GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also Sutter got plenty of chances in Pittsburgh regardless of Sid/Geno. He played like 15+ games as Malkin's center one year to "show him the ropes of the system" (lolol MJ) FFS. He just stunk.

Great trade overall, though. Thanks JR!

Reactions: Empoleon8771

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Also Sutter got plenty of chances in Pittsburgh regardless of Sid/Geno. He played like 15+ games as Malkin's center one year to "show him the ropes of the system" (lolol MJ) FFS. He just stunk.

To Sutter's credit, he was one of two Penguins to score in that embarrassing 4-0 sweep at the hands of the Bruins in 2013.

And that season was considered a failure, even though they made it to the ECF.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To Sutter's credit, he was one of two Penguins to score in that embarrassing 4-0 sweep at the hands of the Bruins in 2013.

And that season was considered a failure, even though they made it to the ECF.

Times sure have changed huh? Although in some ways I'd prefer the team just miss the playoffs altogether rather than put up such an embarrassing effort.

...which I had NEARLY blocked out of my mind to this point, BTW. Thanks a pantload, Chet lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

He also signed a large deal with Vancouver to be their 2C and continued to be exactly what he was with the Penguins.

I'm not saying that's 100% what Yager will be, but Sutter was picked in almost an identical spot in the draft (11th overall) and had a really similar skillset and lanky frame to Yager. It's not exactly a stretch to say that Yager becoming another Sutter type of center isn't out of the question. Just like it's not out of the question that McGroarty only ends up a middle-6 guy either.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I liked Yager as a rh center who had nice skill set and played a smart game. His RH shot was nice to have in the system. Now clearly Rutger has more upside and size ang and can score in places Yager just isn't as effective. Pens got a player that was a better fit in that he adds size, grit and some go to the net skills that Pens just don't have enough of. I am hopeful Dubas as he drafted RD up the kazoo, he does the same for RH RW and RH center as well in the draft. Plus I do think a trade or two to bring in a RH wing prospect or RH center will happen.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
there does seem to be a lot of emotions about these players, take a deep breath and sit down and list each ones strengths and weaknesses. i think you'll see that they are not that far apart. with as (ugene) has pointed out it leans to yager (i tend to value skating more than some), so some could see it differently. and as usual if there is something going on that we don't know then that could change everything. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He also signed a large deal with Vancouver to be their 2C and continued to be exactly what he was with the Penguins.

I'm not saying that's 100% what Yager will be, but Sutter was picked in almost an identical spot in the draft (11th overall) and had a really similar skillset and lanky frame to Yager. It's not exactly a stretch to say that Yager becoming another Sutter type of center isn't out of the question. Just like it's not out of the question that McGroarty only ends up a middle-6 guy either.

Like I keep saying I think they are both about the same tier of prospect but the Penguins just prefer Groats' game more. And to be fair Groats profiles as a better bet as an NHLer based on his attributes. I like Yager's raw ability more but that often doesn't get you shit at the NHL level unless you can put it all together and honestly I never saw him as an NHL center, anyway. His vision and ability to draw coverage and dish though traffic doesn't seem there enough to me. But his shot is more than NHL ready as is (most of) his skating and two way game.

To sum up I understand why they did it and don't mind the cost but in a rare instance of me not trying to hot take this thing to death... we just gotta see over the course of the next couple of seasons re: both players. Could be that BOTH teams win. Could be both lose. These guys were both picked in the "ho hum" section of round 1, after all. And we know what the numbers say.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I feel like Yager got a bit of “first real offensive prospect we’ve had for a while” hype.

In the small sample we’ve seen of McGroarty, I’m definitely not mad about the trade. He’ll be in the NHL this year and with the way he plays I think will get plenty of rope from Sullivan.

Reactions: Jacob

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Sutter was way bigger and Sutter also was dogshit in juniors compared to Yager.

Reactions: Jacob

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, I am with you here.

As for Brayden Yager, everyone here HOPES he turns into Brandon Sutter. I think he could become another Nick Suzuki.
McCann seems like a better comparable for Yager than the Sutter one. Sutter's offense even in junior wasn't that great. He was drafted high because of a combination of him being a "safe" pick and his last name.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McCann seems like a better comparable for Yager than the Sutter one. Sutter's offense even in junior wasn't that great. He was drafted high because of a combination of him being a "safe" pick and his last name.

McCann is a better comparable but I was bringing up a center comparison for Yager. Someone like William Karlsson is Yager's best case scenario IMO, but whether he either becomes that good or can stick at center in the NHL level remains to be seen.

My point with the Sutter comparison was saying that if Yager just ends up a Sutter caliber center (meaning a fringe 2C/3C that gives you like 20-20 a season), saying that McGroarty has to be as good as Guentzel to win the trade is silly.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
McCann is a better comparable but I was bringing up a center comparison for Yager. Someone like William Karlsson is Yager's best case scenario IMO, but whether he either becomes that good or can stick at center in the NHL level remains to be seen.
Another reason McCann's a good comparable. McCann was also a C in junior who seemed to be moved to the wing at the pro level.

Good shot, average playmaker, speedy player. But might make a better winger than center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad