GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Just answer the question. Who's making the team over Poulin that's putting Poulin on waivers?

I'd rather waive Puljujarvi because I think Poulin is a bit more likely to be claimed than Puljujarvi, even though I think both are pretty unlikely to be claimed.
if the team is planning to move out some players for picks, they should keep both.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
What year was that? That bloke isn't getting an S4 for 25k unless it's used with high mileage. Otherwise after taxes that's closer to 60-65k.
Think he signed the year after he got drafted and he didn't get drafted our first year of eligibility so I'm going to guess in 2010. So it was probably a 2011. He bought it new cash for around 50K, and then depreciated that much as soon as he drove it off the lot.

Apparently all the guys on his team ripped him for not leasing or buying a 1 year cert pre-owned. Fair enough, I guess.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Think he signed the year after he got drafted and he didn't get drafted our first year of eligibility so I'm going to guess in 2010. So it was probably a 2011. He bought it new cash for around 50K, and then depreciated that much as soon as he drove it off the lot.

Apparently all the guys on his team ripped him for not leasing or buying a 1 year cert pre-owned. Fair enough, I guess.
Yeah that sounds about right for that time. What a wanker.

Reactions: lokomotiv15

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
dude paid cash?

Yeah at least go RS line if you’re gonna blow that $ on an Audi :laugh:
Yep. He paid cash, all the guys in Houston when he first got it were getting into him about it. Guess all the A guys just bought one year pre-owned and leased back then. Which does make sense, but I think he was fulfilling a 4 year desire with that one. But agreed, or at least an S7 if you're gonna keep it in the S family.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Again, who are they going to waive Poulin for? Who's making the team as a 14th forward over Poulin that's going to make Poulin hit waivers?

The only competition for the extra forward spots are Puustinen, Poulin, Puljujarvi and Bemstrom, unless McGroarty makes the team.
In an ideal world? Acciari.

I think Bemstrom is 1000% going to WBS. Puustinen, Poulin, and Puljujarvi is a camp/PS battle that is still going on. I'd rather waive and risk losing Acciari than any one of them. Trading out Eller or Acciari also helps open up the space needed.

That all said, it's not like any one of them is a staple in the lineup. I mean, say you waive both Poulin and Puljujarvi and both get claim, your next call ups are McGroarty and Pono. Is that a bad thing?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In an ideal world? Acciari.

I think Bemstrom is 1000% going to WBS. Puustinen, Poulin, and Puljujarvi is a camp/PS battle that is still going on. I'd rather waive and risk losing Acciari than any one of them. Trading out Eller or Acciari also helps open up the space needed.

That all said, it's not like any one of them is a staple in the lineup. I mean, say you waive both Poulin and Puljujarvi and both get claim, your next call ups are McGroarty and Pono. Is that a bad thing?

No, I'm asking who makes the team above Poulin that will result in Poulin getting put on waivers.

The only guy is McGroarty, which is possible but unlikely. No one else makes sense to keep around as a 14th forward over Poulin, outside of possibly Puljujarvi.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Yeah that sounds about right for that time. What a wanker.
If he wasn't a wanker for that, he definitely was for trading it a year later for a brand new lifted Wrangler :huh:

In the spirit of the training camp discussion, it really is crazy how little money you can make on a two-way contract if you're down in the A and I find it answers the question when anybody asks "Why is he crashing the net in a 6-1 exhibition game", or "Why is this guy throwing massive hits in a blow-out pre-season game?" When the difference in my yearly salary is 750K in the show or 67,500 in the minors, I would have run through my grandma playing bocce ball back then to stick in the league.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No, I'm asking who makes the team above Poulin that will result in Poulin getting put on waivers.

The only guy is McGroarty, which is possible but unlikely. No one else makes sense to keep around as a 14th forward over Poulin, outside of possibly Puljujarvi.
Ah, I gotcha.

DOC-Eller-Glass
Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari

That leaves Puusty, Poulin, Puljujarvi. So yeah, if a bottom 6 guy goes down, Poulin steps in. If a top 6 guy goes down Puustinen steps in which I believe what you were saying. Really, it comes down to Poulin vs Puljujarvi and that's a tough call. Honestly, I think I keep Puljujarvi.

What I was saying is you simply waive Acciari before Poulin or Puljujarvi.

Hayes-Lizotte-Poulin/Puljujarvi would be just fine as a 4th line.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yep. He paid cash, all the guys in Houston when he first got it were getting into him about it. Guess all the A guys just bought one year pre-owned and leased back then. Which does make sense, but I think he was fulfilling a 4 year desire with that one. But agreed, or at least an S7 if you're gonna keep it in the S family.

If he wasn't a wanker for that, he definitely was for trading it a year later for a brand new lifted Wrangler :huh:

In the spirit of the training camp discussion, it really is crazy how little money you can make on a two-way contract if you're down in the A and I find it answers the question when anybody asks "Why is he crashing the net in a 6-1 exhibition game", or "Why is this guy throwing massive hits in a blow-out pre-season game?" When the difference in my yearly salary is 750K in the show or 67,500 in the minors, I would have run through my grandma playing bocce ball back then to stick in the league.
my first bonus was less than 1/5th of what I thought it would be. I was so confused then finally someone pointed out it was prorated. And withheld at much more than the 22% I expected because they mixed it in with my regular pay. One of the most deflating mornings of my life :laugh:

Worst part is I left the place after a year and got crushed on proration again at the next gig. Took like 3 years to get a full bonus :laugh:

And my degree and prior work experience was in accounting lmao. I should’ve known. So don’t blame the jocks for tossing some $ around carelessly haha

• Haha
Reactions: lokomotiv15

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I kinda doubt McGroarty makes the team right out of camp based on what I saw in his first preseason game. He didn't look bad and he did some nice things but he looked like a guy to me that could use some AHL games before being thrown to the wolves.

He didn't always look like he was ready for the pace of play.

Puustinen looked good and it will be dumb if the Pens lose him for nothing.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I kinda doubt McGroarty makes the team right out of camp based on what I saw in his first preseason game. He didn't look bad and he did some nice things but he looked like a guy to me that could use some AHL games before being thrown to the wolves.

"The thing that makes this trade a real winner for the Penguins is McGroaty is NHL ready and Yager is not."

lol - ah well... still lots of camp left. I guess.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
"The thing that makes this trade a real winner for the Penguins is McGroaty is NHL ready and Yager is not."

lol - ah well... still lots of camp left. I guess.
Well, I do think McGroarty is closer to the NHL than Yager is. Him being a year older and more physically mature are both significant.

But immediately NHL ready? Yeah I don't know. Happy to be proven wrong if he adapts over the course of preseason/camp.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Completely agree…the other thing that irks me is that he’s the only prospect getting chances with NHL players…I thought both Broz and Pono looked as good at varying times in camp/games as he has tbh…again, this is Sullivan predetermining things and it’s stupid…there shouldn’t be anything predetermined when it comes to assessing players for spots who have less than 10 games of NHL experience and no outside status (like draft position) should be considered…but again this is not an open process and you can thank the coach for that lol…who it really hurts is the team overall…I mean Puusty looked good last season for 50 NHL games and he’s not getting the benefit of his experience but Glass is? Come on dude lol

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, I do think McGroarty is closer to the NHL than Yager is. Him being a year older and more physically mature are both significant.

But immediately NHL ready? Yeah I don't know. Happy to be proven wrong if he adapts over the course of preseason/camp.
Apparently he's been watching closely to get the systems down etc and focusing on the two-way / defensive side of stuff. I think offensively he'll be fine

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Apparently he's been watching closely to get the systems down etc and focusing on the two-way / defensive side of stuff. I think offensively he'll be fine
Offensively I thought he did look fine. His forechecking was solid and he made good reads there.

It was more his defensive/neutral zone reads and his ability to quickly transition up the ice that worried me. Part of that was physical (his weak skating) but part of that was I think him just not being ready for that pace of play yet. That is something that can be learned of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad