GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Columbus will probably grab anyone that can fill out their roster with anyone with any semblance of potential.
Good…let’s waive, Hayes, Graves and Jarry lol..they need to reach the cap floor

Doubt it.

Nearly every team has a Puustinen or two.
He’s a 30 point player, or was on pace for that last season if he had played the whole year…there’s a number of teams who would give him a shot over the borderline players that are going to fill out the bottom of their rosters

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
He’s a 30 point player, or was on pace for that last season if he had played the whole year…there’s a number of teams who would give him a shot over the borderline players that are going to fill out the bottom of their rosters
Well let's crunch the numbers.

31 point pace over 82 games with the same usage. He'd be at 3 PPP's, 28 at ES.
Then let's give him DOC's blessed even-strength minutes from last year...486 more than he got. That's a 44% boost.

So 44% of that 28 is 12.
That would put him at 40 EVP's and 3 PPP's.

Grand total 43 points. Strong argument to be made that he should have stayed on PP1 longer too. He was getting it done and the others weren't.

Puusy was quite good last year. I tried to tell anyone who would listen.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Your hatred of Puusy is so weird.
Don't hate him. It'd be great if he does well and sticks.

He's Dom Simon. 20ish goal scorer in WBS. Pretty smart. But nothing stands out and I question his ability to stick on a good NHL team.

For a few years, he was the only forward prospect to get mildly excited about, so I think his value is inflated by a segment of Pens fans. But he's being surpassed now by younger, more talented prospects

If McGroarty and Ponomarev make the team, Puustinen doesn't have a spot. The only argument for Puustinen is if your other choices are potentially down to Beauviller, Poolparty, Glass, and Hayes.

But a lineup of
DOC - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Ponomarev - Eller - McGroarty
Glass - Lizotte - Acciari

Leaves no room for Puustinen.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Good…let’s waive, Hayes, Graves and Jarry lol..they need to reach the cap floor

Funny, Drew O'Connor is also a 30pt player in his "breakout season" meanwhile a player that got less opportunities that was on pace for that, is seen as the lesser player while doing it in less time.

Well let's crunch the numbers.

31 point pace over 82 games with the same usage. He'd be at 3 PPP's, 28 at ES.
Then let's give him DOC's blessed even-strength minutes from last year...486 more than he got. That's a 44% boost.

So 44% of that 28 is 12.
That would put him at 40 EVP's and 3 PPP's.

Grand total 43 points. Strong argument to be made that he should have stayed on PP1 longer too. He was getting it done and the others weren't.

Puusy was quite good last year. I tried to tell anyone who would listen.
I'm STILL TRYING to tell anyone, regardless if these twats listen.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

He's Dom Simon. 20ish goal scorer in WBS. Pretty smart. But nothing stands out and I question his ability to stick on a good NHL team.

For a few years, he was the only forward prospect to get mildly excited about, so I think his value is inflated by a segment of Pens fans. But he's being surpassed now by younger, more talented prospects

If McGroarty and Ponomarev make the team, Puustinen doesn't have a spot. The only argument for Puustinen is if your other choices are potentially down to Beauviller, Poolparty, Glass, and Hayes.

But a lineup of
DOC - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Ponomarev - Eller - McGroarty
Glass - Lizotte - Acciari

Leaves no room for Puustinen.
Glass' production at the NHL level is garbage for someone who averages 14 mins. There's pedigree there, but he should need to earn the minutes too.
McGroarty has done nothing at this level yet. We don't know if he'll play Wilkes level or hang with Sid level.
Ponomarev has 2 NHL games to his name. There's reason to be optimistic with him, but no reason to have him supplant Puustinen by default. Especially after Puustinen played that well last year.
Acciari was trash last season outside of the PK. Don't think that alone warrants an NHL spot. We have enough Forwards who can do it without him. In a fair camp, he'd be on the outside looking in atm, unless he does something special in camp to show improvement.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Well that sinks your argument, bc this is NOT a good team. He'll fit right in!

Reactions: Gurglesons

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Puus 100% gets claimed IMO. Contract is super friendly. League min for 2 years. I think he is a shoe-in for a cap strapped team to pickup, if not a bottom feeder. Happy to be wrong but he’s an easy one for a team like Colorado to give a shot.

Poulin I’m not sure but I think it’s possible.

Don’t see anyone else getting claimed… maybe Acciari? Likely Glass? Doubt either is waived.
Yea, can see some team like a Colorado claiming him

I could see Poulin get claimed by a Calgary or some Western team

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
The Penguins have apparently invited goaltender Luke Richardson to camp on a PTO.

I'm so old I thought they invited the former defenseman to camp, but no, it is a goaltender.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
“Broz capped off the tournament with four points, largely connecting with Avery Hayes for his hat-trick. Broz was noticeable every time he hit the ice, making some excellent passes, winning loads of offensive zone faceoffs, and even getting a little physical at times. The 21-year-old is set for his first season of pro hockey, and I’m excited to see what he can do after being such an integral piece of the University of Denver’s national championship last year. Broz loves open space and can seemingly pick his shot from anywhere – although he’s better as a playmaker. This was my first time catching Broz in person and I was thoroughly impressed.”

I’d really like to see him get a chance to play with the bigs like Koivunen did yesterday but the Pens are already underrating him and having him play with AHL fodder…already predetermined he’s going to the A so no real shot…terrible…he’s probably the best shooter on this team already lol

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
“Broz capped off the tournament with four points, largely connecting with Avery Hayes for his hat-trick. Broz was noticeable every time he hit the ice, making some excellent passes, winning loads of offensive zone faceoffs, and even getting a little physical at times. The 21-year-old is set for his first season of pro hockey, and I’m excited to see what he can do after being such an integral piece of the University of Denver’s national championship last year. Broz loves open space and can seemingly pick his shot from anywhere – although he’s better as a playmaker. This was my first time catching Broz in person and I was thoroughly impressed.”

I’d really like to see him get a chance to play with the bigs like Koivunen did yesterday but the Pens are already underrating him and having him play with AHL fodder…already predetermined he’s going to the A so no real shot…terrible…he’s probably the best shooter on this team already lol
He is. Apparently assisted big Hayes for a goal in the scrimmage 🫢

Reactions: Andy99

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Seeing Crosby’s goal in the shootout compelled me to make this god I love hockey

IMG_3869.jpeg

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He is. Apparently assisted big Hayes for a goal in the scrimmage 🫢
From Taylor…she doesn’t mention Broz…but the lineup is the following so I don’t understand how he got to work with Hayes…

Ville Koivunen - Evgeni Malkin - Rickard Rakell
Emil Bemstrom - Vasily Ponomarev - Valtteri Puustinen
Tanner Howe - Corey Andonovski - Jimmy Huntington/Marc Johnstone

Kris Letang - Matt Grzelcyk
Nikolai Knyzhov - Mac Hollowell
Philip Waugh - Nathan Clurman

Filip Larsson
Joel Blomqvist

Team 3 (gold)

Michael Bunting - Lars Eller - Cody Glass
Kevin Hayes - Noel Acciari - Blake Lizotte
Jonathan Gruden - Tristan Broz - Avery Hayes/Raivis Ansons

Ryan Graves - Jack St. Ivany
Ryan Shea - Scooter Brickey
Owen Pickering - Isaac Belliveau

• Jarry with a big pad save on Howe early on.

• Acciari with a wrist shot from the slot on Larsson. Larsson makes the save, but the rebound pops out to Lizotte and Lizotte buries it. Team 3 takes a 1-0 lead.

• Murashov is on the bench to start, his Penguins pads have finally come in. White base, as mandated by the team. Black down the outer end, gold triangle at the top. Still working with a blank helmet for now.

• Grzelcyk rings one off the post off a feed from Letang.

• Now Koivunen gets a breakaway, but Jarry makes the save.

• End of the first half. Jarry gets a shutout, and Lizotte's goal is the only one to beat Larsson. Now Murashov is coming in for Jarry and Blomqvist is replacing Larsson.

• I mentioned this at the Prospects Challenge, but Murashov has a fun start-of-period routine. He stands like a full-on starfish, then goes into a full squat and launches himself in the air.

• Kevin Hayes makes it a 2-0 game for Team 3, beating Blomqvist from the doorstep.

• Team 2 is on the board -- Huntington with a wrist shot to beat Murashov.

• Malkin comes flying up the right wing and tries taking a shot on Murashov but Graves drops and blocks the shot. Then Malkin gets another shot at it and beats Murashov, and yelled "YEAH!" like this is a serious game. It's tied, 2-2.

• Team 3 regains the lead. Kevin Hayes gets a breakaway and makes easy work of it, beating Blomqvist. 3-2

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The Penguins have apparently invited goaltender Luke Richardson to camp on a PTO.

I'm so old I thought they invited the former defenseman to camp, but no, it is a goaltender.

I thought the same thing!
Didn't Luke Richardson come forward as an alcoholic or am I misremembering?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Jarry already shutting out people in camp. Feels good man.
I think he had the shutout in his half 😅

From Taylor…she doesn’t mention Broz…but the lineup is the following so I don’t understand how he got to work with Hayes…

Ville Koivunen - Evgeni Malkin - Rickard Rakell
Emil Bemstrom - Vasily Ponomarev - Valtteri Puustinen
Tanner Howe - Corey Andonovski - Jimmy Huntington/Marc Johnstone

Kris Letang - Matt Grzelcyk
Nikolai Knyzhov - Mac Hollowell
Philip Waugh - Nathan Clurman

Filip Larsson
Joel Blomqvist

Team 3 (gold)

Michael Bunting - Lars Eller - Cody Glass
Kevin Hayes - Noel Acciari - Blake Lizotte
Jonathan Gruden - Tristan Broz - Avery Hayes/Raivis Ansons

Ryan Graves - Jack St. Ivany
Ryan Shea - Scooter Brickey
Owen Pickering - Isaac Belliveau

• Jarry with a big pad save on Howe early on.

• Acciari with a wrist shot from the slot on Larsson. Larsson makes the save, but the rebound pops out to Lizotte and Lizotte buries it. Team 3 takes a 1-0 lead.

• Murashov is on the bench to start, his Penguins pads have finally come in. White base, as mandated by the team. Black down the outer end, gold triangle at the top. Still working with a blank helmet for now.

• Grzelcyk rings one off the post off a feed from Letang.

• Now Koivunen gets a breakaway, but Jarry makes the save.

• End of the first half. Jarry gets a shutout, and Lizotte's goal is the only one to beat Larsson. Now Murashov is coming in for Jarry and Blomqvist is replacing Larsson.

• I mentioned this at the Prospects Challenge, but Murashov has a fun start-of-period routine. He stands like a full-on starfish, then goes into a full squat and launches himself in the air.

• Kevin Hayes makes it a 2-0 game for Team 3, beating Blomqvist from the doorstep.

• Team 2 is on the board -- Huntington with a wrist shot to beat Murashov.

• Malkin comes flying up the right wing and tries taking a shot on Murashov but Graves drops and blocks the shot. Then Malkin gets another shot at it and beats Murashov, and yelled "YEAH!" like this is a serious game. It's tied, 2-2.

• Team 3 regains the lead. Kevin Hayes gets a breakaway and makes easy work of it, beating Blomqvist. 3-2
Saw it on Kingerski's twitter. The broz assist thing

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad