GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't see how a young player getting an extra 2 weeks of practicing with guys like Letang and Karlsson along with the NHL per diem is somehow "wasting his time" :dunno:
I was talking about an extra year in Juniors when he's probably ready to outplay other fringe D-men right now.

We aren't in desperate need of Brunicke this year. Give him a cup of coffee and then send him back to the W.
TBD. Missed the playoffs by a few points the last 2 years. Seems like every player matters.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Aho signing was a weird one. He's too small/weak to be effective defensively and he's not gifted enough with the puck to make up for it as a mobile/offensive defenseman. Surely there were safer defensive minded guys with a bit of size available that could handle that 7th/8th Dman role?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I wouldn't mind a Sprong for Pettersson type deal for Poulin. Would be nice to have a young LD to potentially push Graves out of the lineup

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are actually sending down real prospects to gain needed PT. No need to rush things.
Dubas will make moves as things progress. Pens are in better position now and I do think Graves, Jarry will be better. Bunting here all year and nice mix for the bottom 6 as well. Acciari is healthy and some better calls ups from WB as well.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is puustinen likely to play 2nd or 3rd line rw and on pp2? Or where is he expected to be playing?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm impressed they sent down Aho.

I thought he'd be better than Gryz. But he was absolute dog shit. Now do the same thing with Beauvillier.

Is puustinen likely to play 2nd or 3rd line rw and on pp2? Or where is he expected to be playing?

the-closer-brenda-leigh-johnson.gif

in honor of @KIRK

Reactions: Andy99

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think Pens will move a player early in the season. Brunicke and Rutger M may stay up just for seeing them in a game perhaps. But I do think both will go down for cap purposes after 9 games. Ponomarev to LTIR will be the player who takes the place of Rutger M. .Nieto, Ned and Ponomarev to LTIR along with Lizette. Pens will have to move a contract at some point. My guess is Eller.
Elmer isn’t going anywhere

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Whatever happens tomorrow, the "real" roster will be determined on Tuesday after Monday's salary cap shenanigans. Happens every year.

The Aho signing was strange in particular because we also signed Grz. They are very similarly sized and similar in style. Grz has more experience but I don't think Aho is needed. If we lose him tomorrow, we lose him.

I assume they want to give Brunicke some more time with the big team. But we probably start the season with 8 defensemen if he stays, so playing time might be scarce. They sure do love Ryan Shea for some reason. He seems to be the new Chad Ruhwedel, albeit a younger version of vanilla Chad.

Is Brunicke a better option than St. Ivany? It's debatable. Graves did look pretty good next to Brunicke the other night. I wonder if that is a factor here.

We are definitely a better team if St. Ivany is the No. 7 instead of Ryan Shea. But then again, I think St. Ivany is better than Grz and Graves, too. So, he does not really deserve to sit.

Up front, we have 14 players so either Brunicke or Shea go, or it will be Rutger.

I think they will likely send Brunicke back and keep the 14 forwards.

Reactions: PensCho34

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Brunicke's chances of sticking were always tied to Karlsson's health. He was never going to stay beyond nine games even if he stuck. As others have said, he will benefit tremendously by being a primary play driver in juniors for the first time.

The Penguins need to develop players properly. They cannot rush an 18-year-old defenseman when there is absolutely no need to do so.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
A numbers game I'd say they will need to waive Glass to cover the cap.
They don't need to do anything to clear the cap.

I don't remember if they can assign someone right to IR or if they have to be on the roster for a day to start the year. If they have to be on the roster, the Pens will temporarily assign St. Ivany, McGroarty, Ponomarev, and Blomqvist to the minors. They'll then be recalled when Nieto, Nedeljkovic, and Lizotte go on IR/LTIR.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pettersson wasn't a guarantee when he was traded. My point is to get the D version of Poulin. A 22-23 year old D that has struggled to get a spot.

That’s a bad way to describe MP28.

We traded a high skill forward who was having trouble entering the line up but played 42 games for a less skill D who had played 49 games.

Poulin has 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad