Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Georgiev's real salary is only $2.9m this season (i.e. $500k lower than his $3.4m caphit) which probably helps a little bit in any trade scenario.

Taking the Gibson (50%) trade as an example:

Anaheim are paying Gibson $6.4m this year. Retaining 50% means they're paying him $3.2m this year (and the next two). If they add Georgiev ($2.9m in real salary) in exchange for Gibson (50% retained @$3.2m) they'd be paying $6.1m this year, effectively saving $300k in real cash (compared to the $6.4m they're paying now) while also increasing their actual caphit by $200k. That might mean something for a budget team like Anaheim.

So is $300k in cash and a 2nd round pick enough to entice Anaheim to make that deal?
Gibson hasn’t played this season yet. Do you know if he’s out long term? Because if he’s injured long term, he’ll fit right in with the Avs

• Haha
Reactions: LurkerMcgee

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
from the Caps, the only goalie they would trade to the Avs is Stevenson, who although he has had really good numbers and showed a lot of potential, never got a chance in the NHL for whatever reason. I thought he would be up this year but nope, they are putting all their eggs on Lindgren. not sure he would right now be a better option than Annunen for us, but theoretically I wouldnt be opposed to the Avs going after him.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Fat Frank on TSN 1050 this morning:

- Avs aren’t a good hockey team right now, goes without saying given missing 5 key players. Not surprised by the poor start.

- Doesn’t expect the ship to necessarily be turned around when players come back. Says Avs won’t be able to outscore their goaltending problems and Georgiev has been bad for a year straight now so he doesn’t see this as just a small sample size.

- Not the type of team to make a desperate move and will stick to their plans, doesn’t expect big movement from them in terms of trades or coaching changes.

- Expects Rantanen to get done during the season and for it to be 8 years. Says he will come in under MacKinnon but isn’t even convinced Avs would give him just under at $12.5m. Says lots of players around the league watching this negotiation, he thinks Rantanen could go down as the most underrated superstar of this generation. Rantanen wants to stay and Avs know they can’t let him go. Won’t even entertain a trade.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
- Expects Rantanen to get done during the season and for it to be 8 years. Says he will come in under MacKinnon but isn’t even convinced Avs would give him just under at $12.5m. Says lots of players around the league watching this negotiation, he thinks Rantanen could go down as the most underrated superstar of this generation. Rantanen wants to stay and Avs know they can’t let him go. Won’t even entertain a trade.
Kypreos reported the same yesterday. That’s a good sign IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It seems the MacK cap is in play, which isn't surprising. The ask is the real question now. The rumors around a new cap percentage record could depends on Pasta vs Bread (or 7 vs 8). That would be the ~12.5. Which kinda sounds like it is the sticking point here. Avs probably wanting to be closer to Pasta in real dollars (say high 11s to 12) and Rants wanting that percentage which gets really close to Mack (though I'd bet his camp started or is at the ~13.25m of percentage record for wingers).

Basically... signs point to the ~12-12.5 range, but Avs are fighting for lower.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Georgiev's real salary is only $2.9m this season (i.e. $500k lower than his $3.4m caphit) which probably helps a little bit in any trade scenario.

Taking the Gibson (50%) trade as an example:

Anaheim are paying Gibson $6.4m this year. Retaining 50% means they're paying him $3.2m this year (and the next two). If they add Georgiev ($2.9m in real salary) in exchange for Gibson (50% retained @$3.2m) they'd be paying $6.1m this year, effectively saving $300k in real cash (compared to the $6.4m they're paying now) while also increasing their actual caphit by $200k. That might mean something for a budget team like Anaheim.

So is $300k in cash and a 2nd round pick enough to entice Anaheim to make that deal?

The answer to that probably has two parts. Is there another offer, and do they think there will be between now and the TDL.

It seems more than fair with the risk involved. I think Gibson would be fine here, and if he isn't high end, he's a very good backup, and you go find someone for him to mentor while playing on a competitive team.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't know what Toronto is asking for him but if they were to go and get Timothy Liljegren, that'd be the guy for whom I think I'd be okay with saying "Okay, now they can trade Girard." And yes I know he's injury prone and a right-hand shot.

On another note...is Karel Vejmelka still a viable NHL goalie or has his game completely fallen apart?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know what Toronto is asking for him but if they were to go and get Timothy Liljegren, that'd be the guy for whom I think I'd be okay with saying "Okay, now they can trade Girard." And yes I know he's injury prone and a right-hand shot.

On another note...is Karel Vejmelka still a viable NHL goalie or has his game completely fallen apart?

It would be way easier to find a left handed Manson so yeah, I'd do that, maybe.

Does it actually save anything on the cap though?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Another pillow soft dman? At one point it needs to change

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Another pillow soft dman? At one point it needs to change
He's not soft, a guy with underlying numbers that good doesn't play perimeter hockey.

I don't give a f*** how many hits they throw if they don't win puck battles. Puck battles are as much about gaining leverage, anticipating the play, and deft maneuvering with your skates and stick as it is being big and strong.

Guys like Joel Edmundson and Ilya Lyubushkin aren't soft, but they aren't effective either, I love a big hit as much as the next guy but not if it means the guy is chasing the play all the goddamned time. I agree the Avs is way too soft, but it ain't because of guys like Sam Girard, it's because of Kylington, de Haan, and, to a lesser extent, Malinski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad