GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Not to denigrate the ability of known titans of the sport in Eller, DOC and Acciari but were I a Detroit fan in year like ten or whatever of the rebuild I'd be raising an eyebrow a bit at these results.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This is the best usage he's going to get, so might as well just take advantage of it right?

I don't know what blokes here expect out of him though, that 20 goal season was so beyond a fluke, at best we get what he did for the Blues, but that is still a 4th liner that should always remain a 4th liner at his highest line.
He shot 18.5%, when his average is 10.9.
I mean credit to him for shooting well for a change, but it was never gonna happen again.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
That's my point. Everyone is whining about Puustinen not getting a chance when Puljujarvi, who is trying to finish his return from significant surgery after taking significant steps last season, has received the same "limited" opportunity. Yet no one is complaining about the lack of chances for him.

If your problem truly is about opportunity and the lack thereof, then those complaints should be consistent.
Puljujarvi has gotten the same amount of games as Puustinen, both should have been playing far more than they have in the preseason so far. 2 games out of the 5 is idiotic.

Poulin to me has done everything in the games he has played to be sent down already, he just isn't going to work out on the Penguins and has had chances to show something and really hasn't in camp this year. It's unfortunate for him but I think its time to move on there.

But the others in camp, I don't really see why we're seeing Koppanen, Imama, Johnstone, etc still up when they should be playing Puljujarvi, Puustinen, and Glass in as many of these games as they can. I should add in Koivunen as well, I think he should have been sent down to WBS' camp already, there's a lot he needs to work on with his skating.
Instead, the board just doesn't like certain players and is using every opportunity to whine about them.
The irony this coming from you...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah this game completely solidified Puljujarvi above Glass for me. Who knows how long it lasts but Puljujarvi is looking really good. My 4th line right now is definitely Lizotte-Hayes-Puljujarvi. Add that to a 3rd line of O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen (although I think Puustinen has been quiet today) and that would be my bottom-6.

I also think this was McGroarty's best game so far and he absolutely looks like a NHLer right now. Still think it's fine for him to go to WBS to start, but I'd have no worries if they had him in the NHL right out of the gate.

Reactions: Fordy

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The coolest thing Poulin's done all camp/pre-season was get called Megamind by Tkachuk. :laugh:
I kind of want to see him get claimed by a team just to see if he can reboot his development and career elsewhere. I don't really care to hate on young players to fail elsewhere, but it's a shame he just hasn't made the most of the camp this year and the pre-season games, I am curious if going to another system and then working there makes it work out for him.

I personally just like seeing that sort of thing, players in those situations going to a different development system with a team and either thrive or just show that it just isn't in the cards for them. But to at least get that shot to get another look elsewhere.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
He has speed, he hasn't really shown much about using his size and skills imo in the pre-season games, also to gift him that spot over players that are more deserving is weird for me personally. Also with Rakell and Rust, there's only the 3rd line spot and I think I'd rather see a player like Puustinen there to compliment Hayes and Beau for some skill and Puustinen is still a solid 2-way winger. What I stated was there's players this team has that could also be better and deserve the same treatment if not more that have been here working hard to earn more opportunities.
Not saying I'm right but methinks JP >>>>>>>Rakell

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Fordy

May 28, 2008
That's my point. Everyone is whining about Puustinen not getting a chance when Puljujarvi, who is trying to finish his return from significant surgery after taking significant steps last season, has received the same "limited" opportunity. Yet no one is complaining about the lack of chances for him.

If your problem truly is about opportunity and the lack thereof, then those complaints should be consistent.

Instead, the board just doesn't like certain players and is using every opportunity to whine about them.
puustinen is a homegrown prospect we’ve followed for years and puljujarvi just showed up like 6 months ago. is it really that confusing?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah this game completely solidified Puljujarvi above Glass for me. Who knows how long it lasts but Puljujarvi is looking really good. My 4th line right now is definitely Lizotte-Hayes-Puljujarvi. Add that to a 3rd line of O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen (although I think Puustinen has been quiet today) and that would be my bottom-6.

I also think this was McGroarty's best game so far and he absolutely looks like a NHLer right now. Still think it's fine for him to go to WBS to start, but I'd have no worries if they had him in the NHL right out of the gate.
Yeah that’s kinda my thing. Puljujarvi looked shot out of a cannon his first couple games up and then was fine but forgettable

I think you gotta ride this until he proves he can’t be consistent though

It’s also preseason. So who knows

Reactions: Fordy

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Not saying I'm right but methinks JP >>>>>>>Rakell
I mean you're entitled to your opinion mate, but I am a Rakell fan from his Ducks time as well as his draft, so for me while I like Puljujarvi and want him to succeed, he could be better if he puts it all together.

Like I said, players have done it before - like Nuke.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If this team had moved Rust in the off season like they should have imo, to get as much picks and prospects as they can to do this whatever Dubas wants to call it with dipshit Sullivan at the helm, I think having wingers like Rakell, Puustinen, Glass, Puljujarvi down the roster is fine. You can interchange Glass and Puustinen with Geno or whatever, but yeah, there's so many players that deserve a spot with barely any spots if any at all.
agreed

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

i thought he kind of disappeared after the first. imo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean you're entitled to your opinion mate, but I am a Rakell fan from his Ducks time as well as his draft, so for me while I like Puljujarvi and want him to succeed, he could be better if he puts it all together.

Like I said, players have done it before - like Nuke.

I just don’t think Pulju has the IQ to be a top six forward.

Also, think the Rakell bashing by some is really weird. He’s been great here outside of like a 30 game sample where his shoulder was f***ed and Sully played him on L3.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah that’s kinda my thing. Puljujarvi looked shot out of a cannon his first couple games up and then was fine but forgettable

I think you gotta ride this until he proves he can’t be consistent though
He does things that makes me ok seeing him play anyway though, he is always engaging in along the boards, around the net, he's not someone that disappears like Glass or Acciari does in their games last year and in camp for Glass. JP was doing that last season in his games when he was getting a shot - he was always noticeable in good ways, his scoring talent is there, its his other stuff he had to maybe prove to himself like that his injury was in the past and not going to hinder him.

I think a player like that needs to play games in a row and not be in and out of the line-up to really put up that momentum. But to @Empoleon8771 's take - I like the idea of Lizotte, Eller, Puljujarvi and a 3rd line of Doc/Beau, Hayes, and Puustinen

I think that's the best scenario for a bottom 6 that won't be stone handed. Although Lizotte might be out a while if that puck hitting him resulted in a concussion. So that could mean Acciari is back to his off wing on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad