GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They shouldn't be making roster decisions based on this, but I'm almost inclined to keep Brunicke up simply so we don't have to see any of Clurman, Kral, Ludvig or Shea in the NHL. The AHL group of defensemen for the Penguins just look awful.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
So stoked we went out and got more vanilla vets because we certainly don’t have any players in the organization capable of filling those roles for league minimum.
Imagine seeing spots blocked by players like Hayes, Glass (sort of), etc and we have some better youth in the system that should get those minutes instead.

I wish Hallander would come back and be actually used by the Penguins, for one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Imagine seeing spots blocked by players like Hayes, Glass (sort of), etc and we have some better youth in the system that should get those minutes instead.

I wish Hallander would come back and be actually used by the Penguins, for one.

Who is being blocked by Hayes and Glass exactly? Who are these "better youth" in the system that aren't being given a chance?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
They shouldn't be making roster decisions based on this, but I'm almost inclined to keep Brunicke up simply so we don't have to see any of Clurman, Kral, Ludvig or Shea in the NHL. The AHL group of defensemen for the Penguins just look awful.
So what you're telling me is that they're executing the Sullivan system perfectly.

Who is being blocked by Hayes and Glass exactly? Who are these "better youth" in the system that aren't being given a chance?
I said Glass, sort of. If you just remove Hayes, you slot Glass into the 3c or 4c role, you open a wing spot up for one of the lads.

Beauvillier, Crosby, Rust
Bunting, Malkin, Rakell
O'Connor, Glass/Eller, Puustinen
Lizotte/Gruden, Eller/Glass, Acciari - Sully horny.

Doc/Eller/Puus can be a very good line, they were essentially "Sully proof" when kept together, but Doc kept getting moved up and down and even with Smith it was still pretty decent.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Groats really should have like 5 or 6 goals this preseason. His awareness and ability to consistently recognize where to be especially around the net is impressive. He does everything but put it away so far... which is extremely encouraging because it's hard NOT to see him as a surefire NHLer. But that whole "finishing at the NHL level" thing can be a doozy.

It would be so Penguins if finishing ends up being the difference between Groats being a top six player and a depth energy kind of guy. This team seems allergic to natural goal scorers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I said Glass, sort of. If you just remove Hayes, you slot Glass into the 3c or 4c role, you open a wing spot up for one of the lads.

Beauvillier, Crosby, Rust
Bunting, Malkin, Rakell
O'Connor, Glass/Eller, Puustinen
Lizotte/Gruden, Eller/Glass, Acciari - Sully horny.

Glass is probably a healthy scratch, since Puljujarvi likely took his spot.

Right now, it seems like they're sitting with:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Hayes-Puljujarvi
Lizotte-Eller-Acciari
Glass-Beauvillier

There aren't any young guys being blocked by Hayes in this, the only young guys "being blocked" are being blocked by McGroarty and Puljujarvi (and they're blocked because McGroarty and Puljujarvi are better).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Groats really should have like 5 or 6 goals this preseason. His awareness and ability to consistently recognize where to be especially around the net is impressive. He does everything but put it away so far... which is extremely encouraging because it's hard NOT to see him as a surefire NHLer. But that whole "finishing at the NHL level" thing can be a doozy.

It would be so Penguins if finishing ends up being the difference between Groats being a top six player and a depth energy kind of guy. This team seems allergic to natural goal scorers.

Sullivan’s not big on scoring goals. Corsi is all that matters lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's nice being able to argue about whether guys like Mcgroarty/Pono/Brunicke etc should make the lineup.

Huge improvement over complaining about guys like Zohorna/Nylander/Friedman not getting playing time :laugh:
Pono is injured yet again. He seems to get hurt a lot. Kinda getting annoying there.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Without Jake they sure will find a way.
I mean, they can fall to 32nd sure and I’m sure they will if Sullivan can help it, but that won’t get them picking in the top 5 lol if they were 31 last season and missed the playoffs by a few points…I’m sure Sullivan’s incredibly exciting low event hockey will be on display in any event lol…

I rag on Jarry but he actually had a very good game tonight…good, we need it

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Thought McG and Pulju looked good again today, could see those guys developing some chemistry if they get more time together, both are strong along the boards and hard to knock of the puck, which has been in short supply the last few yeras. Really looking forward to see what Pickering can become, he skates so well for a big man, and could be what the Penguins likely though they were getting in Graves when they signed him, really encouraged by what I'm seeing from him so far, though he definitely has room to improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad