GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
they may have to sign MP out of necessity tbh

I think keeping MP is weighing if you want the return he’d bring vs. his value as a stable partner for young players to develop with.

I can see both. Imagine trying to break in Brunicke next to Graves, Gryz, etc.

I lean to signing MP myself.

If we are at the deadline not making playoffs.

The haul has to be good. Im talking we retain 50% and we get a Haul. If not id look at signing him.

29 next year. Our LD is shot and Letang and Karlsson gone soon. It'd be nice to have dependable defensemen on this roster.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I do agree with Rusts point about how there's so much turnover year to year that a coaches message doesn't really get a chance to become stale in the way fans and media perceive it.

But imo a tenured coach becomes stale in a different way and that is that when a team plays a certain way for a long time there becomes a book on how to beat that team. Everyone knows how to stop our umbrella pp for example.

A new coach can take the league by storm because teams aren't always prepared for what that team is doing. The way the Pens played in 2016 wasn't radically new but it was so different from how they had played under previous coaches that it took the league time to adjust.

Yeah but Mike Sullivan still takes his job super serious and is always innovating and thinking around corners you just don't understand because you're a normie. Like... as to the bolded... Sullivan made the hard decision to ALLOW Dubas to fire Reirden but only after the season was already over and instead of hiring someone with a ton of powerplay experience and success he just hired his friend instead and they made zero changes to a failed and years-stale concept.

...which SEEMS foolish, lazy and irresponsible but is ACTUALLY really, really smart because he and Seth Roarablargle said so.

OK OK I'm done lol

EDIT: Hahahahaha... EK sounds a bit noncommittal, there.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
“I play young players! Just look seven years ago!”

How many other NHL coaches haven’t won a playoff round in 5 years and are still employed by that team? I don’t care about the NFL.
How many NFL coaches haven't won a playoff round in 5 years and still have a job?....well....besides Tomlin of course.

Even the most winning coach in NFL history got the ax after 4 years of not winning a playoff game.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I just hate how insulting that article is. Several times Sullivan says the media/fans are making up narratives but then straight up says he won't go into more information regarding scheme changes. Either he refers to shit he did 8 years ago or refuses to explain. Get this clown out of here man

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I do agree with Rusts point about how there's so much turnover year to year that a coaches message doesn't really get a chance to become stale in the way fans and media perceive it.

But imo a tenured coach becomes stale in a different way and that is that when a team plays a certain way for a long time there becomes a book on how to beat that team. Everyone knows how to stop our umbrella pp for example.

A new coach can take the league by storm because teams aren't always prepared for what that team is doing. The way the Pens played in 2016 wasn't radically new but it was so different from how they had played under previous coaches that it took the league time to adjust.

A teacher's pet coming to the defense of said teacher? I'm quite shocked!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
A teacher's pet coming to the defense of said teacher? I'm quite shocked!
Rust, Sid, Geno and Letang would die on a hill for Sullivan. Which helps exacerbate the problem of trying to move on from him.

Agree but I’ve been on this planet too long to not be a little cynical 😝
:eek3:

:thumbu:

Naw I'm convinced there's something in the 3 Rivers that makes media (and a ton of fans) complete cucks for Pittsburgh HC's. Too much fluoride?
If you're rude to the HC you get cancelled, so they feel the need to tread lightly. One could say they live in their fears.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Oh I don't know Mike, maybe it comes from the two times the Pens fired their coach in the Sid era. One of those new hires being you

This entire article is just Sullivan complaining about narratives against him and him denying them :laugh:
And not just the Pens…lots of teams who changes coaches, most of them in fact, do better after the change…see Oilers lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
For my entire life as a hockey fan, it's always been "NHL coaches are hired to be fired". It's so weird how Sullivan's been completely worshipped despite nearly a decade of embarrassing failures since the back to backs.

Tortorella... who of course Sullivan came up under... is always very, very outspoken about this idea being unfair and flawed if you were wondering where Sullivan gets that particular crusade from. Though I suppose "coaches should be appointed for life or until THEY decide to leave" is hardly surprising coming from a um... well... coach.

In any case... we all know Tortorella has the best ideas, yeah?

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Tortorella... who of course Sullivan came up under... is always very, very outspoken about this idea being unfair and flawed if you were wondering where Sullivan gets that particular crusade from. Though I suppose "coaches should be appointed for life or until THEY decide to leave" is hardly surprising coming from a um... well... coach.

In any case... we all know Tortorella has the best ideas, yeah?
Yeah, I mean, once you've got your foot in the door you're good for life unless you're a total buffoon. Especially if you have any amount of success. Guys like Torts, Hitchcock, Laviolette, etc. all stick around for literal decades, winning one Cup along the way. Guys like Ruff only make the SCF once, not even winning, and still coach for a generation. :laugh: Sullivan lucked into a team with a prime Sid, Geno, Phil, Hornqvist, Letang, and they all had massive chips on their shoulder--so he has his name on twice. Dude's basically immortal, I guess.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
That interview or whatever that was makes you wonder if these guys are really aware that they have not won a series or made playoffs in so many years

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That interview or whatever that was makes you wonder if these guys are really aware that they have not won a series or made playoffs in so many years

Seth Rutabaga or whatever.

Dude actually thought this article was a good idea and wouldn't make him look like the Penguins version of Baghdad Bob.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad