GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Graves played 16 min with St Ivany last season
Graves looks better with a more defensive defenseman. If they want to move him by making him play better, maybe identify that and use him accordingly because Hollowell isn’t the right fit and a quick fix can make this game at least a little more interesting where players are not having to work harder than they need to.

Blomqvist is 6’2” and makes himself look 5’10”

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ponomarev almost just had a sick behind the back pass to Koivunen, but then the Sabres defenseman absolutely just demolished him.

I honestly think they're going to be looking at moving some of their F depth for D depth pretty early into the year.

Agree with that. Our d looks like it's gonna be a pile of shit. I don't trust any of the young options we have and we have some issues with our vets too if Letang doesn't improve on his second half play last year and if (when) Graves sucks again.

I trust MP and EK to be good more often than not but past that it's a yikes.

I think it gets really bad really quickly after their top-6, I think Aho and maybe Kral are the only serviceable guys after their top-6. I don't think Ludvig is an NHLer based on how he performed last year and guys like Shea, Clurman and Hollowell are just pure AHL guys. They really need Pickering to get good quickly or I'm really concerned about the D depth.

It also really hurts that Graves still looks like ass and they're banking on Grzelcyk bouncing back.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Listen I’m not saying Graves is amazeballs, I am saying for this game to not be a shit show, the pairings need to be fixed, because Graves being a dumb ass needs a smarter player, Clurman is smarter in his own end. Hollowell is more inclined to rush up the ice.

Or even just drop his ass to the 3rd pairing.
Shea, Hollowell
Ludvig, Clurman
Graves, Brunicke

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Disagree. Aho Gryz if we ice Graves is way better then what we were icing last year.
I hope so. I'm mainly just not sold on our young depth. But if Aho and Gryz pan out we won't have to rely much on the young options unless there's lots of injuries

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Koivunen IMO has looked like absolute shit in the games I've caught. Alex Nylander 2.0.
He was drafted in the first round, he has a higher pedigree…

Or something like that.

Also Koivunen is 21yrs old in the first Penguins camp and needs to be in WBS to work on his game, I am not worried about him as a prospect. His hockey IQ is there, he just needs to get better with his skating and some polish.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McGroarty is an absolute menace on the forecheck, even despite his mediocre speed. He has caused a shitload of turnovers already in the first period. It's not the Hagelin style of being insanely fast and just causing havoc, but McGroarty has his stick in the right spot every time to break up passes and disrupt the defenseman.

He's going to be on Crosby's line sooner than later, Crosby is going to love playing with him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Ponomarev almost just had a sick behind the back pass to Koivunen, but then the Sabres defenseman absolutely just demolished him.

I honestly think they're going to be looking at moving some of their F depth for D depth pretty early into the year.

I think it gets really bad really quickly after their top-6, I think Aho and maybe Kral are the only serviceable guys after their top-6. I don't think Ludvig is an NHLer based on how he performed last year and guys like Shea, Clurman and Hollowell are just pure AHL guys. They really need Pickering to get good quickly or I'm really concerned about the D depth.

It also really hurts that Graves still looks like ass and they're banking on Grzelcyk bouncing back.
Idk how many teams can be 9 deep at D and be ok. Not worried about the 7-8-9 guys as much.

I mean idk on the F depth either. Not seeing this great depth. There’s just like 10 guys outside the top 6 who are serviceable. No strong 3rd liners who can carry a decent 3rd line or anything. So sure the depth is plentiful but TBD if it’s good.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
McGroarty is an absolute menace on the forecheck, even despite his mediocre speed. He has caused a shitload of turnovers already in the first period. It's not the Hagelin style of being insanely fast and just causing havoc, but McGroarty has his stick in the right spot every time to break up passes and disrupt the defenseman.

He's going to be on Crosby's line sooner than later, Crosby is going to love playing with him.
Active with his stick and walling off pucks which I like.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I would love for McG to turn into a Hornqvist or Kunitz-type. Would also be great for him to already be in place and a seasoned vet for the future top-5 picks this team's gonna be accumulating in short order.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I find it really weird to be rallying against Koivunen right now when he looked really good in the prospect tournament and has the primary assist on the first goal today. Yes, his acceleration is a problem, but the hockey IQ and puck skills are clearly evident.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Rutger has always been smart with his positioning, not shocked there at all that he’s in the right position. Even in the Prospects Tournament he was smart with trailing as support and knowing where to hang back and when to block off lanes and along the boards.

Did Rob Ray just call Puljujarvi “Palmari”?
We gotta be nice with Ray, he has all of 5 brain cells left.

Brunicke is already the best of that bunch on D - I know my Mum is super happy about him doing well, fellow Joburg native.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He was drafted in the first round, he has a higher pedigree…

Or something like that.

Also Koivunen is 21yrs old in the first Penguins camp and needs to be in WBS to work on his game, I am not worried about him as a prospect. His hockey IQ is there, he just needs to get better with his skating and some polish.

Koivunen was not drafted in the first round.

He's undersized, he looks like Simon.

People are wayyyyy too high on him IMO.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->