GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If L3 doesn't carry over this strong play to the real games and if DOC isn't getting it done with Sid, Puljujarvi should be tried on L1.
He looks to be on a mission this year.

Nah Puljujarvi's skillset doesn't fit well in a team's top-6. He's a 3rd line play driver, he doesn't have the hockey IQ to fit well with guys like Crosby and Malkin. He's perfect in the 3rd line role he's in, he'd be one of the last guys I'd want to see put in that top-6.

I've been super critical of Puustinen obviously but he'd make far more sense to put in a top-6 role than Puljujarvi.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Nah Puljujarvi's skillset doesn't fit well in a team's top-6. He's a 3rd line play driver, he doesn't have the hockey IQ to fit well with guys like Crosby and Malkin. He's perfect in the 3rd line role he's in, he'd be one of the last guys I'd want to see put in that top-6.
DOC worked fine with Sid and his hockey IQ is lower than JP's. A lot of it's just about keeping the puck in Sid or Rust's hands and making them play less defense on shifts. Puljujarvi's one of our best defensive Forwards and he's gonna make zone exits difficult for the opposition. He's gonna win board battles with that frame.
Execution on rush plays is important with Sid too, and that's often generated by confidence. JP seems to have that atm. He can help with net-front presence too.

Like I said, him on L3 works until it doesn't and he needs to be moved. Atm I'm optimistic with today's L3, but playing the CBJ B-team is not an indication of much. I'll care more about how they look vs New York and Detroit.

I've been super critical of Puustinen obviously but he'd make far more sense to put in a top-6 role than Puljujarvi.
Yes, overly critical. He's been totally fine. Generating points like usual. Quality PP setup. Solid top corner snipe.
You can make up for a lot of bleh play in a game with skilled execution in a few critical moments where others would fail.
This team needs more guys with soft hands, not less. There need to be fewer games where they totally outshoot and outchance the opposition, but can't score.
Gotta reduce the amount of work they need to put in per goal. Best way to accomplish that is through skill guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Puusy has a goal and an assist in the pre-season.

Beauvillier has an assist.

One of them has basically played every shift with Sid or Geno..
Yeah, the shit I'm reading by others there's no point in arguing with that shit at this stage.

Can we get a game or two of evaluation before we go full negative? This is supposed to be the exciting part. The delusions of grandeur part. You're already negative without watching the game.
Looking at the roster the Jackets put up, who the f*** are you trying to kid or fool? Yourself?

Cool.

Don't throw a fit if others didn't see it that way.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
DOC worked fine with Sid and his hockey IQ is lower than JP's. A lot of it's just about keeping the puck in Sid or Rust's hands and making them play less defense on shifts. Puljujarvi's one of our best defensive Forwards and he's gonna make zone exits difficult for the opposition. He's gonna win board battles with that frame.
Execution on rush plays is important with Sid too, and that's often generated by confidence. JP seems to have that atm. He can help with net-front presence too.

Like I said, him on L3 works until it doesn't and he needs to be moved. Atm I'm optimistic with today's L3, but playing the CBJ B-team is not an indication of much. I'll care more about how they look vs New York and Detroit.

Yes, overly critical. He's been totally fine. Generating points like usual. Quality PP setup. Solid top corner snipe.
You can make up for a lot of bleh play in a game with skilled execution in a few critical moments where others would fail.
This team needs more guys with soft hands, not less. There need to be fewer games where they totally outshoot and outchance the opposition, but can't score.
Gotta reduce the amount of work they need to put in per goal. Best way to accomplish that is through skill guys.

For someone who preaches about analytics as much as you do, it's odd that you're ignoring Puustinen getting absolutely dummied in the pre-season so far analytically just because he's a guy you liked last year.

Also it's weird to say "they need fewer games where they outshoot and out chance the opponent, but can't score" when Puustinen literally had 5 goals in 52 games last year.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
For someone who preaches about analytics as much as you do, it's odd that you're ignoring Puustinen getting absolutely dummied in the pre-season so far analytically just because he's a guy you liked last year.

Also it's weird to say "they need fewer games where they outshoot and out chance the opponent, but can't score" when Puustinen literally had 5 goals in 52 games last year.
It doesn't matter who has the last touch on the puck. It just needs to go in. Besides, he's probably gonna shoot better this year. It was his rookie season. Not exactly a tried and true barometer for seasonal averages from players for their careers. His shot's pretty damn hard and accurate.

As for defensive analytics, you can compensate for poor numbers very quickly with a few scoring plays. You just need to do enough to not concede more than you produce.
He did this last season and he's probably gonna do it again, wherever he plays next in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad