GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I just don’t think Pulju has the IQ to be a top six forward.

Also, think the Rakell bashing by some is really weird. He’s been great here outside of like a 30 game sample where his shoulder was f***ed and Sully played him on L3.
I will never understand the Rakell bashing, I defended the shit out of him here for last season and on that cesspool X/Twitter to dipshit fans that kept saying he was crap.

To put up a 50pt pace after he returned from his injury, still injured, and his impact to Sid's line even given that issue with his solid 2-way play...yeah it's why I say we should have moved Rust (to get the most for him) and kept Rakell as at least it'd make the top 6 less ass with someone that is a smart player at both ends.

And mind you, I am a big Rust fan and a bigger Rakell fan, but Rust to me is someone I think teams would covet for his playoff experience and ability and I think teams were interested in him for a while and still are.

Reactions: Khelandros

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Puljujarvi has gotten the same amount of games as Puustinen, both should have been playing far more than they have in the preseason so far. 2 games out of the 5 is idiotic.

Poulin to me has done everything in the games he has played to be sent down already, he just isn't going to work out on the Penguins and has had chances to show something and really hasn't in camp this year. It's unfortunate for him but I think its time to move on there.

But the others in camp, I don't really see why we're seeing Koppanen, Imama, Johnstone, etc still up when they should be playing Puljujarvi, Puustinen, and Glass in as many of these games as they can. I should add in Koivunen as well, I think he should have been sent down to WBS' camp already, there's a lot he needs to work on with his skating.

The irony this coming from you...
Those guys are still up because the Penguins are playing 5 games in six days and want to avoid too many back to back appearances.

Guys don't play a lot of back to backs in the preseason because they're still getting into game shape.

Reactions: pengineer

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I will never understand the Rakell bashing, I defended the shit out of him here for last season and on that cesspool X/Twitter to dipshit fans that kept saying he was crap.

To put up a 50pt pace after he returned from his injury, still injured, and his impact to Sid's line even given that issue with his solid 2-way play...yeah it's why I say we should have moved Rust (to get the most for him) and kept Rakell as at least it'd make the top 6 less ass with someone that is a smart player at both ends.

And mind you, I am a big Rust fan and a bigger Rakell fan, but Rust to me is someone I think teams would covet for his playoff experience and ability and I think teams were interested in him for a while and still are.
I thought either him or Rust should have been gone. Did not like, no, I hated signing both (unless they were intending to actually trying asset management and trading one of them)

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I hate analyzing goalies, but the kid looked great.
He did look good this time, I don't know if anyone noticed the difference in the Sabres game and this one.

For me:
  • The goal the Wings did score on him, he was deeper in his net than he should have been, but he corrected that the rest of the game.
  • Wasn't deep all game, made himself bigger, was better with his angles and moving around less.
  • Moving around less - meant his positioning was far better in this game than the Sabres one, maybe just jitters in that game.

He just looked like he did in WBS in this game which was nice to see out of him.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Those guys are still up because the Penguins are playing 5 games in six days and want to avoid too many back to back appearances.

Guys don't play a lot of back to backs in the preseason because they're still getting into game shape.
While I agree to an extent, when it's the same team, some players should play back to back - Namely the ones you want to see more out of with say, their scoring like JP and VP. Not saying you play everyone back to back, but there's instances where the Penguins have done just that. Also Jesse and Val have literally played 2 games in the preseason.

Poulin just played his 3rd game, Glass played in 3 of the previous games, will play in his 4th of the 5 pre-season games. Even Imama will get 3 games which is great for him, but also he's not really fighting for a spot on this roster.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Not one to crap on someone who’s just passed so let’s just say great hitter/all around player. Full stop.
I mean yeah but for Pete, unfortunately betting on the sport he plays especially his own team will always be there, but it doesn't mean what he accomplished was any lesser, it's not like he was taking roids or any enhancements, all of what he accomplished was legit talent.

I think it's fine to admit that and also the other stuff too, RIP Pete.

Jeez, rough day and a bit though.

Ashton, Kristofferson, and Rose in a 24hr period.

Edit: Oh and Dikembe Mutombo passed away today.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Not to denigrate the ability of known titans of the sport in Eller, DOC and Acciari but were I a Detroit fan in year like ten or whatever of the rebuild I'd be raising an eyebrow a bit at these results.
To lose to that Penguins squad while having Raymond, Larkin, Tarasenko, DeBrincat, and Kane in the line-up and scoring only 1 goal against a rookie netminder, preseason or not, I'd be frustrated.

But really, f*** the Red Wings. Some of their fans on this board - especially that one bloke we all are aware of, is still so bitter about the 2009 cup and the handshake shit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He does things that makes me ok seeing him play anyway though, he is always engaging in along the boards, around the net, he's not someone that disappears like Glass or Acciari does in their games last year and in camp for Glass. JP was doing that last season in his games when he was getting a shot - he was always noticeable in good ways, his scoring talent is there, its his other stuff he had to maybe prove to himself like that his injury was in the past and not going to hinder him.

I think a player like that needs to play games in a row and not be in and out of the line-up to really put up that momentum. But to @Empoleon8771 's take - I like the idea of Lizotte, Eller, Puljujarvi and a 3rd line of Doc/Beau, Hayes, and Puustinen

I think that's the best scenario for a bottom 6 that won't be stone handed. Although Lizotte might be out a while if that puck hitting him resulted in a concussion. So that could mean Acciari is back to his off wing on the 4th line.

Yeah where I'm at right now is:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Beauvillier-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-Puljujarvi
Glass-Acciari

I'm good with flipping O'Connor and Beauvillier as well but the rest of this lineup is firmly set in stone with what I've seen. Acciari's performance today does make me feel way better about him but he's still only an extra in my eyes.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
As far as Rakell goes I don't dislike him but I do feel like he's capable of giving more than he did last year.

It would help if Sullivan gets the lines in order and gets Rakell a steady assignment/role rather.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Rakell is healthy and I expect a big year from him. Top 9 will be the best top 9 in 4 years. No question Pens will be a better watch this year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As far as Rakell goes I don't dislike him but I do feel like he's capable of giving more than he did last year.

It would help if Sullivan gets the lines in order and gets Rakell a steady assignment/role rather.

Well he was hurt last year and in a brace.

He's scored at 53 pt pace since coming to PIT. For five million dollars that's a top line winger according to some!

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
They usually don't have full details on the extent of injuries immediately after games unless there is an obvious broken bone.

If it's a ligament or a muscle tear, they won't know until they get scans done and they won't know the severity until a doctor has a chance to fully evaluate the player.

They have a rough idea, but they're never going to share that until they have a fuller picture.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
It felt like Ned was always hurt last year too? Or am I making that up?

I can’t keep all the goalie injuries straight with this team.
He was injured in October of last year and spent time on the injured list, but that was it. He got banged up a few times, but never enough to miss time.

He's been fairly durable for his career. His issue has been consistency.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Ned potentially being injured would be a bummer but Blom sure seems to be coming along really well so hey.

Having Larsson play as well as he did last night then Blom following that up like this is encouraging for the future goaltending situation. Hopefully very near future. Tomorrow would be good.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Ned potentially being injured would be a bummer but Blom sure seems to be coming along really well so hey.

Having Larsson play as well as he did last night then Blom following that up like this is encouraging for the future goaltending situation. Hopefully very near future. Tomorrow would be good.
Also (temporarily) alleviates the logjam that arose with Murashov jumping over. Silver linings and such.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad