GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
It would make sense for us to waive Acciari or Glass because neither will get claimed and then it gives us flexibility to keep Pulju and Poulin up tbh.

Then again Dubas is one of those “nice guy” GMs who finds places for players when they aren’t playing like he did with Mikheyev and Barbanov.

Ya waive the guys who have zero chance of being claimed. You can always call them back up later. Good vets for WBS too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually think he would get claimed. He makes 800K and scored at a 10g pace playing 9 min a night in his short stint while coming back from major surgery. He is a good bottom 6 options and would not surprise me at all if he got claimed.

There is zero chance he'd get claimed off waivers. People need to go look at the kind of guys who do get claimed off waivers, it's not Pujujarvi.

If Puljujarvi was 24, I could definitely see it. But he's 26 already.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
There is zero chance he'd get claimed off waivers. People need to go look at the kind of guys who do get claimed off waivers, it's not Pujujarvi.

If Puljujarvi was 24, I could definitely see it. But he's 26 already.

Lamo we literally claimed a 26 year old Harkins off waivers last year who is much much worse. Are you sure you know who gets claimed off waivers?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lamo we literally claimed a 26 year old Harkins off waivers last year who is much much worse. Are you sure you know who gets claimed off waivers?

Is there another Kyle Dubas in the NHL? No one else claimed Harkins and Harkins cleared waivers multiple times last year.

The guys who tend to get claimed off waivers are younger guys just hitting waiver eligibility or players who GMs had in previous stints. Puljujarvi doesn't fit either of those.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Is there another Kyle Dubas in the NHL? No one else claimed Harkins and Harkins cleared waivers multiple times last year.

The guys who tend to get claimed off waivers are younger guys just hitting waiver eligibility or players who GMs had in previous stints. Puljujarvi doesn't fit either of those.

Dude the Ducks just signed Harkins to a 2 year contract in the summer after his awful year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I could 100% see a team claiming Pulju.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Okay? How does that have any relevance to what I said?

They gave him a 2-way deal so he'll be an AHLer for them.

No his deal is one way.

Also
Ross Johnston was picked up last year
Aj Greer was picked up

Teams with injuries always pick up guys with experience to fill out the bottom 6 for cheap that they can waive later. You have to keep the player up so teams want guys with experience too.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I dont think its outlandish to say that Pulju could get claimed. In the past year older forwards such as Katchouk, White, Ruzicka, Sanford etc were claimed. All it takes is 1 GM liking the player

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I dont think its outlandish to say that Pulju could get claimed. In the past year older forwards such as Katchouk, White, Ruzicka, Sanford etc were claimed. All it takes is 1 GM liking the player

I just don’t see the reason to waive someone besides Acciari or Glads the more I look at it.

Allows you to drop a mil off the roster if you need to. And they can always just stay up.

Same thing we did with McGinn.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Wait did everyone wake up today and realize Glass will be used as a right wing and he's useless in that spot and shouldn't be a regular if he's going to be a rw?

giphy.gif

BTW that's all on Sullivan. Glass should have started that game at C. Pono is better on the wing than he is at C.

It should have been...

McGroarty, O'Connor, Puustinen
Ponomarev, Glass, Puljujarvi
Koivunen, Broz, Hayes
Howe, Huntington, Bemstrom

Reactions: akapidots

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Wait did everyone wake up today and realize Glass will be used as a right wing and he's useless in that spot and shouldn't be a regular if he's going to be a rw?

giphy.gif

BTW that's all on Sullivan. Glass should have started that game at C. Pono is better on the wing than he is at C.

It should have been...

McGroarty, O'Connor, Puustinen
Ponomarev, Glass, Puljujarvi
Koivunen, Broz, Hayes
Howe, Huntington, Bemstrom
I feel like Sully eventually realizes the correct lineups to use but it's usually be game 70 or so when we're still four points out of a playoff spot and don't have enough time to make up the ground that he previously lost by playing stupid lineups

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like Sully eventually realizes the correct lineups to use but it's usually be game 70 or so when we're still four points out of a playoff spot and don't have enough time to make up the ground that he previously lost by playing stupid lineups
I think it's sad that these players put their trust in assholes with an agenda or just pure ignorance that their way is the right way and they know better. Shit like being in a position you aren't good in and being crap there and then being benched for it or have their ice time dwindle all because the coach can't figure out how to put the players in a position to succeed by literally just understanding what position they're best in.

Then the players struggle and some can't find their way back on track and so fans shit all over the players like it's their fault. The younger players just want to make it and some coach idiots have put on a pedestal for some reason is telling them to be like this and play in this position and so they do. Knowing that's not their skillset and what got them this far.

For me, I f***ing had it with Sully with the McCann stuff as well as other idiotic deployments and line up choices. It's partly why I want Rutger to be in wbs to play for a smart coach first before a dumb coach f***s him up.

All they had to do was look at why Glass did well in 2022-23, as a center. His natural position, some can play wing, but a lot are good in a specific spot.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think it's sad that these players put their trust in assholes with an agenda or just pure ignorance that their way is the right way and they know better. Shit like being in a position you aren't good in and being crap there and then being benched for it or have their ice time dwindle all because the coach can't figure out how to put the players in a position to succeed by literally just understanding what position they're best in.

Then the players struggle and some can't find their way back on track and so fans shit all over the players like it's their fault. The younger players just want to make it and some coach idiots have put on a pedestal for some reason is telling them to be like this and play in this position and so they do. Knowing that's not their skillset and what got them this far.

For me, I f***ing had it with Sully with the McCann stuff as well as other idiotic deployments and line up choices. It's partly why I want Rutger to be in wbs to play for a smart coach first before a dumb coach f***s him up.

All they had to do was look at why Glass did well in 2022-23, as a center. His natural position, some can play wing, but a lot are good in a specific spot.
I hate the sunk cost bullshit that Sully and every Pens GM has been doing since JR as well. When JJ was sucking so badly they still insisted on always playing him and playing him way too much just because of the contract he got.

The same is going to be true this year for Graves. No matter how bad he plays if he's healthy he will be in the lineup.

In the past making decisions like that wouldn't cost them a playoff spot because they were good enough to survive the bad JJ games and still get enough points to make it. But now making bad lineup and roster decisions costs them playoff rounds.

When you're a team that can only barely sneak into the playoffs you can't afford to be shooting yourself in the foot with roster decisions and that's exactly what Sullivan and co have been doing for years.

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The more I think about it the more I see Glass being waived. Reason being his high cap hit is going to put him in sort of a different category with different expectations than the league-minimum guys competing for the same spots (Poulin also being significantly younger). While we’re not up against the cap we can still save money by waiving him and sending him down due to the burial threshold, and there’s always the very slim chance someone claims him. It makes no sense to keep him as an extra forward at that cap hit, and if it’s between him and Puustinen as the 12th, you go with the cheaper guy all else being equal.
it comes down to will he show enough to get something at the trade deadline. if so then try to hang onto him for a while. we need all the picks we can get. imo

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Glass should never have even been brought in

We have such a bottom six logjam and it's not even impressive names fighting it out, might as well be our cheap ass AHL guys filling in

Dubas is out here collecting Animorphs when the cool kids have Goosebumps

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Puljuarvi is the exact type of player that gets claimed every year. Not because some team thinks they can unlock the offensive potential that made him a top pick. Teams would be interested because he has 1 year left at 800k and is defensively responsible. He’s the perfect 13th forward. We signed him off his 2nd hip surgery. He’s proven he’s healthy. A lot of teams would take him if they need an extra forward.

That doesn’t mean we should keep him up for fear of losing him. Who cares if we do, but more teams would be intrigued in him than our fringe prospects that we’re so worried about.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Puljuarvi is the exact type of player that gets claimed every year. Not because some team thinks they can unlock the offensive potential that made him a top pick. Teams would be interested because he has 1 year left at 800k and is defensively responsible. He’s the perfect 13th forward. We signed him off his 2nd hip surgery. He’s proven he’s healthy. A lot of teams would take him if they need an extra forward.

That doesn’t mean we should keep him up for fear of losing him. Who cares if we do, but more teams would be intrigued in him than our fringe prospects that we’re so worried about.

I honestly don't care if we lose Pulju.

But, waiving him over Acciari or Glass when nobody will take those two and if they do it's kinda like we save cap space...

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Puljuarvi is the exact type of player that gets claimed every year. Not because some team thinks they can unlock the offensive potential that made him a top pick. Teams would be interested because he has 1 year left at 800k and is defensively responsible. He’s the perfect 13th forward.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t keep him up for fear of losing him. Who cares if we do, but more teams would be intrigued in him than our fringe prospects that we’re so worried about.
He's a high level defender.
If a team gets even average scoring out of him for his role then he's definitely worth picking up at 800K.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad