Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
So we are allready thinking of Grubauer back in Denver.....

Holy moly...:skeptic:

The moment MacFarland pulls the trigger on this shit, he needs to be fired.

Reactions: xAvsx89

crusen86

Jun 6, 2006
I just can't help but think we completely f***ed ourselves. Imagine having a healthy Varly the last 6 years? How much does that change the picture? From team needs, to team psychology... I think we would have been better and even tougher to beat. Varly has always been a competitor.

He had so many great saves and performances for us, but my favorite mental image of him was his reaction when angry after a play. He'd push his bucket up on top of his head and just stand there leaning on his stick throwing straight shit lasers from his eyes at whoever offended him.

Varly rules, but that's just it - he was never healthy which is (probably) why they moved on. It made sense.

Now given hindsight etc Varly even playing 30 games a year is better than anything since.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
What an insane decision it was to keep the same goalie tandem. By far the biggest issue of the team and nothing was done, brilliant piece of GM work.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Varly couldn't handle the workload and Grubi beat him out that final year. Varly has been a great 1B for the Isles, but that wouldn't have been his role here.

Reactions: Bender

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I don't think it was a mistake to move on from Varly, but it is unfortunate that we haven't had a goalie as good as him since then.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Varly couldn't handle the workload and Grubi beat him out that final year. Varly has been a great 1B for the Isles, but that wouldn't have been his role here.
He had surgery on the hip.and both he and Luongo said takes a full 2 years to.feel.right again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He had surgery on the hip.and both he and Luongo said takes a full 2 years to.feel.right again.

He had the surgery you're referencing to in Jan 17. He went on to have his arguably 2nd or 3rd best season as an Av the following year. Then in 18-19 he was the starter and eventually lost the net to Grubi... which at the time it was happening (Jan-March) was a full 2 years after his surgery.

Varly's play in New York is centered around having one of the best goalie coaches in the game in Mitch Korn directing things, and then a significantly smaller workload. He's been good there and the ideal 1B, but those results likely don't translate here.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad