GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wish he was waiver exempt. Seems like the best thing for him would be to just play two consistent healthy months in the AHL and see where he is.

The good news is that if he keeps playing poorly in the preseason, his waiver eligiblity won’t even matter :laugh:

Pretty embarassing effort from all involved.

Almost like treating players like they are toast immediately is effecting our prospect development.

Can't wait to see how the Sullivan staff ruins McG.

Or maybe Poulin was all along just not a good prospect who only had at best middle-6 upside, had major concerns with his skating (that were noted when he was drafted) and lost critical development time due to COVID, injuries and personal issues.

Nah, it’s just all Mike Sullivan’s fault.

Glass sucks. Puus is so much better.

I’m not crazy about McGroarty starting in a bottom-6 role immediately for reasons we’ve talked about, but I simply do not see any of these other guys as improvements.

They’d never run with it, but the bottom-6 I’m advocating for at this point is:

McGroarty-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-O’Connor
Puljujarvi-Glass

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Or maybe Poulin was all along just not a good prospect who only had at best middle-6 upside, had major concerns with his skating (that were noted when he was drafted) and lost critical development time due to COVID, injuries and personal issues.

Nah, it’s just all Mike Sullivan’s fault.

1727228421421.png

Hard to not blame the organization which is at this point basically Mike Sullivan when you've gotten a combined 62 games in the previous six years of drafting.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Stupid to read into preseason but I’ll do it anyway

worry meter:

Graves: sky high. DEFCON 1. He has looked ECHL level 2x now, and I’m not being hyperbolic.

Acciari: high. Looks like Craig Adams reincarnate

Glass: getting higher. mistrust in his ability to play in this league is rising. It’s nbd if he sucks given acq cost just would be nice to get him to play well. I penciled him into my 3rd line and that may have been a mistake- I fail to see how he’s a better option than Puus or Poolparty so far.

good to see Sully play the shit out of McGroarty. I think he belongs.

Thought Hayes, Lizotte, Aho and Beau looked good. But that may just be because Hayes tried hard and those 3 are good skaters and the Sabres iced bums.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I’m not crazy about McGroarty starting in a bottom-6 role immediately for reasons we’ve talked about, but I simply do not see any of these other guys as improvements.

They’d never run with it, but the bottom-6 I’m advocating for at this point is:

McGrath-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-O’Connor
Puljujarvi-Glass

1727228622765.png

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Glass: getting higher. mistrust in his ability to play in this league is rising. It’s nbd if he sucks given acq cost just would be nice to get him to play well. I penciled him into my 3rd line and that may have been a mistake- I fail to see how he’s a better option than Puus or Poolparty so far.

Seems really weird so many people are having this take away regarding Glass.

He had a solid game except for two flubs.

So it’s Mike Sullivan’s fault for the drafting now too? Fascinating.

Drafting goes hand in hand with development. Mike Sullivan has not developed a player drafted by the organization since Dominik Simon.

We can sit here and act like the Penguins are somehow the worst drafting team in the history of the NHL or we can look at the guy who played Mark Jankowski at center and Sam Lafferty in the playoffs over a 40 goal 70 pt player in Seattle.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It doesn’t matter who played well or not, and not because it’s the preseason…none of these guys except for Hayes has a chance in hell to put the puck in the net…I’m tired of watching this Mike Sullivan low event hockey…this team will be a waste of time again this season lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It doesn’t matter who played well or not, and not because it’s the preseason…none of these guys except for Hayes has a chance in hell to put the puck in the net…I’m tired of watching this Mike Sullivan low event hockey…this team will be a waste of time again this season lol

about to hit a decade of Mike Sullivan hockey.

supremely depressing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Drafting goes hand in hand with development. Mike Sullivan has not developed a player drafted by the organization since Dominik Simon.

We can sit here and act like the Penguins are somehow the worst drafting team in the history of the NHL or we can look at the guy who played Mark Jankowski at center and Sam Lafferty in the playoffs over a 40 goal 70 pt player in Seattle.

Literally name any player on that list of drafted players who has done anything in the NHL that Sullivan never gave a chance to.

If it was Sullivan just spoiling them, obviously there should be examples of guys who had success elsewhere? But there isn’t because they drafting was dogshit over those years.

Coaching does go hand in hand with development, but there are literally only 3 players on that list who even came close to the NHL and Sullivan could have impacted: Poulin, Hallander and Puustinen. Literally everyone else was never even close to NHL caliber.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wish he was waiver exempt. Seems like the best thing for him would be to just play two consistent healthy months in the AHL and see where he is.
Didn't watch the game tonight but this could still happen. If he has a crappy pre-season, he's likely not getting claimed.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Thought Glass was overall pretty solid tonight.

It’s early. I’m not writing the book. I just don’t see what he’s gonna bring on a regular shift in the bottom 6 relative to other options. I expected more skill to link play together. He looks like an ok option for PP2?

He’s not a terrible skater but both Puus and Puljujarvi are better skaters. Both those guys bring more energy. Puus was a better scorer last year. Idk. Then if you’re gonna play him at C I’d rather see Pono.

All so far. Again it’s been pond hockey. I’m happy to change my mind. But not seeing it so far.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Literally name any player on that list of drafted players who has done anything in the NHL that Sullivan never gave a chance to.

If it was Sullivan just spoiling them, obviously there should be examples of guys who had success elsewhere? But there isn’t because they drafting was dogshit over those years.

Coaching does go hand in hand with development, but there are literally only 3 players on that list who even came close to the NHL and Sullivan could have impacted: Poulin, Hallander and Puustinen. Literally everyone else was never even close to NHL caliber.

The entire list.

Sullivan has given literally no young players outside of Marino and DOC a chance since he won two cups on the back of young players.

Dude sucks.

We'll get to see him ruin the development of Pickering and McG too so no biggie.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The entire list.

Sullivan has given literally no young players outside of Marino and DOC a chance since he won two cups on the back of young players.

Dude sucks.

Or maybe none of those guys got chances with the Penguins because they weren't even close to NHL caliber?

Literally the only place on the internet that anyone will defend the drafting records of Rutherford and Hextall is on here, and it's just because people want to blame Sullivan on literally everything. Saying that Nathan Legare, Justin Almeida and Lkas Svejkovsky were good picks that Sullivan failed due to "not giving a chance" is such an asininely dumb statement that it doesn't deserve a serious reply.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Eh, while I get why you’d watch past 2 games and say he might not be ready, hes a complimentary F, I think he’ll look solid surrounded by NHLers.

I also think he’s been really good in terms of positioning in all phases. He makes quick (sometimes too quick) decisions with the puck. Skating looks better.

We will see. Overcooking won’t hurt him either. I’m 50/50

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Issue is that most of the guys in the bottom-6 aren't showing why they deserve the spot more than him.

It’s early. I’m not writing the book. I just don’t see what he’s gonna bring on a regular shift in the bottom 6 relative to other options. I expected more skill to link play together. He looks like an ok option for PP2?

He’s not a terrible skater but both Puus and Puljujarvi are better skaters. Both those guys bring more energy. Puus was a better scorer last year. Idk. Then if you’re gonna play him at C I’d rather see Pono.

All so far. Again it’s been pond hockey. I’m happy to change my mind. But not seeing it so far.

I don't mind the addition and think he could be a worthwhile reclamation project, but I'm not exactly sure why they're penciling him onto L3 immediately out of the gate rather than letting him earn some sort of spot with his play.

I think they have 5 of 6 spots that should be figured out in their bottom-6 between O'Connor, Eller, Puustinen, Hayes and Lizotte, but no one is really sticking out as that 6th guy that I really want to play there. That's kinda why I go back to McGroarty, he's not lighting it up but I think he's outperforming most of the other guys going for that spot.

If McGroarty goes down to start, I think I'm probably split between Glass and Puljujarvi for that last spot. Either way, if you're setting it up in purely a 3rd line/4th line way, I don't really see an argument against O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen as the 3rd line and Lizotte-Hayes-Puljujarvi/Glass with how guys are performing out here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Or maybe none of those guys got chances with the Penguins because they weren't even close to NHL caliber?

Literally the only place on the internet that anyone will defend the drafting records of Rutherford and Hextall is on here, and it's just because people want to blame Sullivan on literally everything. Saying that Nathan Legare, Justin Almeida and Lkas Svejkovsky were good picks that Sullivan failed due to "not giving a chance" is such an asininely dumb statement that it doesn't deserve a serious reply.

Montreal had the same issue a few years ago.

Their entire development system was about telling players what they didn't do right. Sullivan does it every time he talks about a player, not just a prospect.

Poulin, Smith, etc. Players don't play comfortable here.

You can say what you want about "stupid points", "only place", etc.

In 3-5 years when the Penguins are toiling away into mediocrity and the prospect system is floudnering if he is still here, I guess we will spend 15 years wasting our system on a guy who has proven for 7 he can't develop young talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad