GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Depends on whats best for him as far as developement goes. I dont mind burning a year of the ECL if he improves more then if he goes back to juniors. If hes screwed around between being anchored by Graves and sitting in the pressbox, well, then id rather not burn the 1st ELS year.
and we do know sully's track record

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
My comparison was Blake Coleman.

I don't think his production is ever going to be star level. I think he's the type of player that wins you a cup though and his attitude is undeniable in the pre-season, off ice stuff.
I can sort of see where you're getting that idea from for the comparison. Both are smart defensively, good play drivers, Blake is about 3" shorter and a far better skater than Rutger is, also Coleman is just finally realizing his potential, he had a couple of good seasons in NJ before he was moved (back to back 20 goal seasons) and his game wasn't well rounded offensively there until he joined the Flames and especially more so the last couple of seasons. But I think Rutger has better offensive instincts than Coleman at the same age.

Coleman just recently started to use his linemates more offensively and effectively, for me Rutger is already better than him at that. But I mean, I wish he could skate like Coleman, he'd definitely be a lock if that were the case, as I feel like he hangs a little back because of his skating and he adjusts his game for his positioning not to burn him if the puck goes back the other way and he is on the backcheck.

Let's be reality, if McG was any better a prospect then the Pens likely couldn't've traded for him.
I mean if we ignore the fact that he wanted out of Winnipeg entirely, yeah sure, that could be an assumption one could make.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We should not blame ANYONE for a preseason results. Vets just go through the motions.

It is about getting ready (for the vets) and proving yourself (for the kids).
The problem is, the vets go through the motions during the regular season too, and the kids are not rewarded when they do prove themselves.

That is a Sullivan trademark.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Because those are the names that frequently came up as comparisons when we first acquired him, so I was curious how close he's actually been to that first comparison.

If he turns into a regular NHLer, cool. But a big part of the hype (at least to me) was this idea that he has future star potential. Maybe he still does. I'm not writing him off. I'm just saying that if the expectation is less than that now then the initial hype was overblown.
I mean a) if you are wondering the bolded that is not what your initial post said— it was this:

“Man, those Jamie Benn/Jason Robertson/Matthew Tkachuk comparisons are certainly looking like a pipe dream now”

I can only reply to what you post. It was not “curious to see how close he’s been” to them

and b) if he’s able to produce points in the league he’ll be a similar unique player to those guys as a top liner with weaker foot speed who scores below the hashes. I think there is a big difference between “this guy will be as good as these stars” and “if this guy becomes a good player he could succeed in ways similar to these players” but I forget I’m on HFBoards where everything has to be instant gratification and black and white.

He doesn’t have to dominate preseason games for that to continue to be true. But he’s been quite solid by every metric.

and why are expectations lower after 4 preseason games he’s looked solid in?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Considering the other magical ingredient is a midseason coach firing, you should be ecstatic if Brunicke makes the squad.
And the downside is, you burn his 1st year ELC, Sullivan still doesn't get fired and the lad suffers later in the season under Sullivan's moronic coaching.

Considering this coach is f***ing Teflon, him being fired is the least likely thing to happen this season and trust me, I want this more than anyone on this f***ing board.

MORE THAN f***ING ANYONE ON THIS BOARD.

Can we wait until November until we bitch about the same things we always do?
We're just fine tuning our performance for the season mate, it's all good hah.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean a) if you are wondering the bolded that is not what your initial post said— it was this:

“Man, those Jamie Benn/Jason Robertson/Matthew Tkachuk comparisons are certainly looking like a pipe dream now”

I can only reply to what you post. It was not “curious to see how close he’s been” to them
It was quoting pixie talking about Sullivan ruining another prospect. So the comment you quoted above was in conjunction with pixie's comment. The follow-up conversation was then in regards to those comparisons and how they did in their rookie years.

You're inferring from my original comment whatever was discussed after that in future posts/discussion about him even though my original comment that you quoted was directly in response to pixie's comment about Sullivan and any sort of prospect with a future.

But it's beating a dead horse at this point. Hopefully we can be rid of Sullivan and see exactly what kind of future McGroarty actually has rather than whatever stunted development he'll probably have with Sullivan around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad