GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
In 3-5 years when the Penguins are toiling away into mediocrity and the prospect system is floudnering if he is still here, I guess we will spend 15 years wasting our system on a guy who has proven for 7 he can't develop young talent.
In 3-5 years? We're already there. lol

This is a lottery team NOW! And we will be picking in the top 10 this year if not top 5-6 for the next few years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Montreal had the same issue a few years ago.

Their entire development system was about telling players what they didn't do right. Sullivan does it every time he talks about a player, not just a prospect.

Poulin, Smith, etc. Players don't play comfortable here.

You can say what you want about "stupid points", "only place", etc.

In 3-5 years when the Penguins are toiling away into mediocrity and the prospect system is floudnering if he is still here, I guess we will spend 15 years wasting our system on a guy who has proven for 7 he can't develop young talent.

All of that can be true, and are major issues why I think Sullivan isn't a good coach and has firmly worn out his welcome here, while it's also true that blaming him for their horrible drafting and developing is downright silly.

Sullivan is why so many NHLers and prospects have come up to the NHL and have had zero impact, only to be cast away quickly. It's not Sullivan's fault that JR and Hextall drafted a bunch of shitty players that didn't even end up good AHL players. They don't have many young players right now because JR traded picks away like candy and Hextall didn't do anything to replenish the farm like he was brought into do.

In the draft history you posted (along with their 2015-2017 drafts), they didn't have 1st rounders in 6 of 8 drafts and only had 8 2nds and 4 3rds. With those picks, they traded a bunch of them (Addison, Hallander, Gustavsson, Clang, and Sprong) and missed out on a bunch of them (Lauzon, Phillips, Legare, Hall and arguably Bjorkqvist). What young players were even left for Sullivan to hurt? It was Poulin, Hallander (after he was reacquired), Simon and Puustinen, that's really it. And Simon carved out a nice little career here as well.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
All of that can be true, and are major issues why I think Sullivan isn't a good coach and has firmly worn out his welcome here, while it's also true that blaming him for their horrible drafting and developing is downright silly.

Sullivan is why so many NHLers and prospects have come up to the NHL and have had zero impact, only to be cast away quickly. It's not Sullivan's fault that JR and Hextall drafted a bunch of shitty players that didn't even end up good AHL players. They don't have many young players right now because JR traded picks away like candy and Hextall didn't do anything to replenish the farm like he was brought into do.

In the draft history you posted (along with their 2015-2017 drafts), they didn't have 1st rounders in 6 of 8 drafts and only had 8 2nds and 4 3rds. With those picks, they traded a bunch of them (Addison, Hallander, Gustavsson, Clang, and Sprong) and missed out on a bunch of them (Lauzon, Phillips, Legare, Hall and arguably Bjorkqvist). What young players were even left for Sullivan to hurt? It was Poulin, Hallander (after he was reacquired) and Puustinen, that's really it.

Yes. It is.

By the time this team becomes relevant again we'll have a new coach. So maybe 28-29?

Hope so.

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
Glass stood out, but can he do that when he isnt getting top minutes against an AHL team?

I like Avery Hayes instincts and speed, but seems easily bumped off the puck. I said the same thing about Koivunen Friday at camp.

I think McG starts in AHL. He doesnt look terrible but id rather him, Broz, Pono, and Koivunen playing top 6 in Wilkes. Build some chemistry with each other getting top 6 time vs playing "the right way" 7 minutes a night with "No-el" Acciari.

Poulin - apartments.com

Pickering didn't look out of place, good vision and passing.

Kevin Hayes seemed to go 39-2 on faceoffs, securing his spot in the lineup forever.

David Quinn - have you seen his eyes? Its like the first time I ever heard "With or Without You"

This new announcer should be calling the little league world series. Doesn't seem to know the game that well either.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think this whole thing is just Gurgs' insane "Ron Hextall was actually a good GM here" contrarian take that he has insisted on recently.

Kevin Hayes seemed to go 39-2 on faceoffs, securing his spot in the lineup forever.

I really hope they keep him at center, I really do not get why they'd bring him in just to play him at wing. Not only does he not even remotely have the speed to fit in Sullivan's system on the wing, but Lizotte is also going to be wasted at center in the Penguins system because he's much more suited to be a wing.

Lizotte-Hayes-XXXX should be their 4th line and I think it could be really solid, depending on who that XXXX is.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You tell us, how did you all look tonight?

Oh, you mean the Pens game?
We looked like the Penguins of the past two years.

Any chance we can talk about the team and not the users this season? Just to mix things up.
If the Pens don't give us some new talking points it's gonna be the same people beating the same drums they have for half a decade now.

So uhh hopefully the Pens/Sullivan give us a new meta to get angry/happy about.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the Pens don't give us some new talking points it's gonna be the same people beating the same drums they have for half a decade now.

Yeah like what's new to be talked about? It's the same team trying the same things with slightly different faces.

The extent of the conversations are about what the bottom-6 combinations will be and complaining that they're trying the same things over and over again :laugh:

Reactions: Pancakes

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We've taken our eye off the ball. Time to get back on track and dissect Quinn vs Reirden PPs.

They look the exact same. That's why people are irritated and keep going back to the same talking points, because nothing is changing.

It is literally this:

simpsons-weve-tried-nothing.png

Reactions: Gurglesons

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Is McGroaty expected to start in the AHL?

We looked like the Penguins of the past two years.

Any improvement on the PP?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
They look the exact same. That's why people are irritated and keep going back to the same talking points, because nothing is changing.

It is literally this:

simpsons-weve-tried-nothing.png

Yeah, just like camp.
I think this whole thing is just Gurgs' insane "Ron Hextall was actually a good GM here" contrarian take that he has insisted on recently.

I really hope they keep him at center, I really do not get why they'd bring him in just to play him at wing. Not only does he not even remotely have the speed to fit in Sullivan's system on the wing, but Lizotte is also going to be wasted at center in the Penguins system because he's much more suited to be a wing.

Lizotte-Hayes-XXXX should be their 4th line and I think it could be really solid, depending on who that XXXX is.

Let’s be clear. My argument is not that Ron Hextall was a good GM. It was just that Penguins fandom blames him for Mike Sullivan’s destruction of this team.

Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, just like camp.

Yeah and it's why this site has to manufacture things to talk about like Puustinen being put on waivers. This team is doing the same shit it has done for years while making no changes to anything. Even with bringing in Quinn, the powerplay apparently hasn't changes and I'd bet shows little to no improvement. What else is there to talk about with this team when 95% of the roster is already set?

The reality is that this team is going to be more or less identical to what it was last year, because this team seems completely content in continuing on that path. Which just makes it a boring team without upside that is also not enjoyable to watch. Hooray.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Yeah and it's why this site has to manufacture things to talk about like Puustinen being put on waivers. This team is doing the same shit it has done for years while making no changes to anything. Even with bringing in Quinn, the powerplay apparently hasn't changes and I'd bet shows little to no improvement. What else is there to talk about with this team when 95% of the roster is already set?

The reality is that this team is going to be more or less identical to what it was last year, because this team seems completely content in continuing on that path. Which just makes it a boring team without upside that is also not enjoyable to watch. Hooray.

At least it seems like St Ivany is going to get a full season.

That’s fun. Plus maybe we pump DOC’s value up and somehow get a 1st for him.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I look at Poulin’s career rather simply. Produced in the Q, OK rookie season in the A, great playoffs, mental health issue, missed a season. Consistently one of the best all-around players for WB/S last season. PKed, won faceoffs, hit, blocked shots, scored goals. He’s NHL-ready.

Had some injuries but nothing that’d be a long-term concern.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah, just like camp.

Let’s be clear. My argument is not that Ron Hextall was a good GM. It was just that Penguins fandom blames him for Mike Sullivan’s destruction of this team.
I feel like most people here consider both Sullivan and Hextall to be at fault for the current state of the team.

And also JR before him.

And now Dubas.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Graves lol. What a shitshow that contract is

Pickering will be in the NHL in a couple years. I think his ceiling is a solid #3/4 two-way D man. I've liked his stickwork and footwork from the few games ive watched him

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad