and joined Boston College together and dominated the NCAA (along with Cutter Gauthier). I have a feeling Perreault and Leonard's production are gonne take a bit of a hit this season without Gauthier and Smith, although they did pick up James Hagens.

For Hage, I would be somewhat satisfied with production like Oliver Moore who is another fast skating center picked around the same range, though I think Hage can surpass those numbers.
I wouldn't bet against Perreault continuing his tear, kid is absolutely brilliant.

Reactions: Sagikev

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
No Prospect recap from yesterday (Oct. 13th):

Prospects in action today:

- Khanin @ 12:30PM ET (he played with the KHL team Dynamo Moscow last game. Barely playing as the extra forward. We'll see if he's still in the line-up)

- Thorpe @ 2PM ET

Here's hoping he keeps it up. We've seen it often enough that our prospects get off to hot starts and then their production stagnates or the pace slows. However, it feels more legit with Hage than it does with the others.
I do not care so much about production but more on how they play. Hage has obvious NHL top 6 talent, now it's all about him becoming stronger and better defensively. I am leaning for him to stay 2 years in college but his play/development will decide that.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It's a late first round pick, not a late pick at all. Markov was a late pick.
21st is a late first rounder, yes, that’s what I meant.

He isn’t a lock or a blue chip prospect. A gamble, that’s what guys are when they are picked that low in the first.

Last edited:

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Please. We don't even know what Meesar is yet.
Have you seen anything from him yet?

He isn’t anything special, heck, he’s rated like their 20th top prospect. The guy will be gone in a couple of years when his entry level contract is up.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
I wouldn't mind signing Hage if he tears up the NCAA. Taking a step forward by playing in Laval could be a good move, but I doubt he'd want to ride the bus lol so I guess he'll play next season in NCAA as well then join us. Hutson this year, Demidov next and the year after, Hage. Good influx of talent coming up steadily, love to see it.

Have you seen anything from him yet?

He isn’t anything special, heck, he’s rated like their 20th top prospect. The guy will be gone in a couple of years when his entry level contract is up.
Buddy he's 20 years old, first AHL season and by all accounts he has looked good in Laval. He may bust or play elsewhere, but to write off a 20 year old is dumb, let alone a first rounder

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I wouldn't mind signing Hage if he tears up the NCAA. Taking a step forward by playing in Laval could be a good move, but I doubt he'd want to ride the bus lol so I guess he'll play next season in NCAA as well then join us. Hutson this year, Demidov next and the year after, Hage. Good influx of talent coming up steadily, love to see it.

Buddy he's 20 years old, first AHL season and by all accounts he has looked good in Laval. He may bust or play elsewhere, but to write off a 20 year old is dumb, let alone a first rounder
Seen enough to know he will be AHL fodder.

• Haha
Reactions: Habs and Sagikev

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
21st is a late first rounder, yes, that’s what I meant.

He isn’t a lock or a blue chip prospect. A gamble, that’s what guys are when they are picked that low in the first.
Where you are picked isn’t what make you a blue chip prospect or not. Hutson was a blue chip prospect and we picked him 62nd overall. Hage is pretty much a lock to become a top 6 guy.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I wouldn't mind signing Hage if he tears up the NCAA. Taking a step forward by playing in Laval could be a good move, but I doubt he'd want to ride the bus lol so I guess he'll play next season in NCAA as well then join us.
I think there is as 50% chance that Hage could be a one and done guy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

He needs work on physical tools so I wouldn't be in a rush to sign him, we'll see how the season goes though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad