Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Call Anaheim...Or talk the the Islanders when they are currently in town......

We need a new goaltender.....It is what it is......

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It really does seem like Roy is hitching his wagon to Varlamov instead of trusting the clearly superior goalie.
Sorokin started to suck before Roy got there. In fact one of the first things that Roy said when he got hired was that he'd try to work with Sorokin. Seems like there's nothing he can do.

Sorokin has a cap hit of 8.25M and is on year 1 of an 8 year contract. In other words, his 8 year contract is 2 games old. That's gotta be pretty scary for Isles fans and everyone in the org.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Sorokin started to suck before Roy got there. In fact one of the first things that Roy said when he got hired was that he'd try to work with Sorokin. Seems like there's nothing he can do.

Sorokin has a cap hit of 8.25M and is on year 1 of an 8 year contract. In other words, his 8 year contract is 2 games old. That's gotta be pretty scary for Isles fans and everyone in the org.
I ripped on Sorokin last season but I don't know about "sucked" when amongst 61 goalies with minimum 20 games played last season he was:

7th in shots against per 60
22nd in GSAA per 60
22nd in xGA per 60
10th in HDGSAA per 60

He had an ok season. Not remotely close to "suck" but also not his usual top-5 goalie in the league level.

It's just strange to me how Roy immediately decided Varly is the guy he wants in goal, both for the playoffs and to start this season.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

NYI seemed to morph overnight into an up and down skaiting team rather than a shutdown defensive team, and it seems Sorokin didn't really handle the increased work load well. But even accounting for the shutdown nature they used to have, his stats were elite. I can't imagine that has changed that much. I don't know if he will be made available, but I think it's something that should be explored. Maybe come December, if Nuke is back and looking clean, and Sorokin looks decent, something around those two can be done.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
NYI seemed to morph overnight into an up and down skaiting team rather than a shutdown defensive team, and it seems Sorokin didn't really handle the increased work load well. But even accounting for the shutdown nature they used to have, his stats were elite. I can't imagine that has changed that much. I don't know if he will be made available, but I think it's something that should be explored. Maybe come December, if Nuke is back and looking clean, and Sorokin looks decent, something around those two can be done.
I don't know that NYI would ever move him and go with Varly as the full time guy.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
I wonder if they make a play to bring Grubauer back. I don’t like the idea but it would be typical of their approach plus Seattle likely wants to move him now w Daccord signed long term. Grub at 50% for Gorgiev. Gets Seattle out of the last 3years of his contract and timing would line up for when the Avs likely anticipate Nabokov would be ready. Avs really don’t have many options that won’t hurt really bad otherwise.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder if they make a play to bring Grubauer back. I don’t like the idea but it would be typical of their approach plus Seattle likely wants to move him now w Daccord signed long term. Grub at 50% for Gorgiev. Gets Seattle out of the last 3years of his contract and timing would line up for when the Avs likely anticipate Nabokov would be ready. Avs really don’t have many options that won’t hurt really bad otherwise.
Grubauer at 50% doesn't get Seattle out of his contract, though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He's honestly just as bad if not worse than Georgiev.

He has been terrible since signing in Detroit.
I don’t know about worse… but he’s certainly in the same ilk. Guy who a team wanted to have be a starter and couldn’t handle it. Given how broken Georgiev looks to be, Husso likely isn’t that broken.

I don't know that I am mentally ok with Grubauer in an Avs jersey again lol
You have to choose between Grubi, Binnington or suicide.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
The Avs management of doing the stupid goalie musical chairs instead of investing in what should have been Kuemper is biting us bad. Very very foolish behavior

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Grubauer at 50% doesn't get Seattle out of his contract, though
Retaining 50% on Grubauer and getting Georgiev in return would be cheaper for Seattle than doing a buyout.

Retaining 50% on Grubauer right now would cost just shy of $8.85m ($2.95m x 3), keeping $2.95m on the books until 2027. If Georgiev went the other way they'd be paying an additional $2.9m (Georgiev's real salary for 2024/25), so $11.75m total over 3 years.

A Grubauer buyout next summer would cost Seattle $6.73m, as shown below. But if they go that route they'd also be paying his full $6.8m salary for 2024/25, so the total cost for them would be $13.53m. And they'd have the buyout on the books until 2029.

So swapping Grubauer @50% for Georgiev right now would save Seattle $1.78m in real cash, along with having the full caphit off the roster sooner (2027) than with a buyout (2029).

1728843358571.png

Reactions: cinchronicity

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Grubauer basically has three years left on his deal. That doesn't seem like an Avs move, even at 50% retained. They'd be locking in the goaltending position with someone who is mediocre at best until he's 35.

Whether we agree with their approach or not, we gotta look at older goalies in their last year or younger, cheap, unproven options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad