Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Gotta find a way to convince the Ducks to send us Gibson and make salaries work.

It's not ideal, but it's the best shot this team has at finding a really good goaltender who can potentially cover up for the flaws of the roster and has demonstrated elite play in the past.

Injuries and inconsistency are legitimate issues with him, but there's no other goalie who is available and provides the same upside.

The fact that Dostal has likely usurped him for the starter role this season should make his value even less than what it has been.

Reactions: missionAvs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Gotta find a way to convince the Ducks to send us Gibson and make salaries work
It makes a lot of sense from us, Avs fans, perspective.

From the Ducks perspective: You're retaining 50% for 3 years on Gibson (that's a lot of money) and on top of that you get bad attitude Georgiev as a cap dump (more money). If you do that you need a very good return.

From the Avs perspective: Do you want to pay "a very good return" when you're already extremely short in assets for an upgrade that may or may not work? And if it doesn't work you're stuck with his contract for 2 extra years?

The answer is no, it's not worth it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gibson is all name and reputation at this point. I wouldn't even take him at 50% retained.

I don't think the Avs take that kind of risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOFIN

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It makes a lot of sense from us, Avs fans, perspective.

From the Ducks perspective: You're retaining 50% for 3 years on Gibson (that's a lot of money) and on top of that you get bad attitude Georgiev as a cap dump (more money). If you do that you need a very good return.

From the Avs perspective: Do you want to pay "a very good return" when you're already extremely short in assets for an upgrade that may or may not work? And if it doesn't work you're stuck with his contract for 2 extra years?

The answer is no, it's not worth it.
We know goaltenders aren't fetching great returns in the first place.

Perhaps the Ducks don't retain on Gibson, but they take on Miles Wood while getting back picks/prospects. Exact cap shenanigans would have to be figured out from there since I believe that would still be ~600K difference but they'd be getting out of Gibson's contract and losing Georgiev's contract after this season. For cheap ass owners, that could be beneficial for the Ducks on top of whatever pick(s)/prospect(s) they get.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The Ducks are happy to sit on their hands with Gibson until he either starts performing better, someone meets their asking price, or Dostal shows he's ready to be a starter.

Feel like this is the year Dostal takes the reigns - but I don't see any reason for the Ducks to deal Gibson now compared to at the TDL if they need to retain and get a pretty average return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad