GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Taylor said these were the lines at the morning skate and hence the game…I don’t get it.. do we need to see DOC at center for some reason when he won’t be playing it in the NHL? lol

Rutger McGroarty - Drew O'Connor - Cody Glass
Jesse Puljujarvi - Tristan Broz - Valtteri Puustinen
Ville Koivunen - Vasily Ponomarev - Emil Bemstrom
Tanner Howe - Jimmy Huntington - Avery Hayes

Ryan Graves - Mac Hollowell
John Ludvig - Harrison Brunicke
Ryan Shea - Nathan Clurman

Borgir

Jan 16, 2010
dEdmonton Alberta
Taylor said these were the lines at the morning skate and hence the game…I don’t get it.. do we need to see DOC at center for some reason when he won’t be playing it in the NHL? lol

If these are tonight's lines we are getting smoked.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Our young guys are gonna be playing Buffalo’s NHL roster tonight…good test…bet the top line is DOC-Pono-McG against Thompson and Tuch…let’s see it…I only wish I could watch…prior engagement…I hope people who are watching either post a detailed GDT or some good comments about who stood out…much appreciated
It's on FSN Pittsburgh so record it, like you, I have a prior engagement to attend to.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Here are thePPs too…don’t get this either…Broz has a way better shot than Glass…this makes it clear that Glass has made the team regardless lol…

Top power play: Mac Hollowell, Drew O'Connor, Valtteri Puustinen, Rutger McGroarty, Cody Glass

Second power play: Harrison Brunicke, Ville Koivunen, Tristan Broz, Emil Bemstrom, Jesse Puljujarvi

It's on FSN Pittsburgh so record it, like you, I have a prior engagement to attend to.
I don’t live in Pittsburgh so I they won’t let me pay for a stream either…it’s ridiculous for out of state fans

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
If these are tonight's lines we are getting smoked.
I mean n I would have put them together different. But I don't know if any combination of lines puts us over the top. Buffalo is icing a mear full NHL roster. We have like 3-5 guys who will be on the NHL roster

• Haha
Reactions: Borgir

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
According to Ms. Taylor Haase, the game is on Sportsnet Pittsburgh.
To check broadcasters throughout the season, go to nhl.com > scores > gamecenter
Then scroll down a bit past the team stats and this is on the right side:

1726934858722.png

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Wouldnt read too much into OC playing center. Despite being 26 he’s the kid on the real roster. Looks like they are giving him a chance to be “the guy” and a leader for a day. Maybe wear an “A”.

The one thing that sticks out to me - this isn’t your typical “all these guys are getting sent back/down tomorrow” game 1 preseason roster so kinda weird Pickering not playing.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I mean n I would have put them together different. But I don't know if any combination of lines puts us over the top. Buffalo is icing a mear full NHL roster. We have like 3-5 guys who will be on the NHL roster
The post with the line combos didn't say who was playing goal, but it probably doesn't matter. Against our D pairings, Tage may have like 9 goals tonight. But frankly who cares, it's just preseason, and it's a great chance to see who among our prospects/tweeners can compete at an NHL level.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I thought they could be running with McGroarty-O’Connor-Glass, I mentioned that last night when they announced the roster. I don’t think O’Connor is going to stick at center though, but it is interesting that they’re trying this out.

I wonder if they’re planning on O’Connor subbing in as a top-6 center if Crosby or Malkin get hurt, so they’re just trying to get him some reps at center. Not really planning on him being a center, but it’s better to have that as a backup than say Eller as a 2C.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
The post with the line combos didn't say who was playing goal, but it probably doesn't matter. Against our D pairings, Tage may have like 9 goals tonight. But frankly who cares, it's just preseason, and it's a great chance to see who among our prospects/tweeners can compete at an NHL level.
It's hockey. It's illogical. Probably gonna be a close game :laugh:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If Pono isn't on the opening night roster if he keeps this up, I'd like to know the rationale by the irrational wank bucket Sullivan.

That lad showed up to make the team and he isn't playing around.

They have an easy out..."it was a numbers game with Pono, blah blah blah"

I agree, but at the same point, more time in the AHL for these guys aren't going to really hurt them either. More than anything, I'd rather guy out some of these depth guys purely to have prospects (like Poulin) as extras. I don't mind having 12 veteran forwards lined up and no clear spots for young guys, but I don't know why they have like 17 veteran forwards. I don't mind going into next year with what it appears they'll be going into next year with (outside of Acciari on L4, makes no sense to me), but I don't also want more of these Nieto/Acciari/ect type of guys also sitting as extras too.

My hope is that by the end of the year, they're running with:

McGroarty-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Glass-Puustinen
Lizotte-Ponomarev-Hayes
Acciari-Poulin

But I don't really mind them not starting the year with that. I don't mind giving McGroarty and Ponomarev half a season in the AHL until the Penguins trade Eller and Beauvillier at the deadline.
Puustinen needs more AHL time?

Come on, Emp.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Interesting lines. Not putting Pono with Puustinen tells me he is almost definitely going to wbs. That looks to be WBS top line to start the season.

I wouldn’t mine seeing O Connor and Glass rotating at center this game to see if one can be the third line center over Eller or Hayes.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Blomqvist and Larsson. They'll likely switch halfway, as always.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If Pono isn't on the opening night roster if he keeps this up, I'd like to know the rationale by the irrational wank bucket Sullivan.

That lad showed up to make the team and he isn't playing around.

Sullivan sucks and is irrational but Pono ended last season injured. He may look good against some prospects but I would wait to see how he looks in the games before complaining about him not being on the team.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I wish Dubas had left more spots open for young players to actually grab.
Yeah opening night is going to be vet heavy.

Hopefully the team is serious about waiving the Acciari, Beau, Hayes, Glass, Nieto etc types if they don’t perform.

I understand why you don’t leave spots WIDE open for this caliber of prospect pool (remember they got McG late summer) but they kinda went overboard.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Interesting lines. Not putting Pono with Puustinen tells me he is almost definitely going to wbs. That looks to be WBS top line to start the season.

I wouldn’t mine seeing O Connor and Glass rotating at center this game to see if one can be the third line center over Eller or Hayes.
I don’t think Puusty would survive waivers but we’ll see

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think the issue is that this team's prospects, by and large (minus Yager/McG), project to be bottom-6 type guys. Pono, Poulin,, Puustinen, Broz, etc. are all guys who are probably, at best, 3rd liners. But that's also where this team loves to splurge on shitty vets with zero upside, so there's never any room, nor will there ever be any room. :laugh:

Yeah, I think most of these dudes are gonna end up bottoming out and not being NHLers, or having very forgettable careers at this level, but you gotta let 'em learn on the job at some point to see what you've got. Maybe they suck, maybe they end up serviceable, cheap players with youthful hunger.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Played center a ton in the A.

Idiot Sullivan talking about Glass’ speed and skating as an asset. Wtf.

Compared to the rest of the roster….he’s not half bad

It's all relative. Like, bottom 50th relative:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad