Prospect Info: [2024 - 21st] Michael Hage, Chicago Steel (USHL), Committed to U of Michigan

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Carbo was quite fast too! Fantastic!
He was indeed.

Most of us old timers remember Carbonneau's coming out party: the 1984 playoffs, particularly in game two of the opening series against Boston, when Carbonneau used his great speed to sweep around the Boston defence and score the insurance goal in the third period. That speed was a revelation and served notice that the Canadiens ( with Chelios, Smith, Naslund, etc.) were finally on the rebound from the down years following the team's last Stanley Cup win in 1979.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not sure it's fair to say Hughes "didn't want him"... He just valued RB more.

In 5yrs from now, we'll have a pretty good lens to critique that assessment. Barring major injury for either player, how they look as players in their mid-20s will either validate or repudiate KH's assessment.

I don't think the org need/roster makeup question then will be a fair considerationgiven that in the present, we clearly have need for both a top line elite a order and a top pair RD...

This one can be a simple "who is the better player" question... But short of either flaming out quickly from the NHL pathway a la Yakupov or Juolevi, D4/5/6 is where it will become fair to call the decision good/bad (& quite possibly, the "bad" won't be because we passed on MM, but some other player picked after 5OA who takes off and becomes a star)
True. HuGo valued Reinbacher more. Michkov may be a very exciting player but if Reinbacher turns out to be a key piece in Cup win(s) he was likely the better choice.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He was indeed.

Most of us old timers remember Carbonneau's coming out party: the 1984 playoffs, particularly in game two of the opening series against Boston, when Carbonneau used his great speed to sweep around the Boston defence and score the insurance goal in the third period. That speed was a revelation and served notice that the Canadiens ( with Chelios, Smith, Naslund, etc.) were finally on the rebound from the down years following the team's last Stanley Cup win in 1979.
You have great memory

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
You have great memory
That three game sweep of the highly favoured Bruins was a forecaster of the team’s two Cup wins in 85/86 and 92/93. The Canadiens’ drafts in 1983 and 1984 which added Lemieux, Corson, Richer and Roy, transformed the team into a contender which it remained for the next decade.

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
That three game sweep of the highly favoured Bruins was a forecaster of the team’s two Cup wins in 85/86 and 92/93. The Canadiens’ drafts in 1983 and 1984 which added Lemieux, Richer and Roy, transformed the team into a contender which it remained for the next decade.
Don't forget the Finals appearance sandwiched in there in '89 (although I try to forget it sometimes, too). Until the recent loss to Tampa, that was the only time I ever watched the Habs lose in the Finals (I can remember back as far as the '71 Cup).

Reactions: Redux91

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That three game sweep of the highly favoured Bruins was a forecaster of the team’s two Cup wins in 85/86 and 92/93. The Canadiens’ drafts in 1983 and 1984 which added Lemieux, Corson, Richer and Roy, transformed the team into a contender which it remained for the next decade.
I think I subconsciously blacked out some of that spring because of way they handled Lafleur.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I blacked out some of that spring because of the way I handled Jack Daniels.
Lol. I remember being discussed away Lafleur was handled spring of '84. Probably why Mario refused to play here. Did it to Lafleur likely done it to him also. If I noticed it, Mario likely did also.

Start of Ronald Corey era in Montreal. He ran many stars out of here. Charbonneau included. Chelios I think, Claude also. Anybody came from Nordiques we shouldn't have touched. He probably sabotaged us.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Don't forget the Finals appearance sandwiched in there in '89 (although I try to forget it sometimes, too). Until the recent loss to Tampa, that was the only time I ever watched the Habs lose in the Finals (I can remember back as far as the '71 Cup).
Interestingly, of those three finals (1985/1986; 1988/1989 and 1992/1993) it was the finals that they lost (1988/1989) where Montreal had the strongest (best) team. While I may receive derision from some for my reasoning, I can say that the reasons for the outcomes ( both good and bad) largely rested on Roy, who was at the time, arguably, the best goalie in the world. While supremely helped in their Cup victories in 1986 and 1993 by the upset defeats of the then Stanley Cup Champions , the Oilers and Penguins respectively, the Canadiens couldn't have taken advantage of those opportunities without the play of Roy who won the Conn Smythe Trophy in each of those years. 1989 was a different case. Montreal had assembled what clearly was their best team since the dynastic teams of the late 1970s. They were better on paper than the Flames. Roy was simply outplayed by Mike Vernon in the finals. It looked, at times, like Roy was intimidated by Al MacInnis' shot.

Nevertheless, the Canadiens of 2024, bear some similarities to the reviving Canadiens of 1984 which was able to win the Cup in 1986. Both teams had a core of young, productive veterans, with Canadiens of 1986 having Chelios, Carbonneau, Ludwig, Smith and Naslund and the current team having Suzuki, Caufield, Matheson and Newhook. The 1984 Canadiens had a host of emerging stars and prospects: Richer, Corson and Lemieux while the current team boasts Slafkovsky, Dach, and Guhle and a prospect pool that includes: Demidov, Hage, Reinbacher, Hutson and the Xhekaj brothers which is far deeper and has more upside than what the 1984 team possessed. The greatest question is in nets. It is unlikely that Montreal will be able to obtain a goalie of the caliber of Patrick Roy. That type of goalie only comes along every twenty years. But between Montembleaut and Fowler, the team should have enough efficiency in net to compete.

The future for the current team looks bright, as it did for the gallant, but undermanned 1984 version of the team.

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Interestingly, of those three finals (1985/1986; 1988/1989 and 1992/1993) it was the finals that they lost (1988/1989) where Montreal had the strongest (best) team. While I may receive derision from some for my reasoning, I can say that the reasons for the outcomes ( both good and bad) largely rested on Roy, who was at the time, arguably, the best goalie in the world. While supremely helped in their Cup victories in 1986 and 1993 by the upset defeats of the then Stanley Cup Champions , the Oilers and Penguins respectively, the Canadiens couldn't have taken advantage of those opportunities without the play of Roy who won the Conn Smythe Trophy in each of those years. 1989 was a different case. Montreal had assembled what clearly was their best team since the dynastic teams of the late 1970s. They were better on paper than the Flames. Roy was simply outplayed by Mike Vernon in the finals. It looked, at times, like Roy was intimidated by Al MacInnis' shot.

Nevertheless, the Canadiens of 2024, bear some similarities to the reviving Canadiens of 1984 which was able to win the Cup in 1986. Both teams had a core of young, productive veterans, with Canadiens of 1986 having Chelios, Carbonneau, Ludwig, Smith and Naslund and the current team having Suzuki, Caufield, Matheson and Newhook. The 1984 Canadiens had a host of emerging stars and prospects: Richer, Corson and Lemieux while current team boasts Slafkovsky, Dach, and Guhle and a prospect pool that includes: Demidov, Hage, Reinbacher, Hutson and the Xhekaj brothers which is far deeper and has more upside than what the 1984 team possessed. The greatest question is in nets. It is unlikely that Montreal will be able to obtain a goalie of the caliber of Patrick Roy. That type of goalie only comes along every twenty years. But between Montembleaut and Fowler, the team should have enough efficiency in net to compete.

The future for thecurrent team looks bright, as it did for the gallant, but undermanned 1984 version of the team.
Great summary, i'd caution that Cayden Primeau is not relegated to the second spot, but rather both have every opportunity to establish their superiority this year.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
For sure that 84 draft was special along with 87…..regardless of any other strategy hitting at the draft table is truly the best recipe for building and maintaining a competitive team.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
My first year following them in ‘89.

Still mad seeing that clip of Lanny raising the Cup.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Nevertheless, the Canadiens of 2024, bear some similarities to the reviving Canadiens of 1984 which was able to win the Cup in 1986. Both teams had a core of young, productive veterans, with Canadiens of 1986 having Chelios, Carbonneau, Ludwig, Smith and Naslund and the current team having Suzuki, Caufield, Matheson and Newhook. The 1984 Canadiens had a host of emerging stars and prospects: Richer, Corson and Lemieux while the current team boasts Slafkovsky, Dach, and Guhle and a prospect pool that includes: Demidov, Hage, Reinbacher, Hutson and the Xhekaj brothers which is far deeper and has more upside than what the 1984 team possessed. The greatest question is in nets. It is unlikely that Montreal will be able to obtain a goalie of the caliber of Patrick Roy. That type of goalie only comes along every twenty years. But between Montembleaut and Fowler, the team should have enough efficiency in net to compete.

The future for the current team looks bright, as it did for the gallant, but undermanned 1984 version of the team.

MacInnis was definitely in Roy's head and that was the difference in the series. I don't think this team was stronger than the 86 team as Robinson had enormously regressed as had Gainey and Naslund had lost a step. Chelios stepped up to fill some of Robinson's duties and Richer was in the midst of a relatively poor season as he just didn't have his head in the game that season. Calgary finished the season just ahead of us for the President's trophy and had more firepower and a much better goal differential. They had two 50 goal scorers and two dmen almost at a ppg along with Mullen having 110 points compared to our leading scorer Naslund who had 84 points. Joel Otto was also an absolute beast as their 3rd line center and the best faceoff man in the game. It would be quite a stretch to claim that we had the better team.

I do agree with most of what you are saying and enjoy sharing these memories with fellow Hab fans who are old enough to have really watched those teams.

Last edited:

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Your pest, sandpaper, goal scorer and elite Goalie. Pieces needed to win even today

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

The game pairings are:

Friday, Jan. 3, 2025
Penn State vs. Notre Dame (Biondi), BTN
Ohio State vs. Michigan (Hage), BTN

Saturday, Jan. 4, 2025
Ohio State vs. Wisconsin, BTN
Wisconsin vs. Michigan State, BTN

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

The game pairings are:

Friday, Jan. 3, 2025
Penn State vs. Notre Dame (Biondi), BTN
Ohio State vs. Michigan (Hage), BTN

Saturday, Jan. 4, 2025
Ohio State vs. Wisconsin, BTN
Wisconsin vs. Michigan State, BTN
Excellent I get the Big Ten Network. I doubt Wisconsin is playing twice on the same day though.

Reactions: Nevins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad